Gibson Brands Forums

What strings work best for a SG?

rockman82

I'm really thinking about the pure nickel strings right now. I'm going to give the classic rock n roll ernie ball strings a try.

Let me know what you think of them. I'm curious as to whether you will like them as much as I do.

This is my style and has been for over a decade. 11s only! Not sure how some of you cats play those rubber band gauges. I'd be bending strings off the fretboard and breaking them like politicians break campaign promises.

GibsonVR11VintageReissuePureNickelElectricGuitarStringsStandard.jpg

Gibson strings + Gibson guitar + Gibson pickups = tone nirvana

This is my style and has been for over a decade. 11s only! Not sure how some of you cats play those rubber band gauges. I'd be bending strings off the fretboard and breaking them like politicians break campaign promises.

GibsonVR11VintageReissuePureNickelElectricGuitarStringsStandard.jpg

Gibson strings + Gibson guitar + Gibson pickups = tone nirvana

HAHAHAHA!!!!! That last part is great!:-

How are 10's too thick? 10's are the bread and butter of guitar strings. Personally I play 10's or 11's depending on the guitar and the set up. I don't understand how people play with 9's like Evol said those are rubber bands. You need to get your bridge problem fixed brother or you are going to keep on breaking strings regardless of the brand and gauge. Ernie Ball makes a great set of strings, I think you need to take a second look.

EDIT: Actually, it's not the first three strings, High E, B and G strings. It's the fatter strings that I hate about the 10' set. I like those strings to be good and small to fit my hands. I've tried the hybrid strings, but the wrong strings were in the hybrid set lol. 10's are standard on most guitars, but 9's are the most comfortable size for me.

And i think i have solved the problem, as i'm replacing the stop bar and tunomatic with a wraparound bridge. And I mean it's a tunomatic combo. It's not like the ones you can't adjust or anything(like on the sg jrs). It's temporary until i get a gibson.

It'll all work out, I know it will. I'm excited to get my new bridge, I also got the witch hat knobs like on the late 60's sgs.

EDIT: Actually' date=' it's not the first three strings, High E, B and G strings. It's the fatter strings that I hate about the 10' set. I like those strings to be good and small to fit my hands. I've tried the hybrid strings, but the wrong strings were in the hybrid set lol. 10's are standard on most guitars, but 9's are the most comfortable size for me.

And i think i have solved the problem, as i'm replacing the stop bar and tunomatic with a wraparound bridge. And I mean it's a tunomatic combo. It's not like the ones you can't adjust or anything(like on the sg jrs). It's temporary until i get a gibson.

It'll all work out, I know it will. I'm excited to get my new bridge, I also got the witch hat knobs like on the late 60's sgs. [/quote']

Have you grabbed the Classic Rock strings yet?

I must say my favorite strings for all of my axes are ghs-guitar boomers, .009-.042, but keep plenty of .009’s on hand if you do a lot of bending, (blues, as in Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, or Gary Moore), as you will break that .009 many times. I myself like to re-string every night if I am gigging every night, as there is nothing like the crisp sound of a new string. If you can’t do that it is a good idea to clean those strings after every gig with denatured alcohol, as isopropyl alcohol will leave a film. Hope this helps.

My favorite are DR TiteFit 9s. They last a long time and I cannot break them. They sound good and feel right to me.

My Tele had 11s on it when I got it and they were kinda cool but they were hard for me to play. Yesterday I threw a set of EB Regular Slinkys on and it's much better. I'm still gonna put the DR 9s on it once the 10s are toast.

I don't know what prompted me to try the DRs but Im glad I did because they're perfect for me.

I must say my favorite strings for all of my axes are ghs-guitar boomers' date=' .009-.042, but keep plenty of .009’s on hand if you do a lot of bending, (blues, as in Stevie Ray Vaughan, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, or Gary Moore), as you will break that .009 many times. I myself like to re-string every night if I am gigging every night, as there is nothing like the crisp sound of a new string. If you can’t do that it is a good idea to clean those strings after every gig with denatured alcohol, as isopropyl alcohol will leave a film. Hope this helps.[/quote']

• 9 years later...
On 7/2/2010 at 12:02 PM, rockman82 said:

The title says it all. I've tried Ernie Ball, they never lasted two weeks, and Gibson strings. Gibson strings have lasted me a long time. What other brands out there are really good?

--The thing about Ernie Ball strings, 1, i bought them from a local pawn shop(best guitar store around here sadly) and 2 i had my string breaking problem on the stop bar tail piece at that time(which is now resolved)--

I'm on a tight budget too.       I'm reading this like 5 years later, but if you are here the Chicago area I have a large Crate amp (very loud) that I will sell you for next to nothing. I remember years ago when I couldn't afford good stuff and it sucked! I'm old now and have more toys than I can use. 

D'Addario XLs for me. I think most strings in the same price range sound ABOUT the same and last about the same amount of time, but I think I've only broken a D'Addario string once, and it certainly wasn't the string's fault. 

Reliable and consistent, and sound as good or better - or so I imagine - than any other string I've tried to my ears. Fair price. 

I put EB Super Slinky, 9-42 on all my guitars. That's SG, 2 LP, Strat, Tele and 339. They don't break and they keep tone and tune really well too. Like someone else said you're going to get all kinds of different answers

Edited by SteveT2
missed something in OP