Gibson Brands Forums

My new amp....for now

saturn

It's switchable from 100/50 watts. It is LOUD. Especially the Lead channel. It goes from almost nothing to full blast somewhere between 2 and 3! The clean tone is very nice and rich sounding and the volume is a little more gradual. But not a whole lot. The lead channel is a lot more "vintage" sounding than I expected. Which is not a bad thing IMO.

One of the main reasons I would rather have the Legacy II, even though it's $500 more is that there's a Master Volume. It also has 3 channels instead of 2 on the Legacy I.

There's also another issue with the one I have. This noise comes up from nowhere and it sounds like a strong wind or a paper bag crinkling through the speakers. If I "tap" the amp, it will usually go away, but I do not want to keep the amp if this continues. Also, two of the power tubes (it has EL34s but can be set for 6L6s) are rattling. It's annoying on the clean channel. If I lightly put something against the tubes to damp them a little, it doesn't rattle anymore. I would have to rig something to wrap around them that wouldn't be damaged by heat, to keep them quiet.

So the amp saga continues [lol]

2 Years ago when I got my Carvin V3 head, although the packaging was awesome and the amp had no damage, the tubes did come loose. Personally, I don't know why they ship with the tubes installed, but anyway, try reseating your tubes. (including preamp tubes)

If the noise continues, like it did on mine due to a bad power tube, they will replace them.

Funny thing, they wouldn't ship me a new set of tubes, they had the whole amp returned and sent me another one.

Go figure.....[blink]

Anyway - congrats on your new amp!

Go for Divided by 13 amps... killer sound' date=' just don't look at the pricetag [biggrin']

[biggrin]

I'll do my best.

I'll ignore the cashier too.

[biggrin]

Right now, I'm into the Fender type and Marshall type paired though.

nice looking amp' date=' ain't payed through it so can't comment on the sound...VAI sig eh?

[cool

You must have missed this comment (below) from my earlier thread :-

"Well, I made an impulse decision. I hope I don't regret it

I'll give an update when it arrives, but I have a feeling stevejoshlay will approve at least"

[blink]

I'll do my best.

I'll ignore the cashier too.

[cool]

Right now' date=' I'm into the Fender type and Marshall type paired though.

[/quote']

Let me know how far you get out the door... [blink]

It has killer tone, I can't even say enough for them. Fender cleans, with a Marshall Plexi crunch is pure heaven for me

Since you are in Maryland I would have thought you would go for a home boy - Buddah amps.

I have tried Buddah, and they sound great. They're a little pricey IMO for a 30 watt amp. Plus, I didn't realize they were made in MD. For some reason I thought they were British.

I have tried Buddah' date=' and they sound great. They're a little pricey IMO for a 30 watt amp. Plus, I didn't realize they were made in MD. For some reason I thought they were British. [/quote']

When I lived in MD there was a owner of a music store I visited who told me about this up and coming amp builder not far from the store - he said they were Buddah amps. However I just visited their site and see that their mailing address is in Mississippi? [cool] I'm a little confused now.

A little research is in order just to satisfy my curiosity.

I like all things Carvin.

I think I like the Legacy BETTER than the Legacy ll BECAUSE it has 2 channels and no master, more old school.

The Nomad/Bel Air amps are bulletproof, I gigged with a guy that used a Bel Air for several years.

Congrats.

Archived