Gibson Brands Forums

Inspirations! Who is/ are your fave Guitar Hero/ Inspirations?

therookie_123

hey im back, AGAIN... because Im bored AGAIN. Who are a few of your fave guitarists and/ or Musical Inspirations and how did they inspired you?

Top 5 For Me:

1. Jimmy Page - Love his riff writing [Whole Lotta Love = Sexiest Guitar Riff of All Time] as well as his guitar customizations. Plus, come on... Stairway to Heaven [i only like the solo though, the song I use to love, but its so fricking long. It becomes boring, especially the acoustic intro] haha. I also love his personality in the few interviews I've seen him in.

2. Jimi Hendrix - Come on... to play Blues Rock and to not acknowledge Hendrix is a insult to all serious guitar players. Without Hendrix I wouldn't have picked up guitar. I just thought his charisma on stage and crazy sounds he made with a Strat was amazing, which I can now recreate : ) I wish he was still with us RIP.

3. Carlos Santana - First person I've seen live. GREAT Guitarist from Woodstock to the Hard Rock Hotel. He earns number 3 for me because he can say more with two notes than I could with 20 [right now haha maybe in 5-10 years]

4. Jack White - come on... Blues, Punk, Grunge, and Pop... all in one genre. Plus I envy his mad guitar skills and his Copper Top Gretsch Triple Jet

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Jack%20White%20Triple%20Jet/shock_man710/post-31531-1150616797.jpg

5. Yngwie Malmesteen - "Fastest Picker in the World" Beast at Neoclassical Metal guitar. SPEED DEMON, but knows when to slow it down a really "dig into" a note. Plus he loves Hendrix and plays a lot Blues songs too. Extremely versitile guitarist.

edit***

Number 5 for me belongs to Jeff Beck. Love Beck!!! His newer style of playing, has inspired me to float my tremolo bridge on my strat

SORRY Malmsteen!!!!

Buckethead - The man's huge and varied body of work has inspired me to work on composition and ear training.

Slash - He's rock personified, simply put. I would have never picked up a guitar if it wasn't for Slash.

Jason Becker - He's the Stephen Hawking of guitar musicians.

Mike Oldfield - Some of the best instrumental works ever written.

Guthrie Govan - The guy is a monster player, teacher and songwriter.

Buckethead - Very technical, yet artistic, creative, and versatile. He can play rock, electronic, funk, metal, classical, jazz, bluegrass, or anything else. He can shred very fast yet play tear-jerking ballads that sooth the soul. He has many influences but is a unique and true musician. He plays with true emotion, has developed his own style and created a cult of bucket-wearing, chicken-lovers.

Randy Rhoads - Very unique, a musical genius. He's known for hard rock but he could also play classical and blues. He wrote amazing riffs and his phrasing was great.

I wouldn't call Yngwie versatile at all. He plays incorporates shredding into classical songs and that's really cool but that's his also his problem. It seems like he can't go 1 song without shredding. It gets boring. He plays about 2 genres. I wouldn't call that diverse.

I suppose Disembodied Loaf could be right about Yngwie Malmsteen. But hey we are all entitled to opinions, I also love Slash btw. Maybe I should change number 5 haha. I always thought of Slash as Joe Perry and Jimmy Page's Son who got guitar Lessons from haha. He made me fall in Love with Gold Tops.

Wait!!! No... I know who diserves #5!!!

Some guitar players that I admire/enjoy listening to:

James Hetfield (Metallica)

Duane Eddy

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)

J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr)

Dave Murray (Iron Maiden)

Wino (St Vitus, The Obsessed, Hidden Hand, Spirit Caravan, Shrinebuilder)

Yanni Papadopoulos (Stinking Lizaveta)

Jim Martin (Faith No More)

Josh Homme (Kyuss, QOTSA)

King Buzzo (Melvins)

Steve Cropper (Booker T & The MG's)

Ian Williams (Don Caballero, Storm & Stress, Battles)

John Lee Hooker

John Reis (Pitchfork, Rocket From The Crypt, Drive Like Jehu, Hot Snakes, Sultans)

Efrim Menuck (Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Thee Silver Mt. Zion)

Max Cavalera (Sepultura)

Doug Martsch (Built To Spill)

Matt Pike (Sleep, High On Fire)

EDIT: Crap, I'm sorry man, I didn't know there was a 5 limit. I can't pick 5.

Well, I'm not sure if I want to get into details, but I'll give a quick rundown.

Rory Gallagher - He played with sensitivity, attitude and emotion and had a great sense of timing and melody. He was also an incredible songwriter and a great vocalist, and he knew how to play to his audience in a way that demanded attention.

Alex Lifeson - I think that I really began to love music from the first time I heard "Freewill" on the radio one afternoon when I was ten years old. As I began to listen to more Rush, I began to really take notice of Alex Lifeson's tasteful rhythm work and expressive lead work, which could (and often did, within a single solo) cover a range from textural ambiance to hard-driving rock mayhem.

Then there's also Alvin Lee, Marty Friedman, Hubert Sumlin, Brian May, Steve Howe, Neil Young, John Cipollina and Jerry Garcia, but I don't know if I feel like writing any more than I already have.

First person that made me really want to pick up an electric was Paul Kossoff. Electrifying. I still rate him in my top 2 favourite players.

After I started to pay proper attention I got into (in no particular order);

Jimi Hendrix.

Joe Pass.

Andres Segovia.

Django Rheinhardt.

Peter Green.

Eric Clapton.

John Martyn.

Rory Gallagher.

Robert Johnson.

That's 10 but I could go on and on and on......

Joe walsh,

Marc Bolan, (Electric Warrior Guitar sound).

Keith Scott, Bryan Adams guitarist. Very tasty. Listen to his early stuff. Kids wanna rock.

Neil Schon

Luke

Steve Farris Mr Mister

and many more

Okay here is mine:

Jimmy Page - Led Zeppelin

Angus Young - AC/DC

Ace Frehley - Kiss

Rick Sage - Mad House

Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath

Jimi Hendrix

Eric Clapton

Buddy Guy

Jeff Beck

Most of them are Brits. I don't know why, but I have always preferred music from the UK, especially the British Blues.

Django

Then a bunch of guys I played with, but no one else has ever heard of.

Guitar isn't so exclusive as to belong solely to the six or eight recording artists that folks get fixated on because it's all they have to listen to.

While I have an appreciation for the usual suspects, those aren't the folks who "inspired" me.

Archived