Gibson Brands Forums

Good, cost effective acoustic?

Tman5293

Hi,

I'm interested in getting a relatively nice starter acoustic thats plays alright. I'd like to keep the price under $500. And just so you know this isn't my first guitar. I own an SG and a Schecter C1+. However this will be a first time experience in buying an acoustic guitar so I want to know which one you guys think would be best to start with? I want it to be an electric acoustic.

Thanks!

the yamahas are pretty nice and use dovetails. I also like seagulls and some washburns that would be in that range. Theres a thread and alot of guys liked blue ridge guitars I havent played one but want to

I played a couple of Epiphone 'Inspired By 1964' Texans recently that were superb. I know several forum members are owners, and speak highly of them too. Solid top'n'back, great pickup system and about as cool looking as a guitar can possibly be. Can't go wrong!

Recording Kings are stupid crazy values. Even my Luthier/Repair Guy bought one on Ebay - even he couldn't resist a dovetail joint, all solid woods, 1 3/4 nut and solid build. $300.

Evidently, there's a guy who has a regular listing on Ebay for Recording Kings. I think my friend's had a 'blemish' somewhere, so it was classified as a second.

Repeating what's already been said. If I had $500 I'd look at:

Yamaha

Epiphone (Masterbilt if possible)

Blueridge

Seagull

Silver Creek

Lots and lots of respectable guitars available today for under $500. Thanks, China and Korea!

Played an Epi Texan and a Masterbuilt dreadnaught Wednesday at Sam Ash. The were both very good sounding and comfortable. Strings were bad - I hate it when they're tarnished and your fingers can't even slide. The Tag price on the Txn was $450 and on the Masterbuilt $499. It was really nice.

You can get a new 03 for under $500??? If so' date=' it would be the best guitar in the class hands down. I've never seen one though.

[/quote']

naw...you won't get a new one for $500 but I've seen used ones in $600-800 lately....I'd say Larrivee is a good choice for just over $500 if the budget will go there....

Okay, odd as this may sound...

I personally care more for what feels good and plays nicely for me... for me... for me...

I'd rather have a laminated top that may rot in 5 years at $150 if if plays nicely for me than a $5,000 instrument I'm just not comfortable playing and is somehow difficult to play while using my own hands.

What fits your hands and playing style may vary significantly.

So.... take that as you may.

m

I agree with Milod here...I have some beautiful guitars, but I also have an early '60s 12-fret 000 size beater, made in China, probably all-lam and with painted on binding (!), I bought it in a junk shop for £10 and did a load of setup work on it, now it plays like butter and has a really distinctive tone, awash with overtones (oddly, for a laminate guitar), full, loud and lush sounding. I have played plenty of expensive instruments that didn't sound as good, and it's pretty unique too.

The only downside is the horrific intonation which puts it around a quarter-tone sharp at the 12th, but sticking with cowboy chords it sounds great.

I wouldn't have it as my only acoustic, but by the same token I wouldn't want to get rid of it. It just goes to show that you can't judge a book by it's cover, and it's important to think outside the box when shopping for any guitar.

Best Bang for the Buck !! Recording King ! Dreads OMs ))) or what ever . Solid spruce tops ! Solid sides and backs ! Rosewood or Mahogany . Bone nuts and saddles ! :-k Used $250 to $350 or new $500 [cool]

http://www.recordingking.com/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B8OCEK/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=3243113461&ref=pd_sl_51bednsrnk_e

#-o

WOW !! That DOES look like a great deal !! solid tops and sides [blush] good find !! I had a laminate guitar, Washburn, that sounded like a brick !! the body was so dead, the only sound came from the sound hole itself, hated that guitar, sold it on ebay,, not a fan of laminate sides because of that [-(

Archived