Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Montana Trailer will be in my area Tomorrow!!! Check out the guitars I get to drool on!!!

Taylor Player

Uh huh. See there? I was right! That bullion gold on a Gibson top makes for a very attractive look' date=' does it not? Would not an SJ200 look magnificent with such a paint job? Gorgeous!

[/quote']

It's really beautiful Here's the thing as far as I'm concerned . . . I do not like guitars with a lot of bling, millions of intricate inlays etc and I do not like gold hardware . . . I prefer nickel by far, but a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top (and I am the lucky owner of one) you can not beat. It's a special colour many have tried to replicate, none have achieved it to my mind!

So now I see this gold top J-45 and it looks fantastic. Is it a one off, or is it for sale or what? anyone know?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well' date=' I am back and it was well worth the short drive to go play these. All seemed to be in pretty good playing condition, strings were newer and all the guitars were nice and shiney! [biggrin']

That's great news!

-- Bob R

Electrified' date=' you'll recognize it as the electric guitar sound on MANY of the Beatles early records.[/quote']

Yeah, when I started really paying attention to the Beatles' gear, I was shocked how many parts I thought were played on electric were actually played on the 160.

It's really beautiful Here's the thing as far as I'm concerned . . . I do not like guitars with a lot of bling' date=' millions of intricate inlays etc and I do not like gold hardware . . . I prefer nickel by far, but a Gibson Les Paul Gold Top (and I am the lucky owner of one) you can not beat. It's a special colour many have tried to replicate, none have achieved it to my mind!

So now I see this gold top J-45 and it looks fantastic. Is it a one off, or is it for sale or what? anyone know?

[/quote']

The Goldtop was just completed about 10 days ago according to the techs there. It was for sale and they had a list price as well as the "Buy it today" price which I thought was pretty amazing. I had never seen a "New" J-45 priced that low before. The Tech asked that I not divulge the today only price as after today that price would be gone and tomorrow in LaCrosse, WI, it may be different. I assume each dealer that has the trailer there want's or get's a cut of any sales and can have some say in the overall daily sale price.

BK - I actually was surprised by the 3/4 LG looking Guthrie model as well. Pretty sweet sounding guitar but for the price, I would like a bit more size! lol......

Looks like fun...too bad my timing is off again. I'm going to be in Minneapolis NEXT week. Too bad.

What's that red guitar? Is that the J-45? I didn't think they were still a current model...Love me a red guitar.

The Goldtop was just completed about 10 days ago according to the techs there. It was for sale and they had a list price as well as the "Buy it today" price which I thought was pretty amazing. I had never seen a "New" J-45 priced that low before. The Tech asked that I not divulge the today only price as after today that price would be gone and tomorrow in LaCrosse' date=' WI, it may be different. I assume each dealer that has the trailer there want's or get's a cut of any sales and can have some say in the overall daily sale price.[/quote']

Thank you, I went back and read your earlier post and realised you had covered this. I was too busy looking at the pictures at first. Oh well I'm in England, so there is no chance of getting any kind of decent price on it here!

What's that red guitar? Is that the J-45? I didn't think they were still a current model...Love me a red guitar.

The picture of the red guitar is not all that clear, but I am pretty sure it's a 60's reissue J-45 with white pick guard. They have done a couple of different reissues of those, some with ADJ bridge, some non adjustable. They look great. They have also done a black with white guard reissue.

Why would they bring back the adjustable saddle???????? Talk about tone killer.....

Well . . . yes and no!! I have played some adjustable ones from the 60's that sound astounding. Maybe they shouldn't on paper, but some of them do. My own one sounds very mice, but I have heard better ones!

They have probably done it to be faithful to the original guitar they are re-issuing.

TaylorPlayer' date='

Did you happen to spot the B25 limited run while you were there?

Rob[/quote']

You know Rob, now that you mention it... I don't recall seeing it? Can anyone spot it in the photos. I was yakking so much with the tech guy it is possible I just missed seeing it.

Hey Nodehopper..... If I had driven my wife's Suburban over with it's towing package, I might have beat you to stealing the trailer, but as it was I knew my VW Golf was pulling that trailer nowhere! lol........

Yeah' date=' when I started really paying attention to the Beatles' gear, I was shocked how many parts I thought were played on electric were actually played on the 160. [/quote']

I had always thought the opening riff on "I Feel Fine" was Lennon's Rickenbacker 325 (Miami) but, of course, it was the J160e. Legend has it that he discovered the opening feedback when he had the J160e leaning against Paul's bass amp when Paul hit an open A on his bass and the J160e's A string oscillated in sympathy and began to roar against the amp.

I had always thought the opening riff on "I Feel Fine" was Lennon's Rickenbacker 325 (Miami) but' date=' of course, it was the J160e. Legend has it that he discovered the opening feedback when he had the J160e leaning against Paul's bass amp when Paul hit an open A on his bass and the J160e's A string oscillated in sympathy and began to roar against the amp.

[/quote']

Sorry to threadjack, everyone, but have any of you checked out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Gear-Fours-Instruments-Studio/dp/0879309563/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279901091&sr=8-1

It's exhaustive!

If that trailer visited my town....you would see me on the 11 o'clock news ....speeding down the freeway .....trailer on the hitch of my truck and probably 50 cop cars and some news helicopters following..... [biggrin]

Would OJ Simpson be sitting beside you?

Uh huh. See there? I was right! That bullion gold on a Gibson top makes for a very attractive look' date=' does it not? Would not an SJ200 look magnificent with such a paint job? Gorgeous!

[/quote']

Indeed you were right Buc. I thought you were as mad as a bag of frogs when you first aired the J200 gold top idea. But now I totally agree. I can see exactly what you mean and it works too.

Great call Buc.

I wonder which of them would avoid jail?

Taylor Player' date=' thanks for the photos and the report.[/quote']

No problem AJ... I can more than honestly say that it was my PLEASURE to go play a beavey of beautiful Gibsons. And as much as the idea would not initially appealed to me due to the "Gold Top" (I am a natural wood grain lover) I just can't shake how nicely that J-45 played and sounded. I honestly have not fallen that hard and fast for a guitar since I got my Taylor back in 1993. It was only 10 days old and yet sounded open and played in. I told my wife tonight that I really think I just played the nicest feeling guitar I had ever held in my hands with that one. It was really THAT GOOD!!! and for $300 +- less than a new AJ at Guitar Center, it was the deal of a lifetime that I could not have possibly been able to pull off............ [cool]

Sorry to threadjack' date=' everyone, but have any of you checked out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Beatles-Gear-Fours-Instruments-Studio/dp/0879309563/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279901091&sr=8-1

It's exhaustive![/quote']

Got it... and the Beatles Chronicles and the Beatles Recording Sessions... ;)

... we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

No problem AJ... I can more than honestly say that it was my PLEASURE to go play a beavey of beautiful Gibsons. And as much as the idea would not initially appealed to me due to the "Gold Top" (I am a natural wood grain lover) I just can't shake how nicely that J-45 played and sounded. I honestly have not fallen that hard and fast for a guitar since I got my Taylor back in 1993. It was only 10 days old and yet sounded open and played in. I told my wife tonight that I really think I just played the nicest feeling guitar I had ever held in my hands with that one. It was really THAT GOOD!!! and for $300 +- less than a new AJ at Guitar Center' date=' it was the deal of a lifetime that I could not have possibly been able to pull off............ [angry']

that's an amazing price. i absolutely love the colour.

Archived