Gibson Brands Forums

GASing for a Twin Reverb now...

Dub-T-123

I was at GC Hollywood yesterday and in the "vintage room" I was playing a '67 SG Special into a vintage Twin Reverb. The tone was so awesome. I love that SG. I play it wverytime I go there. It has the short maestro and it has one of the most comfortable necks ever. The Twin Reverb just has the nicest clean tone ever! And the reverb is so awesome. You can just drench your guitar in reverb.

Lol I'm sure you guys are already aware of this already but I was really impressed with the tone. It's kinda the "tone in your head" thing. Now my GAS has flared up to critical levels. I think I know what my next gear purchase will be. The Twin.

Any Twin owners here?

I was at GC Hollywood yesterday and in the "vintage room" I was playing a '67 SG Special into a vintage Twin Reverb. The tone was so awesome. I love that SG. I play it wverytime I go there. It has the short maestro and it has one of the most comfortable necks ever. The Twin Reverb just has the nicest clean tone ever! And the reverb is so awesome. You can just drench your guitar in reverb.

Lol I'm sure you guys are already aware of this already but I was really impressed with the tone. It's kinda the "tone in your head" thing. Now my GAS has flared up to critical levels. I think I know what my next gear purchase will be. The Twin.

Any Twin owners here?

For clean tones' date=' they are beast. I love em, I had major gas but almost all of my gas has subsided lately... too busy working on writing songs.

I want one of those, and a Dual Terror. I think I could wreak havoc with it [biggrin

Yeah the thing is I only played songs that I wrote on it and they sounded pretty much exactly how I want them too. Those old p90s sounded awesome in it but I bet it sounds just as good with my SG.

For me it's a combination of great tone to begin with and then the coolest sounding reverb. It fits my style of playing quite nicely.

I also think I'm gonna put a short maestro on my SG once vibramate comes out with the plate for it. I love doing extremely subtle vibrato or slight downward inflections. I'm talking just barely resting my finger on the arm subtle. It sounds so amazing. I figure the way I would use it it should'nt affect tuning stability and I have another guitar for the alternate tunings I use a lot so changing tunings on the fly wouldn't be an issue.

I've owned a Twin Reverb, in several varieties, for 45 years. I would never Not be with one!

They are awesome amps, and always have been. In my younger, more "insane" days....I

pre-amped a Twin Reverb, into my Marshall Major (Full Stack). Talk about "Tone, " and

amazing volume, too. Wheweee, Jethro!! ;>)

CB

That sounds intense CB.

Since you owned many varieties, I have to ask which was your favorite? Which one (or ones) could just do no wrong?

I didn't check but the one I played looked like it was from the early to mid sixties. (I'm no expert). My friend and I also played a vintage (late 50s or 1960) Les Paul Special into it. It sounded awesome but I coaxed some nicer sounds out of the SG. '67 is my favorite year for SGs!

Well, they've all been great, really. The "Blackface" Twins, of the early to mid 60's, are

highly prized, that's for sure. And, there's a reason...they sound great!

But, the one I own now, is a '80 135 watt version, with the master volume/push pull distortion.

I don't really use the push pull distortion feature...but, it's clean tone is Great, with loads of head-

room! I DO use the master volume, so I can play in smaller venues, and still get decent

tone. Although, lately...I'm getting lazy (re: OLD), and the Blues Junior is winning out, espeically

in weight (Twins, can weight at about 100 pounds, depending on which version) for the small (bar/club)

gigs. But...the Twin still gets used, out doors, and in larger venues.

Some folks love the Master Volume versions, some don't. But, it's never let me down, in both

tone, and reliability. So, that's all I can really ask for, you know? But, I'd love to have my old

'64 "Blackface," again! ;>)

CB

SGs and silver face Fender amps are tone nirvana. I played in a band with a cat that used a silver face Pro Reverb with a 70s walnut SG w/ P90s. I was playing drums at the time and swore that when I went back to guitar it would be an SG and Fender amp. I am kind of there being as my amp is a poor man's Twin Reverb.

I think the Twin Reverb is probably the best and most versatile guitar amp every invented. Sales figures would probably support a "most popular" designation as well.

Being the "alternative" guy that I am, I have been playing Music Man amps for the last 25 or 30 years. As you might know, Music Man was the company Leo Fender started when his "non-compete" clause expired 10 years after the Fender sale to CBS. Although Leo had nothing to do with the design of the amplifier line, they were kind of "new and improved" Fender "Black Face" designs.

The biggest differences were a hybrid preamp section, EL-34 power tubes versus the 6L6 powered Twin, half-power switches, and the MASTER VOLUME control. The originals came in a Fenderish variety of configurations (2x12, 4x10, 2x10, 1x15) in 65 watt and 130 watt combo and head-only versions. I accumulated four of the different models over time, and have scaled back to two, the 2x12 130w model, and a 2x10 65w model.

The 130w 2x12 combo was my main (blues) gigging amp for years, but as Charlie Brown stated above, in my "older" years it's the 2x10 65w amp that I gig with exclusively.

An original design Music Man (black face, black on silver name plate, 65 & 130 watt models) is a reasonably priced alternative to an over-price vintage (or reissue) Twin.

Another Iconic Fender amp, that's a Great alternative, to the Twin...is the Deluxe Reverb! Outstanding!!

Super Reverbs, are awesome, as well. So, if you don't really "need" the power, of a Twin...check them out.

And, "bang for the buck," the "Hot Rod" series, are great amps, too.

CB

Another Iconic Fender amp' date=' that's a Great alternative, to the Twin...is the Deluxe Reverb! Outstanding!!

Super Reverbs, are awesome, as well. So, if you don't really "need" the power, of a Twin...check them out.

And, "bang for the buck," the "Hot Rod" series, are great amps, too.

CB[/quote']

I would agree as long as you are not talking about the 65 Reissue Deluxe Reverbs. I have one and although it is great for practicing at home, I don't full band rehearse with it or gig with it anymore. The tone is inconsistent and tends to get mushy at odd times. Talk to a lot of cats using newer Fenders and they will tell you the same thing.

LOL...Well, I've NOT had that experience, myself...but, for some folks..."any Fender amp, later than 1964 is a POS."

I don't agree, at all...but, I've heard that, from time to time. ;>) Sounds like, your Deluxe may need some TLC,

from a good qualified amp tech? And, don't forget...TUBES can make a big difference!

Cheers

CB

LOL...Well' date=' I've NOT had that experience, myself...but, for some folks..."any Fender amp, later than 1964 is a POS."

I don't agree, at all...but, I've heard that, from time to time. ;>) Sounds like, your Deluxe may need some TLC,

from a good qualified amp tech? And, don't forget...TUBES can make a big difference!

Cheers

CB[/quote']

I don't know. Seems like Fender started skimping on circuit boards in the 90s (my Deluxe Reverb is an early 90s). An old roommate had a late 90s Twin reissue and it wasn't much better. A guitarist that shares our rehearsal space has a newer Vibrolux and he complains about the same mushiness.

And don't get me started on the current line. One third more expensive and made in Mexico. Talk about kwality. I'll take a 70s silver face anyday.

Man I can't get this tone out of my head. It was kindof surfy and kindof jazzy. It was totally what I've been looking for. I want to go back and see how much that amp costs. I bet it's pretty expensive because the vintage room there is slightly overpriced. I'd love to have it even if it's a total back breaker that I'd have to carry up and down a flight of stairs every time I take it out. The tone was so good and the volume was only at like 2. (I was trying not to be that guy who's playing really loud).

I should have taken some pics of the amp and guitar to show you guys.

IMHO, and I'm guessing I'll be in the tiny (one?) minority on this, a Les Paul through any decent Fender amp will sound better than a LP+Marshall combination (ducks!!!).

I'm a little bit like L5Larry in that I've played (almost) nothing but a late '70s Music Man 2x12 '65' since 1980.

I played, and liked, a few 'Twin's but ended up with the M-M. Slightly more versatile, sonically, for my money.

LPman... Gear.

Pip- you're definately not alone. I would take LP into Fender over LP into Marshall any day. The LP - Marshall tone is a little generic IMO. I'm just sick of hearing it. Besides I'm more of a clean player.

I'm just more of a VOX and Fender amp guy.

By the way I'll try to check out some Music Man amps. I'm really sold on the Twin at the moment though [biggrin]

I'm a little bit like L5Larry in that I've played (almost) nothing but a late '70s Music Man 2x12 '65' since 1980.

The Music Man 212-65 was always a model I wanted but never owned. I was always so satisfied with my 210-65 that I never could quite justify getting a 212-65.

Besides the 212-130, and the 210-65 that I still have, I also had a 210-130, and a 65w Reverb head at one time.

The virtues of the original Music Man's are a well kept secret.

I dumped by old 60s DR for an AIMS Dual 12. Kinda a version of the twin.

Regretted the swap increasingly largely due to age making 90 pounds or so heavier every time I hadda haul the thing. gorgeous sound. No line out. @$#%$#%. Way too heavy for most stuff now.

m

Archived