Gibson Brands Forums

What's the ugliest thing you've ever bought?

ksdaddy

I mean on purpose, right in front of God and everyone?

About ten years ago I bought the rectangular plate at a yard sale. It's even uglier in person; the back is painted mustard yellow. Today I bought whatever the black and copper things are, a buck apiece at a used junk shop. They weigh a ton and I think they're cast metal of some kind. Bookends maybe? Butt friggin' ugly and I had to have them.

Come to think of it, the candy dish in the background is a contender too.

2wq4jsl.jpg

Fess up. What have you brought home because it was so ugly you HAD to have it?

Edit: I bought the 1940s Apex wringer washer in my avatar for $15 a couple weeks ago, just because I wanted it and I dared myself to buy it and a little part of me wanted to irk my wife (didn't work, she's as nutty as me...). But then I got messing with it and got it running, now I almost fight my wife for dirty clothes. I keep it in the garage, fill it up with the garden hose, use modern soap plus Fels naptha soap on stains, and hang them on the line just as if I were in my right mind (you guys know better).

I think it's beautiful.

16bcbgh.jpg

I mean on purpose' date=' right in front of God and everyone?

About ten years ago I bought the rectangular plate at a yard sale. It's even uglier in person; the back is painted mustard yellow. Today I bought whatever the black and copper things are, a buck apiece at a used junk shop. They weigh a ton and I think they're cast metal of some kind. Bookends maybe? Butt friggin' ugly and I had to have them.

Come to think of it, the candy dish in the background is a contender too.

[img']http://i50.tinypic.com/2wq4jsl.jpg[/img]

Fess up. What have you brought home because it was so ugly you HAD to have it?

I watch Antique Road Show all the time on PBS, I bet that ugly dish is worth a small fortune....some of the crap I've seen on that show makes that look good.

Edit: I bought the 1940s Apex wringer washer in my avatar for $15 a couple weeks ago' date=' just because I wanted it and I dared myself to buy it and a little part of me wanted to irk my wife (didn't work, she's as nutty as me...). But then I got messing with it and got it running, now I almost fight my wife for dirty clothes. I keep it in the garage, fill it up with the garden hose, use modern soap plus Fels naptha soap on stains, and hang them on the line just as if I were in my right mind (you guys know better).

I think it's beautiful.

[img']http://i45.tinypic.com/16bcbgh.jpg[/img]

I thought it was an old school toilet

2wq4jsl.jpg

The center of the plate looks a lot like the Illinois State fossil, the Tully Monster:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tully_Monster

Don't let them kid you about a wringer washing machine. I doubt the 'modern' washer you have won't be working as well as this one in 50 years.

Solar drier is the only way to go. Even in winter. If it is the least bit breezy and the sun is shining, clothes dry in no time. They're a bit stiff when you first hang them but the loosen up.

Archived