Gibson Brands Forums

What amps should I try out? I'm sellin my amp...

ShredAstaire

My current amp is a Blue Voodoo 100W Tube Head and a Marshall 4x12 1960 cabinet. Anyway, its so loud and I only really play in my "mancave" these days....no gigs to speak of so i can't ever crank it...soooo i'm thinking of downsizing...

I'm looking for some suggestions on amps to TRY out...i will make the decision on which one I will buy - no polls, don't worry! [blink]

Looking to stay with tubes....2x12 maybe...a combo....you guys know what I play...mostly heavier rock, metal stuff....with some occasional clean playing...with the Tele!

So yeah... i haven't even looked at amps in a long while...so I dunno where to start. Some guidance would be appreciated.

what kind of music do you play? I'd say you should probably look for something under 100 watts, or with some kind of power reduction switch. 2x12 or 1x12 combo. maybe used.

If used look out for the Marshall DSL401 or the TSL602 used. These are both nice and full-featured. Also maybe consider Traynor amps or Laney amps. Both have some good smaller low wattage amps that don't skimp on the features (efx loops, multi channels, etc). Crate also now makes a good line of lower wattage tube amps.

what's your budget range?

I'm thinking I can spend somewhere around $1000....pretty much want to sell the old stuff and use that money to buy the new one....

I play typically pretty heavy stuff....rock/metal....occasionally some more chilled out stuff with no distortion....Thanks i'll check those two options out....

My current amp is a Blue Voodoo 100W Tube Head and a Marshall 4x12 1960 cabinet. Anyway' date=' its so loud and I only really play in my "mancave" these days....no gigs to speak of so i can't ever crank it...soooo i'm thinking of downsizing...

I'm looking for some suggestions on amps to TRY out...i will make the decision on which one I will buy - no polls, don't worry! [blink

Looking to stay with tubes....2x12 maybe...a combo....you guys know what I play...mostly heavier rock, metal stuff....with some occasional clean playing...with the Tele!

So yeah... i haven't even looked at amps in a long while...so I dunno where to start. Some guidance would be appreciated.

How unloud do you want/need to be?

2 x 12 (even if not in a Twin Reverb) is probably going to be around 40W and 2 x 6L6s (or the ELx4 equivalent) and 60lbs. This will not start to really go to work unless you are making a bit of noise. And by the time it starts to break up - if this is how you play, it will be getting pretty loud.

Would you go down to 1 x 12 with 2 x 6V6 which gets you into Deluxe Reverb country - 22W and 40lbs? These sound okay at moderate levels.

Is portability a factor?

Channel switching or something more basic?

Any strong feelings about PTP vs PCB?

Sorry for not alluding to metal amps. I don't know much about them.

I'm getting everything on my list and will go and play them all with my guitars before i make a decision....thanks for the tips and keep em coming!!

I can be fairly loud and i don't need too much portability...i'll mostly be jamming in my man cave....

Check out the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25, available in either a 1x10 or 1x12 combo. The 1x1 is about $1k and the 1x12 about $1200 or so. Its cool as you can switch between 5 watts and 25 watts. (There is also a 5:50 if you need more power.) This would be the amp I'd get if I had more room (and more cash).

Maybe shoot for a used Mesa? I've seen some pretty good Mark V's on Craigslist for around $700-$800. Also, +1 on the advice from AXE® to keep the cab... Good luck! Amp shopping is almost as exciting as guitar shopping.

You could always go for a Peavey. There's a Peavey 6505 combo out now which pushes 60W through a 2x12 arrangement. It has two channels, pre- and post-gain controls for both channels, and presence, reverb and 3-band EQ. The 2x12 runs for about $1200, and there's a 1x12 that runs for about $600, and a head with the same features for around $1,000. The head, however, runs at 120W, as opposed to the two 60W combos.

The Night Train is also a good idea. 15W switchable to 7.5W, $500, most people seem to like them. I'm still on the fence about them, but they seem to get a good amount of gain and a good tone, and are fairly inexpensive. You could also try out an Orange Tiny Terror, which runs for about $575, 15W switchable to 7W like the Night Train, and with only volume, tone and gain knobs. I prefer the tone of the Tiny Terror, but I seem to be in a minority.

Happy hunting.

I have a Mesa 5:25 head and I like it a lot, you could just keep the cabinet like AXE suggests.

It is really nice to have a full featured amp with spring reverb and effects loop. The ability to switch between 5 and 25 watts is great too.

Here is a picture of mine:

DSCF0483.jpg

You could always go for a Peavey. There's a Peavey 6505 combo out now which pushes 60W through a 2x12 arrangement. It has two channels' date=' pre- and post-gain controls for both channels, and presence, reverb and 3-band EQ. The 2x12 runs for about $1200, and there's a 1x12 that runs for about $600, and a head with the same features for around $1,000. The head, however, runs at 120W, as opposed to the two 60W combos.

The Night Train is also a good idea. 15W switchable to 7.5W, $500, most people seem to like them. I'm still on the fence about them, but they seem to get a good amount of gain and a good tone, and are fairly inexpensive. You could also try out an Orange Tiny Terror, which runs for about $575, 15W switchable to 7W like the Night Train, and with only volume, tone and gain knobs. I prefer the tone of the Tiny Terror, but I seem to be in a minority.

Happy hunting.[/quote']

A/B them. realize, you need to get both. Killer sounds can be had. I wish I could... I love Oranges, the only problem, is I play a lot of clean stuff. I love Orange for a crunch sound though

Check out the Jet City 333 20 watt stuff, it's priced in your budget and is Soldano designed.

The Blackstar HT5 and HT20 stuff sounds great as well as the Vox Night Train and Krank makes jr low watt amps in your price range too.

Orange Tiny Terror and Dual Terror - more good stuff under a grand.

The Blackstar HT5 and HT20 stuff sounds great as well as the Vox Night Train and Krank makes jr low watt amps in your price range too.

Orange Tiny Terror and Dual Terror - more good stuff under a grand.

The Blackstar amps DO look very cool' date=', I dont know about going with the HT5 though being that its mostly a solid state type of amp,,I think it does have 1 tibe but from what Ive heard its mostly built like a computer,, now the Blackstar HT-40 sounds VERY cool

Blackstar HT-40

The Blackstar amps DO look very cool' date=', I dont know about going with the HT5 though being that its mostly a solid state type of amp,,I think it does have 1 tibe but from what Ive heard its mostly built like a computer,, now the Blackstar HT-40 sounds VERY cool

Blackstar HT-40

True about the HT5 but I still thought it sounded really good. I was looking at getting one, I didn't know about the HT-40, that's sweet!

I like my tube amps but I also embrace valve-state and "modeling" as well. If it sounds good, I'm not that picky about format.

Archived