Gibson Brands Forums

The gulf oil thing is really depressing me

They need to put all the people responsible including not only BP executives but all the government inspectors in prison and there sentences should be increased directly related to the length of time to resolve this issue. I understand BP exec's being scumbags and taking shortcuts to increase profits but the inspectors that bought off all on this substandard work need to really be punished it's there job to protect us from big business not jump in bed and party with the people they are watching.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well... A cupla points.

1. The Nazis didn't bomb Pearl Harbor. The Japanese did. They now own much of the geography around it.

2. Alberta oil already is beginning to head south. The pipelines necessary to carry it, however, are not always popular with locals or - especially - outside folks who claim disaster will strike.

3. BP isn't the only oil company that will likely raise prices. I'm reminded that when I lived in Wyoming and had natural gas piped to the house from roughly 30 miles or less, our natural gas rates went up because there was an increasing market in California and the price could go up there - so it did for the product as a whole.

4. Shutdown of other gulf oil rigs, and of shallow offshore drilling also will result in oil price increases. Bottom line is that regardless how BP gets hit with fines, etc., price increases will help their execs and stockholders maintain their bucks while everybody else pays for it. "We" will be paying for those execs and stockholders to protect their "investment."

5. Conditions a mile under water are, from my perspective, more alien than outer space. The pressures are incredible. It'd squash any of us easier than we can squash an M&M under foot.

6. I'd like to see those responsible for this engineering disaster somehow "pay" for it. I hear calls for fines but #3 and #4 are bad enough for consumers as it is. White collar prisons aren't apparently that big a deal, especially if it's for a year or two and then a return to an estate and income higher than the US president.

Yeah, I know I'm sounding cynical. It's because I am.

m

It's always the poor animals that suffer for the human gain. Money. Money. Money. I've often said if there was a button in front of me, that if I pressed it all of mankind would dissapear off the planet. Would I press it? Yes. Would you? Would you sacrifice yourself for the planet?

Okay folks...

It's easy to forget a few things such as humans of our particular species, at least, are far from being the only species that has brought environmental difficulties onto the earth. And we are, as a species, perhaps only slowly emerging from a sort of infancy.

Our planet has undergone incredible climate changes and it appears some non human-made disasters - or at least one - nearly exterminated our species before it really got going.

I'm not suggesting that as a species we have caused difficulties for the environment around us - but I would state outright that we're now in the first century of really believing we both caused, and can do something about it.

One problem with humankind is that each generation somehow has come to believe that we're almost unique and can come up with solutions to problems that older generations didn't even see.

That's exactly the hubris that causes problems in the first place. It also brings up arguments of politics that can create some pretty interesting situations and greater problems.

Don't get me wrong. The oil pouring into the Gulf of Mexico is a horrid, horrid and devastating situation that will have reverberations for at least several generations of people worldwide.

But good solutions don't come from either panic or emotional outpouring any more than good guitar technique.

m

Corperate crooks/ back handers and dodgey dealing plus corner cutting and thats what you get, there is no way this should have ever happened with all the H and S thats in place with back up after back up in place you name it . Im in the UK but I feel for you all. I dont know how far out to sea the well is but that vast amount of oil will cause a huge amount of distruction. Im sure that the already down troden british driver will be bent over a little further and will pick up the tab. GOD hope that this is sorted out asap.

another huge worry is that we approach Hurricane season, along with hurricanes comes tidal surges which will push that oil even further inland, that entire region is in for a terrible summer, with cancellations of tourists which it so depends upon, fishing, let alone the devastation to the environment and surrounding marsh lands, if that oil gets pushed deep with the marsh it will literally take many decades before it will recover from something like that and it that oil flows untill August at the rate is is now we are screwed !! Then it guts into the Gulf Stream and flows North along the Eastern coastline,, sheesh !! its sickening alright !!

another huge worry is that we approach Hurricane season' date=' along with hurricanes comes tidal surges which will push that oil even further inland[/quote']

Not to mention the fact that the ocean is warmer now because of the oil. The could result in some severe hurricanes the likes of which you've never seen before.

This will be the environmental catastrophe of U.S. history. My only hope is that Americans will wake up and start taking fuel efficiency/conservation/lifestyle changes seriously instead of hauling their plastic bottles to the recycling center in their Escalades and calling themselves green.

Sorry Duane. There was no offense intended.

I should have been clearer in my post

To tell the truth I'm really okay with it' date=' as long as there is no mud slinging at each other, which all of you have done a great job of restraining yourselves. However there is always that one forum hack that will stumble on to this thread and turn it into potted meat....

Good-Luck[cool']

Archived