Gibson Brands Forums

What Did You Have to Sell to Buy Your Gibson

badbluesplayer

When I bought my ES-339 a couple of years ago I didn't have much cash and I wanted it so bad that I had to go through my stuff and do some serious selling off. Best I can tell, here's all the toys I had to part with to follow my dream.

Anybody else had to sell off a bunch of good stuff to get their recent axes?

DSC_0027.jpgDSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0001.jpgDSC_00012.jpg

DSC_00112.jpgDSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0003.jpgDSC_0002.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you Riverside.

After I sold my stratocaster I put the money aside. I've added a little to it and still haven't decided what to do yet.

Looking at one of the '57 Amps from Fender, but I also like the Dr. Z JAZ 20/40 and Dr. Z Remedy.

Still, there's some nice Gibsons and Fender guitars at Wildwood right now. Decisions decisions.

...If I don't have the dough' date=' it doesn't get bought...[/quote']

My folks brought me up with the same principle.

I had to save up for all my guitars and only got them when I could afford them.

For my first Gibson I mowed acres and acres of lawns, and sharpened a lot of ice skates to get up the cash (my first two teenage businesses, can't talk about the third, but it was the 70's.:-#

For my to receive approval (from the first wife) to spend the load of cash for my L-5, I had to buy a new roof for the house. The costs were about equal. The roof will last about 15 years, the marriage lasted 12. She'll need a new roof in a few years, and (I guess) had to find a new man, but the L-5 will last forever... I win.:-

For my last, and do probably mean "last" Gibson, I sold an "older" 335 to buy a new "Historic" 345. About even-steven $$ on that one. [thumbup]

I sold a Strat before I bought my J-45, but not so I could buy it. I had two Strats, and I didn't like the one I sold all that much. The Strat only covered about half of the J-45, though. I was all set to buy a J-45 or Texan before I decided to sell the Strat.

My very first Gibson was my 3rd guitar I ever owned. It was an 80 or 81 black Flying V.

I traded my first guitar, a Vantage Flying-V and an original Floyd Rose signature Kramer guitar for it and a 1x12 combo amp.

I've owned many Gibsons since then, all were either purchased outright or were gotten in trade.

What Did You Have to Sell to Buy Your Gibson

Concerning my 1980 LPC

I had to blow off my senior prom in highschool with my girl[biggrin]

I remember the girl I asked (Madeline' date=' girlfriend at the time), then having to tell her I spent the $1200 I had saved for the prom on a new LPC[biggrin'] ...... Man was she pissed[blink] ..... She broke up with me, and made sure everyone at school knew what I had done.[cool] .. I felt bad for about two days afterwards, but then another girl asked me to the prom and paid for my tux, the tickets.... and she drove[cool] ..... women's lib at its best[biggrin]

Archived