Gibson Brands Forums

If you think bridge pins don't affect tone, try this.....

Gilliangirl

I know, I know, another bridge pin thread, but bear (bare? beer? bair?) with me here. Being rather impulsive and impatient, I decided I couldn't wait til the weekend to put the new saddle (which will require a custom fitting/sanding)and pins in Elmo, complete with new strings. So, because I don't have any spare strings lying around, I gently loosened the ones currently on the guitar and started putting the pins on one by one. Let me tell you, if you don't think bridge pins make a difference in tone, try just putting one or two on, then play a few songs. You will be convinced. I can DEFINITELY hear a difference. I put the new bone pins on the high and low E strings, and the sound of those strings popped out very clearly when strummed, compared to the others. I admit I was a believer before, but this really solidified it for me. Try it, you'll be sold! [biggrin]

IMG_1123.jpg

Karen,

The scientific method at work. What a great way to set up your experiment. Just one variable! And your results are from a direct comparison in real time! You go, girl...

I'm convinced. (I always was... my Colosi bridge pins sure make my guitars sound better to me.) But your "experiment" really seems to me to be as valid a test as I think there could be. Good for you!

Jack6849

The Elvis paraphernalia peeking out in your Elmo pin photo gives you instant credibility, and assures us that all you say is true...

Scientifically, your achievement transcends the musical realm and places you on par with Einstein, Newton, and whoever invented high fiber Pop Tarts...

Be sure to post pics when shopping with the Nobel prize money...

One time I put those gold anodized aluminum pins* in my J200 and I heard a big difference in tone but I had also put new strings on (duh).

* or whatever they are....

I ended up putting the original raggedyass rosewood pins back in. Now you're making me want to try Cadillacolosi pins.

Congrats on the new hardware! Whether pins make a sonic difference or not (I think they do), it just ain't right for a finely constructed instrument to be wearing plastic on the bridge. Kinda like fine jewelry on a pretty woman - it just looks right.

i called Bob Colosi about my 72 Yamaha FG-130...(i know its not a gibson...but i just traded in my LG-2 to get my ES-335!!)

and Bob was the man!

first off...its almost impossible to find any real info on Green Label Nippon Gakki guitars...

i fell in love with them after borrowing my buddies FG-160e (the fake gibson) but they sound great!

i think i am just going to send everything i got to Bob and just have him fit them up...

but Karen, this convinces me further to get it done sooner rather than later!

thanks guys!

I am glad you are happy but I remain a skeptic. Over the past 50 or so years I have tried every kind of pin out there. What I kinda figured along the way was that it was not the material they were made out of as much as having proper fitting pins which becomes an issue when you start getting pin hole wear.

About my only real epiphany regarding bridges and such has been when you are dealing with a floating bridge, ebony does a heck of alot better job at transmitting vibration than rosewood.

Karen,

I think there can be little doubt that when the history of "bridge pin science" is finally written, your name will occupy a prominent place in that account. Let's remember that Einstein was but a patent clerk when he offered up his first ground-breaking papers on general relativity. His early work rocked the world of science.

Now, just as then with Dr. Einstein, it's simply impossible for any of us to say exactly where further research in this area might lead you. Likewise, the full ramifications of your initial findings may only become clear with the passage of time. For now, I think it's a safe bet that the rigorous methodology you have demonstrated, combined with your obvious persistence, will have to be acknowledged as fundamental, when viewed by future generations of bridge pin enthusiasts.

I, for one, am proud to say that I was among those who were there when the results of this important study were first offered to the public by you (and, of course, by Elmo....).

Sincere thanks to you both,

Jack6849

i called Bob Colosi about my 72 Yamaha FG-130...(i know its not a gibson...but i just traded in my LG-2 to get my ES-335!!)

and Bob was the man!

first off...its almost impossible to find any real info on Green Label Nippon Gakki guitars...

i fell in love with them after borrowing my buddies FG-160e (the fake gibson) but they sound great!

i think i am just going to send everything i got to Bob and just have him fit them up...

but Karen' date=' this convinces me further to get it done sooner rather than later!

thanks guys![/quote']

My '68 Yamaha FG150 Red Label now has a bone saddle and nut, but still has plastic pins. I've just purchased some rosewood pins for it. I know it isn't very scientific (unlike GG's experiment) but it seems to me, the harder the material the string bears over (nut and saddle) and against (bridge and pins) the more the string vibrations will transfer to the top. I'm sure there is physics out there somewhere that would support this. In the whole nut - saddle - pins equation, the nut and saddle will be most effective. The pins not as much. That's my $0.02 worth.

Ive done mods and things on my cheaper guitars but if I buy B.C pins would I have to mod anything I have a 2008 j45 standard. With the saddle I understand I will have to adjust the height

You can buy an already made up saddle from BC and sand down the bottom yourself (BC includes great instructions). Or send BC your saddle and he will reproduce the shape and height and ship both back.

You know GG, you may have stumbled on to something VERY interesting here. I have one guiitar where the E and B string just seem to ring out more so than the other strings, and as the strings get older, and the wound strings loose their vitality, it seems to even get more pronounced. By experimenting with different pins, I might be able to "balance" the guitar sound somewhat, so this may be just the thing!!! Thanks.....and the different types of pins will just make for good conversation. Kind of looks interesting on your photo.

Archived