Gibson Brands Forums

how many really like their their Robot LP?

dleth

I for one REALLY like it. Its a Studio. Just spent an hour or so strokin and had a blast. Great sound and sooo comfortable.

What a great deal for about $1300 Canadian.

I bought it beause it was a great playing guitar, not for the extra toys. I do actually like the quick tuning though.

I don't alter my tuning at all.

For pure bliss, I take out the R0 (Ruby). Very much a different animal.

Dave

I love my Limited edition LP Studio Robot. It is very well made and has many features besides the Robot tuning. Locking tuners, locking roller bridge, isolated stopbar, ebony board, neck & headstock binging, if it had Binding around the body and block inlays it would be a custom. The neck is closer to a 60's than a 50's, the ebony fret board is smoooth and the frets are all level and sets up great. I don't need a tuner pluged into my signal chain. A feature I found out, is if I pull out all the buttons and manual tune the guitar I can use the Robot feature just like an external tuner, turn the keys and when in tune it turns blue. Sound wise it's pure Gibson LP.

I have an SG Robot (If that counts) and I love it. The tuning option is great for gigs, and it's a really well made guitar. Like DiamondJig said, it has some custom features including an Ebony Fretboard (Which is a Personal Favorite of Mine), Neck and Headstock Binding, and some great sounding pickups. I personally love it, and I bought it for $1100 (American) and it has the Classic SG sound that every player strives for.

I've got a 2008 1st gen robot (SG). Never had problems, works perfectly and I use it for all my alt tunings - no tune-up time, no extra alt-tuned guitars.

But I'd like to get into the 2nd gen signal/sound technology. That 2010 LP Standard LTD looks very tasty. [biggrin]

Whats the fun in a self tuning guitar. What next a self playing robot guitar. Common guys learn how to tune your axes yourselves and stop being lazy. I know it takes a lot of time to tune-what about 45 seconds.

I think the lamest argument is the 'learn to tune yourself'.... uh do you still use an operator to dial your friend across the street or the other side of town?

no you use your cell phone..

I think the real catch here is there are 3 different Robot forums.

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=93 for Dusk Tiger

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=83 for Dark Fire

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=84 for the GOR

... Common guys learn how to tune your axes yourselves and stop being lazy. ...

... Let me guess you prefer to play guitar hero instead of actually playing a real guitar.

* sigh *

Ah yes, let's give room to those who want to make derogatory jokes.

Obviously they don't care that self-tuning and onboard signal path/processing has been around since the 70s and in use by many artists. Instead of making derogatory comments on the knowlege and abilities of people interested in the technology, how about giving a real reason - Tell us you don't like it, or it goes against your traditional bend, or you think it's too much tech, or too many ways to breakdown. But don't tell us we don't know how to tune a guitar - standard or alt, or that we prefer Guitar Hero to playing a real guitar.

And, so far, it appears robot LPs are an acceptable topic for an LP forum or the moderators would make a move.

I love the idea of a self tuning guitar and love the idea of fast string changes. It makes a lot of sense really, self tuning and you can change to different tunings. Makes having too much clutter around with other guitars. I always hated having more than three guitars, one for normal, drop D and C tuning. If one could do it all, I'd be happy. I'm still skeptical about the robots but hopefully one day ,that'll all change.

I do love my Traditional however, changing tuning on it makes it more of a pain. However I do normally stay in the same tuning. I'd really love to hear that new Standard robot, that might just sell me on the whole idea. I'm not a band wagoner on this, just skeptical is all [cool]

There I said it lol

Swleary-

You've put your robot opinions out before. I've seen them. No problem. And yer joke is okay too. I appreciate you make your points without spewing insults. I also appreciate the Robot and Chameleon tech isn't everyone's cup of tea.

guys sorry if I insulted anyone. Im sure the guitars all look beautiful. Just saying that some things dont need to be reinvented. I like tuning my own guitars standard or drop tuning Just like I like putting my own bait on my hooks when I go fishing. Call it old fashioned so be it. I like old fashioned just like I prefer vintage guitars with all that old patina and scratchy pots and pickups that growl with a hint of distortion.

I'm believe you meant no harm when voicing your opinions. You're entitled to do just that. With every opinion, there is likely to be another.

All good.

I too am somewhat of a traditionalist by nature. On the property I share with my inlaws (my best friends also), I am surrounded by tradition.

For example, 1913 Model T Fire truck, 1927 fire truck, old school pinball machines, multiple juke boxes, all fully restored as well as many other vintage toys.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the Robot doesn't replace the traditional guitar, it is just a different twist.

I agree - the "learn to tune a guitar yourself" comments are tiresome...just like the relic/Tom Murphy threads.

I don't own a Robot and I don't gig but if I did, I can't think of anything better than having a single guitar that can go from standard tuning to any other alternate tuning I wanted within a few seconds.

I don't own a Robot but if I got one it wouldn't be because I don't know how to tune a guitar. It would be because I don't want to sit in front of a crowd and change tunings for a couple minutes. I also don't want to buy a guitar for each tuning I use. Well... I should rephrase that. I'd love to buy a guitar for each tuning but I don't have the money. It would be very convinient and useful for me to have a Robot.

When I change tunings I'm not just going to drop D. I'm changing 4 or 5 stings or even all 6. Not fun or entertaining for a crowd to watch.

I don't own a Robot but if I got one it wouldn't be because I don't know how to tune a guitar. It would be because I don't want to sit in front of a crowd and change tunings for a couple minutes. I also don't want to buy a guitar for each tuning I use. Well... I should rephrase that. I'd love to buy a guitar for each tuning but I don't have the money. It would be very convinient and useful for me to have a Robot.

When I change tunings I'm not just going to drop D. I'm changing 4 or 5 stings or even all 6. Not fun or entertaining for a crowd to watch.

One problem, there is a limit to which alternate tunings you can use with certain guages of strings.

You'd be better off buying a guitar like the Variax, which alters the sound digitally, and is about $500 cheaper.

One problem' date=' there is a limit to which alternate tunings you can use with certain guages of strings.

You'd be better off buying a guitar like the Variax, which alters the sound digitally, and is about $500 cheaper.

[/quote']

The problem with the Variax is that you can hear yourself strum the strings if you play in a quiet environment or a studio and that can really through off your mind set. Also, many should flame that because it's a digital alteration and the purists will really have a problem with that. At least the Robot doesn't process the sound at all. It plays just like any other LP.

The problem with the Variax is that you can hear yourself strum the strings if you play in a quiet environment or a studio and that can really through off your mind set. Also' date=' many should flame that because it's a digital alteration and the purists will really have a problem with that. At least the Robot doesn't process the sound at all. It plays just like any other LP.[/quote']Good point.

• 3 months later...

guys sorry if I insulted anyone. Im sure the guitars all look beautiful. Just saying that some things dont need to be reinvented. I like tuning my own guitars standard or drop tuning Just like I like putting my own bait on my hooks when I go fishing. Call it old fashioned so be it. I like old fashioned just like I prefer vintage guitars with all that old patina and scratchy pots and pickups that growl with a hint of distortion.

You reminded of a story: my friend of mine played in a band and the guitarist was a real stickler for proper tune. So much so, he was constantly tuning during a set. Well his strings were old and he couldn't quite get it it right...finally someone in the audience got fed up and shouted at the top of his lungs, Hey! we didn't pay good money to hear you tune your guitar!"

I have 9 guitars plus the Robot LP I like the fact I can accurately switch to an open tuning in seconds and that I can nail the tuning much quicker than most people can tuning any other way.. I did a little test where i had people tune by ear and then checked it with a tuner only 2 people out of maybe ten got it perfect. One guy was a piano tuner by trade and the other multi instrumentalist with a masters in music theory. Everyone else was a few cents off(or more). Mostly they tuned the guitar to its self. My Dad corroborated this when i asked him how they tuned guitars when he was overseas durning World War 2 he said they just tightened the low e until it stopped buzzing then tuned everything else to that. Tuning shouldn't be that subjective, but it is. Then again some of the best blues i ever heard was with guitars obviously out of tune.

I guess what i find somewhat annoying is the idea that Robot owners are less of guitarist because we have an automatic tuning device. But following that logic you shouldn't own even a pitch pipe and do all your tuning by ear. Even a wrist watch could be seen as crutch using those narrow terms. I know the robot is not right for you, but it doesn't make me less of a player because i do. (My lack of talent does that [tongue] )

Archived