Gibson Brands Forums

wine red?

dvir

The first LP I ever owned was a wine red 1980 Standard with a Dimarzio PAF in front and a Super Distortion in the back. All you had to do is breathe on the strings. It didn't do a very good job of hiding my mistakes though.

Pretty guitar though.

I like Wine Red.

Aside from being an eye catching color, I don't think it's the color most people would think of right away when they think of a Les Paul finish.

That's a plus in my book.

IMO it's like a flamed version of a Heritage Cherry finish on an SG.

Not the "Orange" that they've been calling Heritage Cherry on SGs lately, but the real red H. Cherry.

cqlove -

Killer LPC. And that's a sweet case to boot. :)

dvir -

How bad is it peeling ? (pics)

If it's not too bad' date=' I'd leave it.

[/quote']

Remember there was some guy who had a green Les Paul Studio and the finish was wearing off recently?

Remember there was some guy who had a green Les Paul Studio and the finish was wearing off recently?

Yep, you're right, I do recall that one. Hmmm... wonder if something is going on there with finish adhesion.

I like your Studio. Tell us about the mods. Was it you that posted about exposing the edge of the maple cap? Cool effect. And the mini-toggle - kill, coil or phase?

Yep' date=' you're right, I do recall that one. Hmmm... wonder if something is going on there with finish adhesion.

I like your Studio. Tell us about the mods. Was it you that posted about exposing the edge of the maple cap? Cool effect. And the mini-toggle - kill, coil or phase?

[/quote']

I changed the plastics first to look like a Wine Red Classic,

I taped of the sides right below the maple cap and removed the finish as evenly as possible using sandpaper and a Dremel sanding attachment.

Then that will remain like that until I order some clear lacquer from Stewmac just to protect the wood because the wood gets dirty with sweat etc...

I changed the wiring from 2V and 2T to 2V and a Master T, and added a mini toggle all in preparation to install a Fishman Powerbridge and Powerchip later this year, most likely...

What would be the bridge tone control is now just a dummy pot.

If I decide against the Powerbridge, I will revert to the normal wiring and use the switch for coil taps or something like that, but I doubt I will change from the Powerbridge idea.

Lastly I switched back to the black plastics and covered pickups, (Joe Bonamassa's influence, his inspired by goldtop) plus I was getting bored of the same look over and over...

I think the chrome covers are too shiny, even though they are scratched, so I ordered some aged pickup covers from RS as well as pointers which should come tomorrow...

Thats it.....:-

cqlove -

Killer LPC. And that's a sweet case to boot. :-

dvir -

How bad is it peeling ? (pics)

If it's not too bad' date=' I'd leave it.

[/quote']

i will post pics later and i have a question here in the forum there is anybody that he has peeling on the paint

Archived