Gibson Brands Forums

The 5 Best Rock Concerts of All Time (you agree?)

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

This list of the "5 Best Rock Concerts of All Time" from Gibson.com contributor, Ellen Barnes, has sparked some serious debate on Gibson's Facebook page.

What do you think?

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/5-best-rock-concerts-0709/

Personally, I'd include the Beatles' Apple Studios roof-top concert in the mix, but that's just my opinion, and we know what that and a quarter will get you...

Sean

Yeah, pretty lame to rate a concert you weren't even at.

Also, Jimi's performance at Monterey Pop was far more significant than Woodstock.

The Beatles at Shea, no way. It was a failure as far as sound goes. All you could hear was a stadium full of screaming women. The author even states that.

As for Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, I missed both those tours.

For the Wall, it was a random drawing for tickets. Either your name got pulled or it didn't my check was sent back to me.

From everyone I spoke with who attended those two tours when they hit the west coast, both bands were great.

I think rating concerts you more than likely wasn't there to see is pretty lame.

Ditto.

My personal best rock concerts of all time are (not in any order - they all rocked):

Black Flag at City Gardens in Trenton, NJ in the mid 80's.

**** Dale in Asbury Park a few years ago.

David Lee Roth's first solo tour in Philly some time in the mid 80's.

Jane's Addiction on the first Lollapalooza tour some place in north Jersey.

Pantera in NYC on the Cowboys from Hell tour in the early 90's.

I wouldn't refer to these concerts "The 5 Best Rock Concerts of All Time", for the reasons the other members above stated. I would agree that they were some of the most significant concerts of RnR history.

This list of the "5 Best Rock Concerts of All Time" from Gibson.com contributor' date=' Ellen Barnes, has sparked some serious debate on Gibson's Facebook page.

What do you think?

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/5-best-rock-concerts-0709/

Personally, I'd include the Beatles' Apple Studios roof-top concert in the mix, but that's just my opinion, and we know what that and a quarter will get you...

Sean[/quote']

Since I wasn't at any of them, how can I comment?

(I have seen Jimi's part at Woodstock in the movie).

Guest Gibson Lifestyle

By "5 Best Rock Concerts of All Time," she probably means in terms of significance. But even if that was the case, an argument can probably be made that these don't fall into the "most significant" rock concerts of all time. Perhaps the Beatles at Shea Stadium could be included because despite the crappy sound, it was certainly a major moment in rock.

By "5 Best Rock Concerts of All Time' date='" she probably means in terms of significance. But even if that was the case, an argument can probably be made that these don't fall into the "most significant" rock concerts of all time. Perhaps the Beatles at Shea Stadium could be included because despite the crappy sound, it was certainly a major moment in rock.[/quote']

I can see why these are listed. I think the Altamont Speedway Free Festival should be on the list.

By "5 Best Rock Concerts of All Time' date='" she probably means in terms of significance. But even if that was the case, an argument can probably be made that these don't fall into the "most significant" rock concerts of all time. Perhaps the Beatles at Shea Stadium could be included because despite the crappy sound, it was certainly a major moment in rock.[/quote']

"Most Significant " might be appropriate, but not "best". I've been to tens of dozens of concerts in my life, (most of them in the 60's), and I might pick the "best" as John Sebastian (alone), or possibly BB King. The most Significant concert was the Beatles at Candlestick in 1966. However, I'm told I did a concert with The Who....damn, I wish I could remember it! I'd do anything to see the original Who live!

Huh?

Also' date=' Jimi's performance at Monterey Pop was far more significant than Woodstock.

[/quote']

I agree 100%. Even though the performance was a failure (at least the critics slammed it hard), it was his first show in the States since leaving for England. To me the songs are not as good, but the energy and vibe are right there.

I agree 100%. Even though the performance was a failure (at least the critics slammed it hard)' date=' it was his first show in the States since leaving for England. To me the songs are not as good, but the energy and vibe are right there.[/quote']

Might have been that he had to wait ALL Sunday night and didn't get on stage 'til like 10 AM on Monday! (after the concert was over and only like 10K people were left!)

I can see why these are listed. I think the Altamont Speedway Free Festival should be on the list.

I was at that one. Maybe not "good", but yes, it was significant. Big shows require a lot of planning. They didn't really know that at Altamount. They thought the love of the hippies would make everything go well. I never thought of it as the antithesis of Woodstock as many have opined but rather just an extension with an exclamation point.

Or Creams Reunion at the RAH?

Evanescence at the Greek Theater in LA was Fantastic, but I don't think it was captured on Video or recorded for The Public.....what a shame.

I'm sure the Top 5 Best Rock Concerts of All Time weren't recorded for posterity.

Archived