Gibson Brands Forums

The gulf oil thing is really depressing me

go ahead and say it, I am bleeding heart P*%@#^, but I am really feeling bummed out about what is happening to the gulf, I read that the top kill failed, just a horrible event, why cant they just find some ultra powerful set of undersea vice-grips to turn off the valves? why cant the weld the holes shut? why cant the government plug the whole with all of BPs earnings from last year?

how is going to effect what scientists are calling our un-sustainable consumption of oil? how are we going to be able to maintain our way of live if we limit our ability to pump oil out of the ground, how will people who live in those areas be able to deal with the toxic crap now flowing along their shores? how will we get the money to save the animals who are being murdered by the poisoning them?

Lots of questions, not alot of answers, I know I live 3000 miles away, but I am feeling really depressed about it and I kinda wanted to rant about it!

back to your regular program

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree, I live in Florida and we hear it every day about the failures, they now say that the only alternative is the drilling in sideways and put another shut off in but that will be August before they finish with that, just think of the devastation that will have occured by then

The whole thing is a tragic mess. My gut turned a little when I heard they announced the top kill wasn't going to work. I hope their next attempt works.. I hate to think of that thing going until August when they finish drilling the relief wells.

Maybe I'm naive, but shouldn't they have thought of how to shut it off BEFORE they went down and started drilling? Shouldn't they have had a 'In Case Of Emergency' plan BEFORE they started drilling? It just seems obvious to me.

Maybe I'm naive' date=' but shouldn't they have thought of how to shut it off BEFORE they went down and started drilling? Shouldn't they have had a 'In Case Of Emergency' plan BEFORE they started drilling? It just seems obvious to me.[/quote']

they were suppose to have had that, they told everyone above them like the President that they could handle ANY problems that might occur, well obviously they were misleading everyone and they cant handle the problems that have arisen.

Maybe I'm naive' date=' but shouldn't they have thought of how to shut it off BEFORE they went down and started drilling? Shouldn't they have had a 'In Case Of Emergency' plan BEFORE they started drilling? It just seems obvious to me.[/quote']

Karen, once they figure out how to get the oil out of the tar sand more efficiently. Canada (especially Alberta)

will be one of the richest nations on earth....we dont need no under water pipe line!

Its terrible and my heart aches for the damage thats being done to the gulf.

From what I understand, they had devices in place to prevent something like this from happening, but because BP's inspections had turned into basically a phone call saying everything was good, they all failed.

Yeah it's horrible isnt it? The news is depressing isnt it?

I don't need to turn on the TV or read newspaper to see that the economy is down. The other day I was outside and I saw a freakin hooker with a sign that said "no payments until 2011".

....and it'll continue for many years to come

Story of the world...

They need to put all the people responsible including not only BP executives but all the government inspectors in prison and there sentences should be increased directly related to the length of time to resolve this issue. I understand BP exec's being scumbags and taking shortcuts to increase profits but the inspectors that bought off all on this substandard work need to really be punished it's there job to protect us from big business not jump in bed and party with the people they are watching.

I follow this news on a daily news, actually we can't escape from it because it's just on the everyday's news...but it's very sad story indeed, and I hope in first place they'll find a solution to stop the leak and to preserve your beautiful wildlife and coast from further damage...but it ain't as simple as that, so it seems!

I does remind me to the dramatic situations we had in our neighbour country, France, when the oil tanker(very large crude carrier), Amo Cadiz, sank back in 1978...[crying]

I does remind me to the dramatic situations we had in our neighbour country' date=' France, when the oil tanker(very large crude carrier), Amo Cadiz, sank back in 1978...[crying']

Yep. This is a much larger drama though. If they don't find a way to plug it, it's going to affect more than just the gulf of Mexico.

Archived