Gibson Brands Forums

Pawn Shop

deepblue

It seems like you'd do your own research before asking $25000. I could tell it wasn't a 1960 from the low-resolution video without closeups, it seems like someone who had it in their hands would be able to also. It also had a Made in USA stamp on the headstock.

I just wonder when and under what circumstances the guy bought the guitar. Did he buy it as a 1960? and How much did he pay. It's not a big deal if he didn't get completely ripped off for it.

I love this show though, There was one time a guy came in with this old-timey double barrel Shotgun from the 18th century and his wife was making him sell it because they were going to have a child and she didn't want it in the house.

The deal was if he sold the gun he could use the money from the pawn to buy a new guitar.

The gun turned out to be crazy rare and the bald guy on the show wanted it bad. The gun was appraised at up to 10,000$ at auction, so when he asked the seller what he wanted for it he told him that instead of cash he could offer him a Les Paul from the early 70's that was mint someone traded in. He didn't take long to decide.

Can you imagine expecting to get a few hundred bucks and instead getting a Les Paul? Awesome.

I watch this show often too, and it's amazing how unprepared people are when they walk in there. They always come up with some outlandish price, or they have no idea what they are trying to pawn. I just can't imagine, especially with how easy it is to research things with the internet, walking in there completely unprepared. I mean in reality, his "professionals" and all the info they give could be a complete scam, they probably aren't but how would you know if you're not prepared.

I love this show though' date=' There was one time a guy came in with this old-timey double barrel Shotgun from the 18th century and his wife was making him sell it because they were going to have a child and she didn't want it in the house.

The deal was if he sold the gun he could use the money from the pawn to buy a new guitar.

The gun turned out to be crazy rare and the bald guy on the show wanted it bad. The gun was appraised at up to 10,000$ at auction, so when he asked the seller what he wanted for it he told him that instead of cash he could offer him a Les Paul from the early 70's that was mint someone traded in. He didn't take long to decide.

Can you imagine expecting to get a few hundred bucks and instead getting a Les Paul? Awesome. [/quote']

I'd go with the 10K and use only 3 or 4K to buy me a guitar. specially if I have a baby on the way.

How stupid would a guy have to be in order to know that the guitar is not a 1960. C'mon...really? He didn't know? He's a musician and yet he can't look in books or on the 'Net and see that the one thing that gives away a LP guitar made in late '69 onward is the volute? Give me a break.

So I started doing some digging online trying to find out who the guy is.

Apparently his name is Rod Miller.

Here's where it gets interesting....

The "expert" that came in to look at the LP was from Cowtown Guitars. His name is Jesse.

But guess what? From what I've found online Rod Miller works at Cowtown Guitars as a luthier and guitar tech.

Hmmmm. Go figure.

The best part?

Rod didn't want to get rid of the LP for $2G (as he states at the end of the clip).

But here it is listed as sold on the Cowtown website: http://www.cowtownguitars.com/itemtest2.php?invno=glp537&itemtop=includes/gibsonitemtop.txt

And the guitar traded for the antique gun that was mentioned in an above post?

Apparently this is it on the Cowtown website too: http://www.cowtownguitars.com/itemtest2.php?invno=glp539&itemtop=includes/gibsonitemtop.txt

Love that show.

As for the guy not knowing exactly what he has, you have to remember that those of us who haunt these kinds of message boards are real guitar geeks and most of us know a helluva lot more about gear than the average person because we read about it all the time. Some dude like the guy in the video seems like he's a working professional musician (as assumed from his comment about taking the guitar back out on the road) and probably spends more of his time playing guitar than reading about gear.

Please re-read post #12.

Here is the bit I found most interesting;

...So I started doing some digging online trying to find out who the guy is.

The "expert" that came in to look at the LP was from Cowtown Guitars. His name is Jesse. But guess what? From what I've found online Rod Miller works at Cowtown Guitars as a luthier and guitar tech.

Hmmmm. Go figure.

I could have sworn that I had some text at the end of my post that mentioned the LP that was traded for the gun (mentioned in an above post) with a link showing it on the Cowtown website (unless I was wrong and that wasn't the guitar and I was edited without being told so).

Please re-read post #12.

There are lots of posts online about him supposedly working there but I did find one where a guy actually said he was in there recently and dealt with this Rod guy himself and mentioned that he was the guy who had brought in the LP to Pawn Stars.

And then I found a ratings website that gave props to Rod at Cowtown for doing an excellent job.

So I'm inclined to believe it really was a fake, scripted bit.

Please re-read post #12.

The "expert" that came in to look at the LP was from Cowtown Guitars. His name is Jesse.

But guess what? From what I've found online Rod Miller works at Cowtown Guitars as a luthier and guitar tech.

Hmmmm. Go figure.

The best part?

Rod didn't want to get rid of the LP for $2G (as he states at the end of the clip).

But here it is listed as sold on the Cowtown website: http://www.cowtownguitars.com/itemtest2.php?invno=glp537&itemtop=includes/gibsonitemtop.txt

Apparently this is it on the Cowtown website too: http://www.cowtownguitars.com/itemtest2.php?invno=glp539&itemtop=includes/gibsonitemtop.txt

Well... What can I say? I too work with dumbasses who call themselves pros.

How stupid would a guy have to be in order to know that the guitar is not a 1960. C'mon...really? He didn't know? He's a musician and yet he can't look in books or on the 'Net and see that the one thing that gives away a LP guitar made in late '69 onward is the volute? Give me a break.

Hmmmm. Go figure.

The best part?

Well done!...great detective work!

Hey....Jesse's e-mail addy is on their web site...should we all send him a note to say that hes not as crafty

as he likes to think? lol

Archived