Gibson Brands Forums

help me choose a 12 string guitar

cechansler

So right now i own a gibson j-45, a cheap ibanez acoustic, a seagull grand, and a 2003 godin lg and i have been thinking about getting a 12 string acoustic. I was looking at martins but anythings really an option. I just want to get your opinions on what 12 string is the best so i have a list to check out.

Check out the Guild F412 (sitka/curly maple) and F512 (sitka/rosewood). Fender is doing a fine job with the production of these beauties. They are still highly regarded and get great reviews wherever you care to look. I've got a F412 with an arched back that can really project great sound.

I also like the Taylor 12 strings and they have quite a few models in production, under both their acoustic and acoustic/electric catagories.

+1 on the Guild F112; concert-size and mahogany for controlled volume, clarity and balance. Can still get for a fair price. Not so much the rw jumbo guilds and similar--unless you wants the "lap organ' effect. Martin and Taylor have options but are less mid-rangey, more 'feathery' in tone. Hope that helps.

Guild 12 in action (Ernie Hawkins, Statesboro Blues)

Find a '60s Guild F 212. A classic 12. Ce

+1 on the Guild! John Denver used one in thhe early '70's. Great sound, just listen to his early live recordings!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYQBvrRa-4E

The Taylor 12 string is a great guitar also. Neil Young had the first one produced in the mid-'70's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t00MXZKbW0M (even the master musicians screw up occasionally! The 2:46 mark!!)

You probably can't go wrong with a Guild. But when it comes to bang for you buck, nothing beats a 1960s Harmony Sovereign 12 string (Pete Townsend,'s who has been all over the forum lately, weapon of choice before the J-200). They are ladder braced but the bracing is radiused so is not a "tone killer." They were built with better wood than you find on alot of very high dollar boutique guitars today. And one with a straight neck (which granted is not all that easy to find) will set you back alot less than a Guild or certainly a Martin.

+1 on the Guild! John Denver used one in thhe early '70's. Great sound' date=' just listen to his early live recordings!

[/quote']

Sorry but if I had not played Hoboken and Westerly-made Guilds, a John Denver "endorsement" would send me running towards any other guitar so fast it would make your head spin.

Old Guilds and any Taylor 12 string have long been the "Standard" as far as 12 strings go for me. Nobody does it better

Old Guilds I agree with. Never played a Taylor 12 string that has come close in sound quality to my J185-12. The Taylors are certainly comfortable to play, but the tone is no competition for the Gibson to my ears.

anyone have anymore info or can share any stories to share about a martin DM-12 they are not that expensive so i can probably afford it. Where are they made?

No offense' date=' but your second post at the GIBSON forums is asking about a Martin.

[biggrin

That B-45 looks very nice, and tempting! I wonder how they were in 69? I had a 68 small body B-23-12?, and it sounded good, but unless you had very new strings on it, it wouldn't play in tune. Wish I would have kept it.

Frank

I love it. No worries about it deadening the top' date=' eh?

[biggrin

None at all! It is paper thin too. Installed in 5 seconds.

I always thought my 1977 Gibson Hummingbird sounded like it was stuffed with cotton because that huge 1/2" thick pickguard deadened the top from vibrating. I guess I was wrong because modern HBirds sound fine. Must have been those tree trunks they used for bracing in the late '70's. That HB was the best looking POS guitar I've ever owned.

anyone have anymore info about a martin DM-12?

Im not a fan of 12 strings on a dreadnought box. With two courses of strings, the overtones and extra bass that comes in d-size is not a particularly welcome thing. Similar money can net and old Guild or Harmony, possibly a Martin J12-15 or J12-16.

I'm not a huge fan of twelve strings in general, but the Martin DX12 impressed me. I don't know what it was about that guitar, but it was nice. Basic, and not quite as showy as many (any) other guitars, but it sounded nice.

As far as look go, I also support the Guild suggestion, but I've had very limited play experience with them.

Im not a fan of 12 strings on a dreadnought box.

Not to say a D12 or similar is a "bad' guitar--just bear in mind that if you fingerpick, you are going to get more clarity between the pass and treble parts with a smaller box. Oth, if you are strumming and just are strumming and want to generate a wall of sound, well, there you go.

I've had my Martin 12 string for 13 years and it just keeps sounding and playing better. As I posted earlier, it's one of my favorite guitars and has such a full and rounded sound to it. I do very little picking on it though as mentioned in an earlier post, it's not the easiest to pick on. At least for me it isn't. For strumming though, you can't beat it.

anyone have anymore info or can share any stories to share about a martin DM-12 they are not that expensive so i can probably afford it. Where are they made?

Hi

You might want to have a look at the attached:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/103299/t/Martin-DM12.html

The DM12 I played was a very fine instrument indeed and I was very tempted.

Check out Takamine too. I love mine and knew it was mine after one big open G chord. Yamaha FG720-12 (?) is also worth a look. They both make some very good value 12ers.

Having said all this, KL is absolutely right. The Gibson J185-12 is the best 12er there is.

IMHO opinion, the lower end Taylors and Guilds are good but you will have to spend a few £ to get the really nice ones. There are better value 12 around. From the ones I've played, that DM12 was better to my ears.

As always, you have to play as many as you can and go with what you think is best for you. After all, we're not going to play it, you are.

Archived