Gibson Brands Forums

PLEASE provide me with some HELP! LP Customs...!!!

restrain1

Hey guys how u doing?

I have finally saved up some moeny to purchase my dream guitar.. and I cannot describe how THRILLED I am..

BUT

since I always knew what guitar I would buy (Les Paul black Custom) this exact guitar , another les paul came up in the site of music123.com which is this one ..

So... the only difference are the pickups and nothing else? and of course the hardware (gold/silver)

last question..

Please place them in the position in which comes first and which second.. anyone who owns any of them both models, providing me with some extra information would be really great and I would be really grateful.

thank you

george

No, they have the same pickups except the ones on the gold hardware guitar are covered and on the other guitar they are uncovered. Also, the first one has a mahogany body with a maple cap while the other is just straight mahogany, no cap. I'd go with the first one if it was my decision but it's up to you.

I own a Custom Shop Les Paul Custom with the same pups and it's a great guitar; I think you'd be happy with either one of the ones you liked to. The only differences I see are the hardware finish and the fact that the pickups are covered on the one with the gold hardware (one person mentioned something about one having a maple top and the other not; I don't think that's definitive as the one mentions "solid mahogany body wood" which could mean anything about the top or just not referencing it in the ad copy).

If it were me, I'd go for the one with the chrome hardware because I don't care for gold much and I ended up removing the pickup covers from my guitar anyway because they were causing microphonic feedback in higher gain and volume situations.

BUT....

You mentioned that the one with the gold hardware - "this exact guitar" in your own words - is your dream guitar. If I were you, I'd stick with the one you always wanted rather than just flirt with a new pretty face on a whim. Either way, if you have the opportunity, play a bunch of examples of them side by side and cherry pick the best one/one you like best.

They make a Custom without a maple top ???

Since when ???

This is what it says on the music 123 page:

"Limited edition '68 Black Beauty reproduction.

* Ebony

* Solid mahogany body wood

* Multi-ply white/black binding on top and back

* 1-piece solid mahogany neck with long tenon

* 22-fret ebony fingerboard

* Rounded neck profile

* Pearl block inlays

* Single-ply neck binding

* Kidney bean tuners

* 490R/498T humbucker pickups

* 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switch

* Chrome hardware

* ABR-1 bridge with stopbar tailpiece

Yeah, but this is the description of the other one he linked to:

* One-piece mahogany neck

* Carved maple top

* Warm-toned mahogany body

* Ebony fingerboard

* Pearl block inlays

* Gold hardware

* 490R and 498T humbuckers

* Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece

* Body, neck and headstock binding

* Includes Gibson Custom Shop hardshell case

There is no mention of body wood so are to to assume it doesn't have a body or that the body is maple because the top is? Most likely, it's just incomplete or poorly written ad copy.

Hmmm when I read solid body I figured it meant no chambering now Weight relief? I wonder if it really means no Maple cap??

It's probably similar to the guitar Tim is talking about or to the Vintage Mahogany where it has a normal mahogany body with some swiss cheesing or something like that and then a mahogany cap.

I always knew what guitar I would buy (Les Paul black Custom)

Seems to me you've already decided. I agree with RichCI, stick with your gut, you can't go wrong. Either way you are going to have a phenomenal guitar. Can't wait to see it, and welcome to the forum. =D>

Yeah' date=' but this is the description of the other one he linked to:

* One-piece mahogany neck

* Carved maple top

[b']* Warm-toned mahogany body[/b]

* Ebony fingerboard

* Pearl block inlays

* Gold hardware

* 490R and 498T humbuckers

* Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece

* Body, neck and headstock binding

* Includes Gibson Custom Shop hardshell case

There is no mention of body wood so are to to assume it doesn't have a body or that the body is maple because the top is? Most likely, it's just incomplete or poorly written ad copy.

Actually, it does mention the body.... notice from within your post.

I'd go with the first guitar... I like the covered pup tone better, and the gold on black looks cool =P~.

Gratz your accomplishment and let us know (with pics!!) which one you get!

Yeah' date=' but this is the description of the other one he linked to:

* Warm-toned mahogany body

There is no mention of body wood so are to to assume it doesn't have a body or that the body is maple because the top is? Most likely, it's just incomplete or poorly written ad copy.[/quote']

Actually, it does mention the body.... notice from within your post.

Let's just chalk that up to me playing in too many hair bands back in the 80's. =P~

Everyone else said everything I would have said. Except the part about the mahogany body, by that they probably mean solid mahogany back + carved maple top. Because the description of the LPVM says "Carved mahogany top and mahogany back", so the description probably would have said that instead of just "solid mahogany body", because I think Gibson also weight relieves LP Customs. I would think the custom would have a carved maple top, anyway.

And if you're REALLY having trouble deciding, flip a coin on which guitar to choose. If you feel bad about what the results of the coin are, then choose the one the coin didn't pick. If you feel good about what the coin chooses, stay with it.

Looks wise, I like the one without the gold better, but I also like the look of covered pickups...it's tough.

It's probably a crap shoot with weight. From what I recall' date=' the Custom Shop guitars aren't weight relieved and LPs can vary quite a bit.[/quote']

Custom Shop Guitars are weight-relieved...reissues aren't. You can also get a chambered RI.

VA_siCkBoy, before you make a decision, have you seen this one?

Picture024-1.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Sorry all, I couldn't resist. [-(

hey guys..

i really dont know how to thank you!

well.. its obvious now that I am going for the first one!!! heheh

I believe and I seriously know that i wont be dissapointed by that guitar.. its extremely beautiful and from what i know, beucase i've never really played on a custom LP, that is a GREAT GREAT GREAT guitar..

I wanted to ask something else though...

Since I live in Cyprus, and our dealers here aren't much of a situation (Hell i dont know if they even import LP customs!!).. I would prefer to order from an Internet dealer (music123.com, musiciansfriends etc..)

since now, Ive only made business with drumcityguitarland (which the guys are great), but never from the other sites..

what internet dealer would you reccomend?

By the way, I think that they do not ship overseas but that can be arranged by sending the guitar to my uncle who lives in the States.

thank u guys

take care

m/

Archived