Gibson Brands Forums

RIP George Steinbrenner

jimmiJAMM

Makes me ask one question - why is there no salary cap in baseball? Even the NHL put one in and now look at the increased parity in the league. Come on MLB! Get with the times.

There is no salary cap in baseball, because smaller market teams don't want a salary cap. No salary cap means no profit sharing, and no cap penalties, which means no free money for the smaller market teams. Everyone seems to think it's the big spending teams that don't want a cap, when it is really teams like the Pirates that don't want it.

With a salary cap, it still stays the way it is, but the smaller market teams go under. I would argue there is equal or more parity in Baseball than the NBA, NFL or NHL.

In the last 20 years there have been 13 different World Series Champions.

Anyway, RIP Mr. Steinbrenner, I'm sure Bob Sheppard is announcing your entrance into heaven. "Now Entering the Pearly Gates, The Boss, Mr. George Steinbrenner."

As a life long Yankee fan, it's been a rough few days, we lose the Voice of the Yankees in Bob Sheppard, and the heart and soul in the Boss, Mr. George M. Steinbrenner.

Makes me ask one question - why is there no salary cap in baseball?

.... Get with the times.

Get with what times?

I'm still an evil capitalist in the 21st century' date=' as rare as that seems to be...

My problem is the damned tax dollars spent on the stadiums and such.

Why am I funding professional sports arenas with my taxes?

When I rent a car or hotel room for guests or vendors from out of town,

why am I subsidizing pro sports with an additional 4% tax?

I'm waiting for my share of the profits.

That's why I want to see the salaries capped, so I can get my cut from the deal.

If a sports team can't draw a big enough audience to pay the bills, they need to throw in the towel.

NONE of them are "too big to fail" in any way, shape or form.

That said, R.I.P. George.

God rest your soul, and bless your family.

Get with what times?

The modern times where three of the four major sports leagues (NFL' date=' NBA, and NHL) in this country have salary caps and one does not (MLB).

My problem is the damned tax dollars spent on the stadiums and such.

Why am I funding professional sports arenas with my taxes?

When I rent a car or hotel room for guests or vendors from out of town,

why am I subsidizing pro sports with an additional 4% tax?

I'm waiting for my share of the profits.

That's why I want to see the salaries capped, so I can get my cut from the deal.

If a sports team can't draw a big enough audience to pay the bills, they need to throw in the towel.

NONE of them are "too big to fail" in any way, shape or form.

You'll get no argument from me. Tax dollars for stadiums? Nope. Fund it with a sponsorships and give the place a corporate name. Its all commercial entertainment anyway. We aren't that far from seeing more than the manufacturer's logo on jerseys and sweaters. They do it for soccer (football to you Europeans).

And to your second point about teams not being able to pay the bills, again, I am all for it. In my world the Phoenix Coyotes would be back in Winnipeg or in S.E. Ontario.

Archived