Gibson Brands Forums

This is one weird flametop.

dem00n

Well, it is what is intended to be. Back then they didn't book match the tops, and they weren't chosen for having any flame. Some just happened to have it. It wasn't until later that they started finishing them in cherry and started making the seam in the middle. However, I don't know if they were bookmatching the tops at all back then. Nowadays of course people have a coronary if it's not perfectly flamed and bookmatched.

Nowadays of course people have a coronary if it's not perfectly flamed and bookmatched.

For 4 grand I need it to be perfectly flamed and bookmatched' date=' bring me a drink and give me back rubs every night. [biggrin

"These feature an off set center seam and light backs' date=' capturing a phase throughout the 60's and 70's where players would take a Gold Top Les Paul and refinish the top in a Sunburst."[/i']

Yes, I caught that too. So they didn't care if the top was bookmatched because it was painted in Gold.

You know Bill and River' date=' I was trying to keep this sophisticated. [cool']

Yeah, your "for 4 grand" post was all that...

However - while I do understand that the heart wants what it wants, I guess I've just never had enough extra scratch to buy something this weird.

Sorry.

A truely bookmatched flame top will have the lefts and right side nearly mirror images, but in negative form. i.e. darks mirror lights and vice versa.

This is either a mis-aligned book-match or not a true bookmatched.

That and it's off center.

It might not bother some, but it bothers me.

No EMG's' date=' But I think it may have a burg inside of it. I played it once, and it sounds like there is a burg inside. Is that normal?[/quote']

I thiink the burg jerky was an occasional, incidental "occurence" prior to "58. During the transition year model, 1958, when when some not-bookmatched tops, produced in '57 and originally intended to become goldtops, were finished as sunbursts, and before the 1959 year model when tops were intentionally bookmatched, THEN the burg jerky became more common. In 1959, the burg jerky became an "under the table" option. And so it is with the reissues.

Archived