Gibson Brands Forums

An open mic and a new fool

McDuff

So I have been playing guitar heavily for a little over two years now and have stumbled through writing some songs learned more chords than I thought existed five years ago and learned the amazing importance of picking out the correct strings and swapping out your plastic nut and saddle for bone. Long story short I have taken a lot of steps towards becoming a compotent player (still have a ways to go though). So I have been invited by a friend to an open mic night at a coffee house. This has me a little more nervous than I expected quite honestly. I have played in front of people before but nothing more than just passing a guitar around with a couple friends or failing at wooing a girl. I don't even have a guitar with a built in pick up. So I suppose I am just looking for some general advice. More than anything I'm torn about wether I should try to do something original or if it is better to take a safer route and just do a cover. I'm not nervous being infront of a lot of people normally but this is the first time I'll be doing anything for a crowd where I care about the out come.

open mikes can be alot of fun, usually the crowds are pretty easy on people,, you should go watch a few people play, get a feel for the crowd,, which songs do you feel you play the best and are most comfortable playing ? what have your friends told you they like ? Your material or covers ? I think if you have a really good original that would work just fine, just go out there and have fun, the more you do it the easier it becomes [angry]

In my opinion open mics are the best way to ease into performing in front of groups of people. SGSpecialguy is right that the crowds are usually pretty easy going. It's usually a very supportive situation.

So with that in mind, I would recommend an original.

Open mic night can take you to the next level as far as playing guitar and performing. It can be a little un-nerving to begin with, but if you love to play it's very satisfying. You already have a "leg-up" on the others by not being nervous in front of a crowd. My advice to you would be to just start off by playing one or two songs that you do really well. Do those and then learn from the experience. Be confident in your delivery of the song and try to relax. The more you do this, it just becomes second nature. You can then build on your number of songs that you do. The biggest thing is to be confident in yourself and your performance. I think you'll do just fine!

open mics are great id play a cover then maybe switch into an original or something. they will probably mic your guitar, before i bought my j45 i had a dean markly pickup that you just put under the strings it wasnt too bad.

(in a different key) would be my suggestion [biggrin]

Definitely going to second that. Playing two songs back to back in the same key is a downer' date=' even if the listeners don't realize it at first. And if your original actually ends up being the same key as your cover, just drop a capo! You can sing that original a half step up, can't ya?? [biggrin

Honest truth, I never got over the anxiety of live performance. I worked in bands playing 2-5 nights a week for many years and was always a bundle of nerves. Scared shitless everytime. But it was something I truly wanted to do, so I learned to deal with it as best I could. Having a supporting cast of able musicians did help some. Working solo terrifies me.

Take comfort in the fact that most folks that jump on stage behind a mic feel much like you do - you're not alone.

Everybody has to start somewhere and an open mic night is as good a place as any.

I would jump in with both feet and do an original. You are going to want to see if the folks like your tunes at some time or the other so as they say - no guts, no glory.

I'd lead off with something you feel comfortable with. If its an original, power to you. In any case, what you want is something where you don't have to think about the lyric or the guitar part but can put your energy into putting it over. You see one smile out there and you will be up and running.

I would go with an original---because if something goes wrong;like a missed chord or a flub---

no-one will really know...unless your originals are known.

I would also try to remember to breathe---because it will seem like a blur---you will almost feel like it went by too fast.

Just try to take in the moment---be there--have fun --

and most important of all...

try to get inside the song and really perform it---like you really believe in it and you really feel the meaning of it---this usually translates to the audience pulling for you...

good luck

As everyone is suggesting: the more you play, the more relaxed you will be. One thing I would stress is to play what you know. If you're not sure of it, don't play it, because if you're screwing it up at home you're sure to do the same when you attempt it in public. OR, you can have the attitude that you're going to have a blast and really not give a damn what someone else thinks.........so play the songs you love, even if they're not perfect yet. Open mics are a great way to build your confidence and technique in front of an audience.. One more thing------don't worry about what the other pickers are playing, or how good they are, etc. Just concentrate on who and what "you" are. Be real and people will notice you.

Well it seems like the consensus is to just go for it. I'm glad to find such great support, especially from folks as talented as yourselves. What is the etiquette in regards to the length of the songs? For instance one of the songs I am most comforadble with is tangled up in blue. This is however a ten minute song, which gives me ample time to screw it up or perhaps be a mic hog. On the other hand my originals tend to be rather short so that may work out well. As for preforming for real drinkers, it would probably be more of a hassle than its worth to play at those places as I am only 18, still though I get the feeling some one with a few drinks would be a little less technically critical. I guess really it comes down to I'll have to practice and jump into it.

My first open mic was when I was 15 or 16... Can't remember - it was soooo longtime ago.

Was I nervous - may be yes, sure a lot...

But what I got fast was that I LIKE THAT!

First I liked to be exposed before others and show them things that they can not do.

My way.

I habituated fast and started to learn new things - how to get the energy of the audience and to "hitch" it "to draw" my performance.

It needs practice.

It needs self confidence.

It needs talent and luck.

And for sure it NEEDS A LOT OF WORK!

If I am nervous now at this age when I get on stage - this is not because I am scared of the crowd, but because I am scared of my imperfection... That I will commit some stupid mistake...

But that is because I play seldom before audience. And I try to compensate "doing my homeworks" :-

What I know 100% now is that I belong to the stage. That my place is there.

There I feel complete.

And I ride big waves of audience's energy...

And I don't like much singing in pubs, saloons, restaurants and the rest...

What I need is real stage in a real theater.

Because I am an artist.

Tangled up in blue? Maybe. Desolation Row--a definite no. I remember reading about Robbie Robertson saying to Dylan about those long songs, "Curtis Mayfield isnt saying much but he's killing me, you are going on and losing me." unless its flat out mesmerizing, those long pieces can strain an audiences attention.

This came up at our local mic recently. Guy did 2 originals, good stuff but way long, not much in the way of dynamics shifts to give a spark, so the thing started to drag on. I think even Dylan would concede that at some level you have to "entertain".

Open mics are not all alike. They'll vary on how much time or how many songs you can do. You might get 3 songs or you might get 5-6 minutes. Then again, if not too many folks show-up, you might get to do a few more songs. I used to run one at Barnes & Noble and we'd get 12-15 people to sign-up and have 100 folks filling-up the coffeeshop area and standing around watching us. Those were three very good years..........Anyway, you've got the right idea...Just play.

http://www.family-friendly-music.com/

Remember to practice using the same "posture," ie: stand or sitting as you will be using at the stage. Practice your songs in front of a mirror or video it. Oh and practice till you know it cold.Have fun we do this because we like it.

:-k

Go to a few open mics. It will ease the tension by seeing what the audience is experiencing. It may help alleviate that "unknown" aspect of performing.

Watching someone else's performance in the same venue, may reenforce to you that "Hell I can do that".

When you open, perform something that you are very very comfortable with and preferably upbeat and short. No epics at this point. No "I am hanging on to the edge of the world's ledge" songs.

After your first round of applause you will be more relaxed. Do not get get fixated on what the audience is doing, because they will be eating, drinking, talking, etc. It doesn't mean they are not listening to you. None of us stare at a wall speaker when we are in a club, yet we hear the music.

And if you haven't been thrown out you before your last set, you will probably want to continue doing them.

Also, a half a beer doesn't hurt before you go on.

Good luck and let know how it goes.

I have picked out the songs. I figure I will go with tangled up in blue and if I have enough time a very short original that's more focused on finger picking.It is on monday so I'll be sure to report back then. Thanks again for all the support folks.

I went, played tangled up in blue and an original. They apparently use a standard of three songs but I had only the two prepared. I was happy with the response but I caught my self shaking my head during tangled up in blue because I got into it wich was embarressing and I didn't think I would end up sweating as much as I did but it was a fun night something electric about people listening to you. Kind of exhausting though.

Bluesbreather...

I was gonna recommend making like you're tuning your guitar... hitting the bottom E and working up...

"I thought I'd start with a Chinese standard," you say. Pause about 5 seconds. "Tu - Ning..."

Gets a bit of the crowd with you... You see a smile and relax a bit more.

Smile... then even if you blow it, it looks like you're having fun.

m

I don't see anything wrong with getting into the song and performance. On the contrary, I think it usually results in a better rendition of the song, and can add to the performance, provided it's not over the top. In any event, congratulations for getting this one under your belt. The next one will be easier, but don't get complacent in your preparation.

By the way, where did you play in Boulder?

Archived