Gibson Brands Forums

Post your vintage Japanese guitar.

Geert1976

I have a lefty Aria Pro II "The Cat" which I think was made in Japan but it's not vintage. Probably late 80s or 90s. It has SSH pickup config. My brother got it at a pawn shop for $200 because he wanted to learn guitar. He gave up and gave me the guitar. I don't use it but I'm not going to sell it. I think I might jack up the action and use it for slide.

It has a few issues. The volume pot is really scratchy and it cuts out sometimes. Being left handed it's pretty uncomfortable for me to play and I can't use a strap with it. The neck and frets are great but I just want to use it for slide.

Sorry I don't have any pics right now. I need to get the photobucket app on my phone and then I'll post pics of all my stuff.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first guit tar. I love her to pieces. "Epaphrodite" is a 1974-ish FT145SB "Texan"

I love the tone and will never part with her.

FT145SBfullsize-1.jpg

I would pay serious money for a 'Scroll'. But I don't have serious money. I would accept a donation though. It is so-o-o-o-o cool looking. [biggrin]

My 1972 Yamaha SG30.

Not a fake nor a copy .......................... well perhaps a respectful nod in Gibson's direction.

IMG_0951.jpg

Its case

IMG_0949.jpg

Nice guitar Yamaha SG's are very good[drool] yours is very rare by the way

I would pay serious money for a 'Scroll'. But I don't have serious money. I would accept a donation though. It is so-o-o-o-o cool looking. [/size] [biggrin]

Epi Scrolls ar becoming rare if your lucky you will find a good SC-450, but a SC-550 like mine are very hard to find:-({|=

That is an Epiphone' date=' made by the Matsumoku factory.

If it kils your high E, check the roller saddle, it may be sharp due to corrosion.

Also, be very very gentle with the neck, dont give neck vibrato, because the neckjoint and heel are very fragile.

Here is his brother the Epiphone ET-290N:

[img']http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr80/geert1976/006-41.jpg[/img]

007-31.jpg

Nice axe[cool]

What's strange about my Epi is that the body is one piece... or I think it is[confused] ..... I have yet to see another that has a one piece body

Nice guitar Yamaha SG's are very good[drool] yours is very rare by the way

Cheers. Unfortunately I made a school boy error soon after I bought it in 1977. Stripped down, stained the wood a rosewood colour and covered it in aout 1/2" of polyurathane. I love all the knocks and scratches I have left on it so will leave it be now.

Never play it now but will always keep it.

I forgot one.. [blink]

A 1969 Sakai, plywood body, 6-on a strip tuners, bad volume and tone pots

But the guitar is special.., it had never been played on and is in full original state.

The most important thing is the autograph from the dutch guitarplayer George Kooijmans, from the Golden Earring (Radar Love, Twilight Zone)

Kooijmans can have slash for breakfast[flapper]

He made an album with Frank Carillo this year, and its a grate album!

002-21.jpg

001-19.jpg

I have a '73 Takamine 12 String, pre-lawsuit model that bears the Martin-Style logo and headstock. The design is a blatent copy of a Martin, but the build quality is excellent. It has sustain for days and holds a tune for months. I'll get a picture later.

• 4 months later...

and bumb...

Today I got my hands on a very rare 70's Gibson copy:

A Jarock Albert (explorer), made by Fuji Gen Gakki in Japan late 70's.

This one is problably the last Jarock Explorer model left....,

HPIM3587.jpg

HPIM3588.jpg

HPIM3589.jpg

HPIM3590.jpg

HPIM3591.jpg

I love Japanese gear!

Japan followed closely by America, rule in electric guitar making msp_thumbup.gif

The Japanese Gretsch and Squier (1983) JV series in action. My version of Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed's 'Jerry's Breakdown'. The video is me playing all my favourite babies!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d5E1mYNtmk

The Squier and me having fun jamming to Malmsteen's Rising Force (tongue firmly in cheek!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL5tNNPKYrM&feature=related

cpt-matt-sparrow-albums-matthew-sea.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

-1.jpg

DSC00100.jpg

vin·tage /'v?nt?d?/ Show Spelled [vin-tij] Show IPA noun, adjective, verb, -taged, -tag·ing.

–noun

1. the wine from a particular harvest or crop.

2. the annual produce of the grape harvest, esp. with reference to the wine obtained.

3. an exceptionally fine wine from the crop of a good year.

4. the time of gathering grapes, or of winemaking.

5. the act or process of producing wine; winemaking.

6. the class of a dated object with reference to era of production or use: a hat of last year's vintage.

This thread has officially been pissed on [thumbup]

Oh no !!!!!!! I gotta copy and fake another song now, aahhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding...I've got many imports (not wine, well yeah wine and guitars) but no copies or fakes...Just received another one ( a non fake import )..I'll stay out of the discussions about copies and fakes....I like vintage wine...[thumbup]

That's why I made that previous post. To point out the snobbery. I could not find an appropriate picture so I posted the definition. some people are just in a sour mood it seems.

Good points...I'm waiting for " My vintage Japanese Copy is BETTER and more HISTORICALLY ACCURATE than your non-vintage Japanese copy !!!!!!! "

I have owned nice Japanese guitars, non fakes and copies...This thread is about Japanese guitars, not R9s or R8s or Korean guitars....Jeeez

Many nice guitars here...great thread...thankyou.....

I've had 2 Japanese guitars that i'd consider "vintage"......I have neither now, and wish I still had both !

'68 Univox Deluxe Rosewood Thinline...later called the "Coily Deluxe"

all rosewood body, maple center block, maple bolt on neck, rosewood fretboard, Bigsby clone trem w/roller bridge, and "staple pole" p'ups......very unique sound.

Not my actual guitar, but identical to it.

UnivoxCoily.jpg

'71 Electra "Tree of Life" SG

oak body with extensive grapevine carving, maple bolt on neck, maple fretboard with extensive "leaf and vine" inlays done in abalone, I swapped the bridge p'up (still have it) with a DiMarzio Distortion humbucker and in the middle 3-way position the guitar sounded GREAT!

This was my actual guitar.

elecoak1.jpg

Archived