Gibson Brands Forums

Independence Day- The Movie

Mr. Robot

I had only seen this movie once before. It came on the TV tonight so my wife and I sat down and watched it. I was sorry I did.'

I have forgotten just how corny it was - The President got into a jet fighter and fought the baddies.

I found it extremely nauseating and jingoistic.

Did anyone else find this with the movie. Very interested in the view of you guys in the US.

I had only seen this movie once before. It came on the TV tonight so my wife and I sat down and watched it. I was sorry I did.'

I have forgotten just how corny it was - The President got into a jet fighter and fought the baddies.

I found it extremely nauseating and jingoistic.

Did anyone else find this with the movie. Very interested in the view of you guys in the US.

The key point of your message..... "The Movie"...... it's a movie....made by Hornywood-types who HATE America, and never miss a point to stick their fingers in our collective eyes.

I'm surprised the President didn't mollest some kittens before he got in the jet fighter.

If you're inquiring weather americans swell with pride when they see an actor who's playing the president do "heroic stunts" I think it is safe to say...uhm, no. I feel embarrassed, unless the president is being played by Hans Solo, 'cus he's instant cool, or if Brad Pitt ever played him 'cus that's instant sexy.

I want to see Christopher Walken play the US president...

I've seen the movie a cupla times and yeah, it's pretty corny and cartoon-like, IMHO. In fact, in ways it's kinda an updated version of "War of the Worlds."

But... You've also gotta figure that in U.S. history we have had a president leading combat troops while serving in office. Granted, it's been a long time ago, but it does have a precedent.

There also have been more than a few U.S. presidents of sometimes very different political persuasions who have had combat experience prior to serving in office.

I can't speak for other Anglophone nations, but Churchill had some rather direct personal experience of combat, too, prior to getting as involved in politics as he had been.

Nowadays a decreasing population of Anglophone political figures have had any military experience at all, let alone experience of combat situations. One might argue one way or another whether that's good or bad, but it certainly is a fact that plays into their individual perspectives.

I'm a history nut. But when I got into doing first person "living historian" stuff, it put a whole different light on stuff I'd read, from letters to books, of people who lived the era I was representing. If just study and a true effort to understand the perspective of someone in 1862 or 1872, living the same clothes and camps as back then, gives you a different perspective, how much more would someone have seen life if the were the "originals" instead of a "living historian?"

Bottom line is that in spite of this movie being cartoon-like, I can envision a younger president with military experience being more than willing to personally enter the fray, be it against a human enemy or a natural disaster.

m

It was a typical "Summer" released "Popcorn" movie! Fantasy, through and through!

Besides, if you're trying to find "great meaning," in "Hollywood," you're going to be greatly

disappointed, more often than not...IMHO. They CAN make truly great films, with great

stories, and good character development, using wonderful actors. Problem is, those don't SELL!

At least, not in the numbers, that "Hollywood" demands, all too often. Want change,

then we'll (all) have to demand better, by not supporting less than great films.

But...Good Luck, as "one man's treasure, is another man's trash!"

;>)

CB

I think you're expecting too much of it, especially considering that it was made in 1996 which was a very different time from now where everyone is a lot more suspicious of government than they were 15 years ago. That aside, while it's no academy winner, I think it's a very fun movie. You have to view it with the same mindset that you would any of the "Die Hard" films; suspend realism and enjoy the movie for what it is - a fun romp with a "Rah-rah America!" element to it.

The key point of your message..... "The Movie"...... it's a movie....made by Hornywood-types who HATE America' date=' and never miss a point to stick their fingers in our collective eyes.

I'm surprised the President didn't mollest some kittens before he got in the jet fighter.[/quote']

:-#:-s What the Hell are you talking about?

I always enjoyed the movie, Goldblum is a great actor and everything Will Smith touches turns to gold.

It's an action flick with top of the line (at that time) special effects, I never expected it to be intellectually engaging.

It was a typical "Summer" released "Popcorn" movie! Fantasy' date=' through and through!

Besides, if you're trying to find "great meaning," in "Hollywood," you going to be greatly

disappointed, more often than not...IMHO. They CAN make truly great films, with great

stories, and good character development, using wonderful actors. Problem is, those don't SELL!

At least, not in the numbers, that "Hollywood" demands, all too often. Want change,

then we'll (all) have to demand better, by not supporting less than great films.

But...Good Luck, as "one man's treasure, is another man's trash!"

;>)

CB[/quote']

hmmm sounds like a certain guitar manufacturer.

Thanks guys. Very interesting responses. I appreciate the feedback.

Of course, we aren't alone here in making movies like that.

I assume you saw Crocodile Dundee? :)

I didnt realise we had accents like that until I saw that movie.

Of course, I have a crocodile in my swimming pool [cool]

I thought the movie was OK for what it was. Just entertainment.

I know we can't take it too serious, but as far as the President getting in a fighter jet...if we give the plot a little credit, everyone on Earth including the Pres and all his staff, were about to be exterminated if thier attack failed. So in that context it's not so weird that the leader of a nation go in to combat and risk his life.

cookieman15061

Hmmmmm. Neither one. It goes back even before Gordon Dickson's concept of "The Final Encyclopedia."

As for Australian accents... I've a hunch that the Dundee movies were intended also to emphasize some of the differences between the US and rural areas of Oz as a plot element.

Which reminds me. We had a girl from Queensland up here learning U.S. Northern Plains cowboying as opposed to what she was familiar with in Oz. She hadda discover what it was like on horseback moving cattle on ice, and into still-icy mountain areas for summer grazing.

Not too much ice in Queensland, as I understand it, outside one's drinks.

m

Archived