Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Guitar's Name? And Why?

therookie_123

I've named cars, but never guitars.

On the other hand...

When I was a "kid" in my teens and early 20s, when talking to friends I'd refer to various girl friends of that time period by the type of guitar they played... <grin>

m

c'mon Riverside' date=' they spell it out in the last line of the song, so there is no excuse for spelling it wrong!

"cause' Oscar Meyer has more to say than B-O-L-O-G-N-A."

[/quote']

Well, when I cover a tune, I like to put a little bit of myself into it...

That having been said, I don't name guitars or other inanimate objects.

I don't refer to them as "she" or "her" or as "my baby".

Harrumph.

That having been said' date=' I don't name guitars or other inanimate objects.

[/quote']

The other night I stubbed my toe on a settee in our bathroom... believe me, I gave THAT inanimate object a couple of names!

I have an acoustic guitar I got while in college I call' date=' "Emily". The real Emily was in a class with me, and was the object of my affection. After much work, we dated for a while...until she played me-and bad!

So now, I play her. [/quote']

You play her "BAD" too?

What else do you give names to?

My grandkids.

There's "Little Buddy"' date=' "Tater", "Beetle Bug", "Lily Rose", "Danny Boy", and ... one who's too young to nick name yet. Then there's one who is in the oven, but not announced yet. He gets announced Sunday. I'm not 'supposed' to know. I was at D1 and SIL1's house last week. She said," Well I might as well tell you now that you've seen it."

"Seen what? " :-k I replied. 17 inches off'n my elbow was a blue onesie belonging to her first son (18 mos). It read "I'm going to be a brother." That's how she's going to announce it to the rest of the family, just show up at the July 4 party with it on.

Honestly, I hadn't seen it. I don't normally read other people's laundry and probably, if she'd kept her mouth shut and just quietly folded it up, I'd still be in the dark. [razz I suspect she was itching to tell someone (you have to tell all the grandparents at once, apparently) and she knew I could keep a secret. I congratulated her and told her, "You absolutely, positively can NOT tell your mother I knew before her... or we're both dead." [biggrin]

I've been practicing my 'surprised' look. :-k:-s[-([cool] Which one looks best?

Well, I toyed around with a few names for my SG, but I couldn't take any of them seriously.

For a while I was referring to it by the name of a young lady I admired, but she ended up not thinking very much of me. Call it unrequited love or whatever, but I got over it pretty quickly. No big deal, hence the name didn't stick.

2724080160100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

Buddy or "The Red Guy"...like CB's Lucille, it was right there on the headstock.

2737829630100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

Grama Strat, because when I got it, my Grandma and Mom (who's now a Grandma, thanks to my Brother [biggrin]) worked together to secure the purchase of this Beauty back in 1989. A gift that hasn't stopped giving, smiley-love016.gif.

2971314170100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

Then there's Joe. One of the finest Epis out there.

These guys are still in Flux......

2669321450100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

The Blue strat has had "Ol' Blue" and "Senior Azul", but they didn't stick.

2378753050100337768S500x500Q85.jpg

The Red Nighthawk has had "The Hawk" and "Ronnie" because of Ronnie "The Hawk" Hawkins, but there's a couple local guitarists named Ronnie so that was out.

Im another one that doesn't name guitars I call them by brand, model, year and color if needed. So I have a R8 and a faded R8 my R9 and my Brockburst R9 and I have a 76 recording model and a 78 recording model. The closest I probably get too names is sig models like my Warren Haynes LP and I cal the James Trussart Dragon engraved guitar the Dragon.

And yep I have a bird named Bird, The dog comes to Dog and I have a wife and the girls for the family.

I'll name a guitar as soon as it can come to me by itself when I call it's name until thern it doesn't make any sense.

Magic - 2004 Southern Jumbo - named because she just lit up the room with electricity when I took her off the wall on January 13, 2006

Jonathan - because he's a Seagull (Jonathan Livingston Seagull for you young ones)

Lily - because she reminds me of an Emmylou Harris guitar and I named her after the character in the song Red Dirt Girl (Lillian), saddest song in the world

Elmo - because he's cute and sits comfortably in my lap and he's higher pitched

Arthur - 1966 Chev Caprice (RIP) named after my dad

Scooter - 1979 Mazda RX7 - my first sports car and I could be found scooting all over town in it

Effy - 1983 Mazda RX7 show car - bought from a doctor who had bought the car for his wife in 1983. She put 19,000 kilometres on it then passed away from cancer. He was devastated at loss of his wife so stuck the car in the garage for 14 years until his new wife said "it has to go". I came along and bought it. It was an effigy to his wife (hence, Effy)

Teddy - 1984 Mazda RX7 - named after my cat Theodore (RIP)

Edgar - old Hoover vacuum cleaner

I'll spare you the names of all the pigeons who have graced my eaves, whose names all begin with 'p'. I name everything :-k

An "Inanimate object"!!! REALLY? For me I think of a guitar as an extention of my mind and soul (call me fruity). When I can't express happiness, depression, anger, etc. with words, I express it with my guitar! And to call it just an "inanimate object" is a bit cold to me, even though I know it is one (sorry I can't handle the truth haha).

PS: I just settled for a name for my dad's Martin D-35, which gave to me. I named it the most beautiful name I could think of, Evangeline-Dawn. haha. Im that disturbed, I gave a two-name first-name. Named it after a character in the greatest book I've ever read, "Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Stowe". The Evangeline part came from the part at least. I just thought Dawn was a pretty "add-on".

I don't really name my guitars but when My daughter was about 3 years old she was in the phase of giving everything she had a name and one day she asked me what my guitar's name was. She was sad that it didn't have a name so wanted to call it 'Shere Khan' after the Tiger in 'The Jungle Book' but I said, No; there are other gutars called that.

We were having breakfast at the time and, as luck would have it, there was a pot of marmalade on the table. The name, 'Marmalade', stuck (no pun intended).

So here is Marmalade.

Marmalademedv2.jpg

Although really 'un-named' this one I always think of as 'Hugh' in honour of my dad who passed away just before I got it.

Treaclemedv2.jpg

Under almost exactly the same circumstances as the above, this one I think of as 'Joan', after my mother.

Honeymedv2.jpg

although I'm contemplating calling them 'Marmalade', 'Treacle' and 'Honey' just to keep the confiture theme going...

LOL!

They are all named George. That's right 15 Georges. Just like George Forman did. No I lied. None of em have names.

So you didn't name the Squier Hello Kitty guitar?

That one he didn't call 'Georgina' instead...

:(

My grandkids.

There's "Little Buddy"' date=' "Tater", "Beetle Bug", "Lily Rose", "Danny Boy", and ... one who's too young to nick name yet. Then there's one who is in the oven, but not announced yet. He gets announced Sunday. I'm not 'supposed' to know. I was at D1 and SIL1's house last week. She said," Well I might as well tell you now that you've seen it."

"Seen what? " :-k I replied. 17 inches off'n my elbow was a blue onesie belonging to her first son (18 mos). It read "I'm going to be a brother." That's how she's going to announce it to the rest of the family, just show up at the July 4 party with it on.

Honestly, I hadn't seen it. I don't normally read other people's laundry and probably, if she'd kept her mouth shut and just quietly folded it up, I'd still be in the dark. :- I suspect she was itching to tell someone (you have to tell all the grandparents at once, apparently) and she knew I could keep a secret. I congratulated her and told her, "You absolutely, positively can NOT tell your mother I knew before her... or we're both dead." :-k

I've been practicing my 'surprised' look. :-k:-k:-k:-$ Which one looks best? [/quote']

Congratz on the new grandkid!! I can imagine what a thrill it is to have grandkids....something I'm looking forward to.

Archived