Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar "Mojo" Mystery?

jimmiJAMM

Does anyone else believe that some guitars possess this unseen mystical force? I definitely do. Sometimes when I'm jamming late at night on one of my vintage babies I can literally feel it! Strange but cool.

mo·jo [moh-joh]

–noun, plural -jos, -joes.

1. the art or practice of casting magic spells; magic; voodoo.

2. an object, as an amulet or charm, that is believed to carry a magic spell.

Voodoo%20Child%202.jpg

I agree! My Gibson F-25 called me telepathically. It was in a pawn shop and the day it came out of pawn I found myself mysteriously drawn in. As I walked in the door I could feel a presence in the back wall. It appeared as if it had its own special light. I said: "Hello." and it said to me: "Where have you been?" That was 1982 and every time I pick it up to play I feel some sort of magic or energy or something that can only be described as MOJO.

I agree! My Gibson F-25 called me telepathically. It was in a pawn shop and the day it came out of pawn I found myself mysteriously drawn in. As I walked in the door I could feel a presence in the back wall. It appeared as if it had its own special light. I said: "Hello." and it said to me: "Where have you been?" That was 1982 and every time I pick it up to play I feel some sort of magic or energy or something that can only be described as MOJO.

1982 eh?

That wasn't Mojo.

That was Microdot.........

[cool]

mo·jo [moh-joh]

–noun' date=' plural -jos, -joes.[/i']

1. the art or practice of casting magic spells; magic; voodoo.

2. an object, as an amulet or charm, that is believed to carry a magic spell.

1. No.

2. Maybe...there is something about my 1989 Strat plus that feels like it is my guitar "soul mate' if you will. No guitar, and I mean absolutely no guitar that has ever passed through mu hands has felt as good. I bought that guitar in April 1999 and it is still my favorite. It's like Fender took a blood smaple from me, extracted my DNA and somehow got into this particular guitar. I have played plenty of Gibsons, other Fenders (new and old), PRS, Ibanez, ESP, USA Schecters (the only ones that matter)...this list goes on and on but still there is something I cannot explain that my '89 strat just feels better. It's like that perfect pair of pants.

What is all this talk about Mojo? There is only one Mojo.. and that is me.. Mooooooojo Jojo!

I, Mojo Jojo, am your master, and you shall obey my commands like the dogs you are! Because I am your master, it is I who you will obey! Obeying commands is what you will do! I will give you commands, and you will obey them!

mojojojo.gif

Everyone creates their own mojo.... It's not the guitar that has the mojo, it's you. When being in a state of mojoism if you are holding a guitar the mojo will transfer to the guitar but once you put it down the mojo is gone. That's why your favorite guitar idol, be it Jimmy Page, Slash, Buckethead or who ever else you look up too, plays his guitar like no other and if someone else plays their guitar it's just a guitar. A certain guitar may inspire you to play better which will help you on your road to mojoism but remember it's in you not the guitar...

Everyone creates their own mojo.... It's not the guitar that has the mojo' date=' it's you. When being in a state of mojoism if you are holding a guitar the mojo will transfer to the guitar but once you put it down the mojo is gone. That's why your favorite guitar idol, be it Jimmy Page, Slash, Buckethead or who ever else you look up too, plays his guitar like no other and if someone else plays their guitar it's just a guitar. A certain guitar may inspire you to play better which will help you on your road to mojoism but remember it's in you not the guitar... [/quote']This, 100%!

Everyone creates their own mojo.... It's not the guitar that has the mojo' date=' it's you. When being in a state of mojoism if you are holding a guitar the mojo will transfer to the guitar but once you put it down the mojo is gone. [...'] A certain guitar may inspire you to play better which will help you on your road to mojoism but remember it's in you not the guitar...

Well, I agree that Mojo doesn't come from the guitar, but you're wrong about it coming from the player.

Mojo comes from the judicious use of a chicken's foot, although some claim that a rattlesnake tail is also effective...

Well' date=' I agree that Mojo doesn't come from the guitar, but you're wrong about it coming from the player.

Mojo comes from the judicious use of a chicken's foot, although some claim that a rattlesnake tail is also effective...

[/quote']

[angry]

Talking to guitars and getting answers.

Hmmmm.

I think you are confusing 'Mojo' with 'Chicken Soup'.

[angry]

LOL, that explains everything!

:^o

I never could figure out what to do with the carrots...

Dave, I was of course joking about Mojo coming from chicken feet and rattlesnake tails, but:

1) Many old blues players put a rattlesnake tail in their acoustic guitars.

2) The chicken foot is -- in addition to being a tasty ingredient for broth -- also used to summon the Devil and gain his help. I read about this once in conjunction with voodoo superstitions.

Dave' date=' I was of course joking about Mojo coming from chicken feet and rattlesnake tails, but:

1) Many old blues players put a rattlesnake tail in their acoustic guitars.

[/quote']

Yeah but that was just for added percussion while slapping the body of the guitar and playing at the same time... [angry]

I definitely think mojo exists. I don't think that some guitars just come with it, and some don't. I believe it's something that is played into an instrument. I played my '94 SG Standard so much that a lot of the lacquer is worn off the neck, and some of the saddles on the bridge are worn down from my hand resting there all the time. Now, Cecilia (her name) has all kinds of mojo. -She's always sounded better than any other guitar (to me, anyway).

For example, I don't think that a Pearly Gates reissue Les Paul has a speck of mojo.

On the other hand, the real Pearly Gates Lester probably has so much mojo that simply being in the same room with it could make one a better player.

What is all this talk about Mojo? There is only one Mojo.. and that is me.. Mooooooojo Jojo!

I' date=' Mojo Jojo, am your master, and you shall obey my commands like the dogs you are! Because I am your master, it is I who you will obey! Obeying commands is what you will do! I will give you commands, and you will obey them!

[img']http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/mojojojo.gif[/img]

Hard to see in the picture but that is the sticker on the PG...it's a bit worn out....This is the one with "mojo." Believe it or not I do not like to use that word. "Mojo" in my name comes from MojoJojo who is my pet tortoise, and yes he is named after the monkey villian from PPG.

Picture641stratplus.jpg

Archived