Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Montana Trailer will be in my area Tomorrow!!! Check out the guitars I get to drool on!!!

Taylor Player

The Gibson trailer and factory reps are scheduled to be at one of my local (smaller) type shops tomorrow near my house and I am drooling over this list of "Featured" guitars they will have....

Gear for purchase through this traveling exhibition:

J-185 AN

J-185 EC VS

J-45 Standard VS

Songwriter Deluxe Studio VS (normally only available in Natural)

Songwriter Deluxe Cutaway Studio

Hummingbird

J-185 Burgundy (one-of-a-kind, special color)

J-45 Gold Top (rare color)

J-165 RW Non-Cutaway

60's J-160E (vintage accurate)

B25 (limited run)

L-1 Lefty (great small body lefty)

Arlo Guthrie LG2 3/4

John Lennon J-160E Peace Model (just like John's, natural finish)

Now I just wish I had some $$$$$ [-(

At any rate I am going to check them out. They are only here for about 6 hours during the day so I am going to play a little hookie from work and drive over. Anyone been to one of these? Do they have any techs there? If so, I might bring my AJ and LG1 over for a check up..... :-

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sweet hookey trip. where is the schedule for that thing? are they coming to metro detroit? b25 re-issue? sweet as well.

No idea Cunk.... I got an email from the Store since I am on their mailing list... Here is a link to thier website' date=' but I haven't checked around to see if there is a schedule.

http://www.americanguitarandband.com/

Hey and on another note... Yesterday I offered a guy on Craigslist a trade of my recently aquired 1962 Ibanez Goldentone for his 1968 LG0 which from his description is in "Mint" barely played condition. He got it from the original owner a few months ago and had it listed locallly for $750. I offered up the trade and he is excited to see my guitar as I am his. I wonder how close to sound and playability it will be to my 64 LG1? I am wary of the neck though and will give it a good work out tonight when we meet to check out each others guitars. According to him, the neck angle and everything is top notch, but I am more worried about the real skinny neck. Just have to wait and see though, but an all "Hog" LG0 would sure look sweet next to my LG1!!! [biggrin]

Here is the link to the Craigslist Ad for what may become my newest guitar addition tonight!!!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/1823304484.html

Any thoughts on the trade? Here is a photo of my Goldentone..... Would you guys do the trade even up? I got the Goldentone in another recent trade and really enjoy it, but have been and will always be an acoustic player first and foremost....

100_0675.jpg

taylorplayer....

that goldtone is BADA$$!!!!!!!!!!

haha

if the guitar is in the shape that he claims it is...he'd be a fool not to make the trade...you can find gibson lg-1's pretty easily on gbase...or ebay...etc...but you dont see those goldtones everyday!!

i hope it works out for you!

Anyone been to one of these? Do they have any techs there? If so' date=' I might bring my AJ and LG1 over for a check up..... [cool']

I've been to see the acoustic trailer several times, but not in the last few years, so my info may be out of date. I was disappointed to find guitars that were poorly maintained, in particular, that many suffering from moderate to severe humidity damage. There was no tech, which helps explain the maintenance issues, but, on one occasion, the local Gibson rep was doing free string changes at the same time the trailer was there.

I hope someone will jump in and tell you that things have improved in the recent past!

-- Bob R

is the ft the texan??

i have always wanted one of those!

i hope you can swing it zombywoof!

good luck to you!

I am hoping it is still sitting in the closet where it was stashed last year.

The FT-79 was not called the Texan until the Gibson versions came out. The Epi version which was introduced around 1947 has a different body shape than the very J-45 looking Gibson version.

No idea Cunk.... I got an email from the Store since I am on their mailing list... Here is a link to thier website' date=' but I haven't checked around to see if there is a schedule.

[/quote']

I would think if there is a trailer full of Gibson acoustics touring the Country "for sale", they would make a schedule REAL easy to find for Gibson acoustic "buyers".

But hey, that's just me......

I have to think there might be a schedule. I will ask the Gibson Factory Reps today for you guys and see if I can get a copy of the schedule to post here.

I am also bringing my digital camera and don't worry KL.... I am going to look at that gold top first thing!!!

Also, I now have an even better reason to go to the store..... I need new strings for my newest Gibson addition!!! :-k

1967 or possibly 1968 (Gibson search indicates the serial number would have been from 1967 but the Guitar Dater site indicates Kalamazoo 1968 so I am not sure. The serial number is 867604 if anyone has a better clue?)

I can't believe the great condition!!! It has one scratch under the pickguard and a couple of very small chips in the tortis binding around the front. What is weird is my LG1 has a cream colored binding on both the front and back of the guitar while the LG0 has the tortis color binding only on the front. It also came with the original chipboard case........

Happy New Guitar Day!!! [cool]

100_0873.jpg

100_0879.jpg

100_0876.jpg

100_0875.jpg

My 64 LG1 and new 67 LG0 together!!!

100_0880.jpg

And the latest current "Family Shot" (Better ones to come!)

100_0885.jpg

the trademaster strikes again. it seems you came out way on top of this one. how's the tone?

[crying]:-#[biggrin]

The tone is actually a bit brighter than on my LG1 and there seems to be less sustain but I really need to take some time and play both to get a feel for the differences. The LG0 does have a skinnier neck but it seems that my recent electric playing has made the skinnier neck on this Gibson not feel bad. I played for a long time on it last night with no finger cramping or problems.

With my old Ibanez Goldentone, I really had no idea of the potential value so who knows who came out on top. All I know is he is a "gigging" electric guitar player and I am mostly a stay at home couch potato acoustic player and the LG0 probably suits my style more. He was really excited about gigging the Ibanez this weekend and promised to let me know how the crowd (especially other guitar players) react to the Ibanez. I am glad he is a player and not a collector as the Ibanez had several modifications that made it a much nicer player but took most of the collectability away from it in my opinion. It was a fun guitar and I wouldn't mind having kept it, but hey...... I got a new/old Gibby out of the deal!!!!!

[crying]:-#[biggrin]

The tone is actually a bit brighter than on my LG1 and there seems to be less sustain but I really need to take some time and play both to get a feel for the differences. The LG0 does have a skinnier neck but it seems that my recent electric playing has made the skinnier neck on this Gibson not feel bad. I played for a long time on it last night with no finger cramping or problems.

With my old Ibanez Goldentone' date=' I really had no idea of the potential value so who knows who came out on top. All I know is he is a "gigging" electric guitar player and I am mostly a stay at home couch potato acoustic player and the LG0 probably suits my style more. He was really excited about gigging the Ibanez this weekend and promised to let me know how the crowd (especially other guitar players) react to the Ibanez. I am glad he is a player and not a collector as the Ibanez had several modifications that made it a much nicer player but took most of the collectability away from it in my opinion. It was a fun guitar and I wouldn't mind having kept it, but hey...... I got a new/old Gibby out of the deal!!!!! [/quote']

I think you did very well on your trade. I saw one of those Ibanez's in the Washington, DC craigslist for $200 recently. I think you did well with the LG0. Plus, your LG1 is not so lonely now.

I've just noticed no reply from Buc McMaster on this thread . . . . are you there Buc . . . . A GOLD TOP J-45!!

Okay, okay. I deserved that. And, yes, if I were a rich man I would certainly look into owning a Gibson something-or-other in bullion gold!

Well, I am back and it was well worth the short drive to go play these. All seemed to be in pretty good playing condition, strings were newer and all the guitars were nice and shiney! [biggrin] I have to say out of all of the guitars I just played there, that Goldtop J-45 was the standout winner! It was only about 10 days old from what the techs said. I can only imagine how good this one will sound over the next several years. And the "One day only" price they had on this Goldtop J-45 was about $250 LESS than you can buy an Advanced Jumbo for from Guitar Center!!!! (The tech asked that I not advertise the price too much as it can change depending on the dealer they are working with for the show. All I know is if I had had anywhere near that amount, that guitar would have come home with me..... of course I would likely end up a single man after that, but............... :-$

There was a beautiful J-200 there but it was not for sale due to a very minor finish problem around the sound hole. The tech working told me they were not offering that for sale because of the finish problem they had discovered. It played very nicely and I figured they probably would sell it for the right price if someone fell in love with it though. The John Lennon Sig acoustic was somewhat unimpressive but it was a 60's model with the same kind of tone sucking bridge that my LG0 I just got has only it seemd to vacuum the tone away more than on my LG0 so who knows.

I did pull my newest Gibson out to show the techs and they were amazed at the condition for a 43 year old. I was a bit sad that they had no Gibson bumper type stickers there. I was hoping to pick up a couple for my LG1's case that says very prominantly on the front "MARTIN" [blush]

Anyway, enough of my blathering on about the guitars..... suffice to say it was well worth playing hookie from work for a couple hours today! YOU WANT PHOTOS!

By the way, short of finding out they would be at "Daves" guitar store in LaCrosse Wisconsin tomorrow, the guy I talked with had no idea where they would be after that. [confused]

100_0891.jpg

100_0893.jpg

100_0892.jpg

100_0888.jpg

100_0887.jpg

100_0886.jpg

100_0889.jpg

100_0890.jpg

This is the same trailer they had t the Dallas Guitar Show a few months ago, but they seem to have doubled the number of guitars inside.

This little Arlo Guthrie LG was my favorite, strangely enough. I don't really like small bodied acoustics!

100_0889.jpg

Thanks for the pics, TP!

The John Lennon Sig acoustic was somewhat unimpressive but it was a 60's model with the same kind of tone sucking bridge that my LG0 I just got has only it seemd to vacuum the tone away more than on my LG0 so who knows.

[/img]

It's not the bridge that makes the Lennon-spec J160E (the "Peace" model) sound that way; unlike the J160E Standard, which is a solid wood, x-braced guitar set up with acoustic strings, the J160E Peace is a ladder-braced, laminated top guitar set up with electric strings more or less. It's really an electric guitar that LOOKs like an acoustic.

By the way, it's SUPPOSED to sound that way! Beatles fans kill for that distrinctive, dead tone heard on many of their heroes' records when the J160E Peace is used as an acoustic. Electrified, you'll recognize it as the electric guitar sound on MANY of the Beatles early records.

I have J160E Peace as well as a J45TV, and while you'd never confuse one for the other tone-wise, the J160E Peace it has a beautiful tone in its own way, even unamplified. Plus, it PLAYS like buttah!

Red 333

Archived