Gibson Brands Forums

Bedroom rigs

mcmurray

What do you guys use for late night practicing?

We've got another baby on the way so a real amp is pretty much out of the question (as much as I'd love a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, I think it'll be too damn loud).

Currently I have a Line 6 POD X3 which, frankly, I want rid of asap - can not stand the tone. Other options are the Digidesign Eleven Rack, Fractal Audio's AxeFx, one of the Digitech offerings or maybe even a Mesa rectifier recording preamp. Fractal Audio has just increased the price of the AxeFx in Australia, so that's pretty much out of the question.

Are there any options I'm missing? Anyone using 100W rigs and attenuators with good results? I have a 20W practice amp but even that is too loud and is hard to set to a quiet, usable volume.

At this stage I'm leaning towards the Eleven Rack, from all reports I've heard the tone is usable and the feel is very accurate.

I need to do something. Haven't been practicing much lately due to being frustrated with my gear.

Over to you...

I have a Epiphone E-20-B from CMI. 40 watts perfect for the bedroom. I also used it as church and it was too loud there.

I also have a Alamo Fury Bass/Guitar Amp at 25 Watts, sounds killer at low volume. at high volume it breaks up perfectly.

For the most part I don't even plug in, I just feel the vibrations of the guitar, that's good enough for me.

For the most part I don't even plug in' date=' I just feel the vibrations of the guitar, that's good enough for me.[/quote']

I used to practice unplugged a lot, but it didn't do me any favours, on electric guitar I think it's quite harmful. Bass is a different story though.

I'd like to plug into a real amp or at least something that feels just like one.

Mac...

Can't you plug earphones into that Line 6?

It may not have the sound you want, but that still has to be better than some alternatives such as having a bucket of water or something dumped on your head. <grin>

Or... line out into the computer? Earphone plug into the computer?

Anything else to do earphones only?

m

Mac...

Can't you plug earphones into that Line 6?

It may not have the sound you want' date=' but that still has to be better than some alternatives such as having a bucket of water or something dumped on your head. <grin>

Or... line out into the computer? Earphone plug into the computer?

Anything else to do earphones only?

m

[/quote']

lol

Yeah mate I currently use headphones straight out of the Line 6. Most of my practicing lately has been done with headphones, I don't really have an option. This is why I'm considering the Eleven Rack - by all accounts it's a definite improvement on Line 6 gear.

Well...

My "roommate" generally is working until even later than I do, so... nobody cares. <grin>

But I think the real thing is just keeping the fingers on the strings and worry more about specific sounds for gigs when it's not a "noise" problem for others.

For example, tonite I messed with a "fourth place" guitar 'stedda my sweetheart.

Good for the fingers and a different sound, different feel, lends itself to different fingerings, etc...

Just a thought...

m

I usually use Logic 9 to practice on my macbook...has a ton of combo's and mix and match heads and make your own pedalboard and all that geeky fun! You can also use choose if you want a condenser or whatever to mic your amp.

J

I 99.9% play clean blues and I like using a Bugera V5 set at 0.1watt (can also be set at 1watt and 5watt) on the built in attenuater........

never had any complaints from the family about late night playing.

Might not suit metal/shredders and such but a good tool for late night jazzers and bluesers......methinks

Even has a phones out if your walls are paper thin.....

very little money I consider it a good value for the $

If I want to adventure then I plug into my Saffire firewire sound card and plug some headphones into my Mac.

But most times the Bug does me fine....

I've been using a Gibson GA-15RV amp with a Weber MiniMass the last few months, and it works great! Just set the amp to stage levels(when everyone's awake of course..hehe), then use the attenuator until the output is at a reasonable level.

But I think the real thing is just keeping the fingers on the strings and worry more about specific sounds for gigs when it's not a "noise" problem for others.

Yeah I think you're right. Better to be playing with sh!t tone than not playing at all...

Thing is, I need it to have a crap load of gain on tap. One can always dial it back if necessary, but if the gain isn't there when you want it, another amp is required. I'm sick of buying amps with almost enough gain.

What's the Vox AC4 or the Bugera like, gain wise?

Think I'll investigate a 6505+ with an attenuator.

how about a Blackstar HT-5, 5 watt combo made by former Marshall employees, its around $399.00 shipped for a new one and the sounds and reviews Im hearing off youtube are pretty amazing !! Thinking about one myself,, however they have a Studio 20 that looks kick *** !!

Blackstar ht-5

here is a demo of the Studio 20

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

the smoking HT 40

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I use a Pod X3 into a pair of studio reference monitors (M-Audio BX8 & AV40) or sometimes I run it into an Epiphone Valve Jr Head that I did some mods to and that head powers a 1x12 cab that currently has a Weber ceramic "California 12".

What do you guys use for late night practicing?

We've got another baby on the way so a real amp is pretty much out of the question (as much as I'd love a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo' date=' I think it'll be too damn loud).

[/quote']

First of all...congrats on the baby.

I have three kids under the age of 3 1/2...a 3 1/2 year old daughter and twin boys who are 1 1/2.

My recommendation is to go unplugged for awhile or use something that you can plug headphones into. You really don't want to do ANYTHING that will wake the baby up. This is not for the baby's health, it is for your own sanity. Additionally, you wife will probably kill you if you wake the baby up.

I use an old Fender Champ which around 5 watts but that's still a bit much to be cranking up at apartment levels. When I want dirty, I stick a crunch pedal in front of it and it still gets some nice clean compression going on at all but the quietest levels so it still has a nice feel to it.

stratlp.jpg

RichCi

I just love the photo. Simple setup. Two of the best guitars ever built. Simple fender amp. Tons of sunlight. I just want to sit there in front of your amp, take in the sun and play a few mellow songs.

^ Very nice.

You've certainly got your hands full :-

it's all good.

The other issue...which you don't have to worry about for about a year...is that you can't leave your gear out, especially your guitars. It is even dangerous to leave them hanging on the wall. My twins try to reach for everything and love to chuck stuff around.

Thanks! It'd be better if the photo was taken after we painted. [biggrin]

I switch between that amp and a Blues Jr; the Champ is (ironically, considering it's smaller speaker) the thicker sounding of the two and gets that sweet compression going but the Blues Jr is better for more bite and, well, blues tones.

Archived