Gibson Brands Forums

3 Guitars you wish you had never sold/traded.

Dotmaster

In the late 80's, Gibson came out with the Les Paul Custom Lite in black. Basically a custom with half the thickness. Very comfortable to play. Had a raucous, nasty tone. Sold it when I quit the band. I still remember how good it sounded.

Had a blonde Guild M-80, but I only miss the looks. Don't remember it sounding too great, but that just could've been how bad I played. Not that I've gotten much better since then.

My friend and bandmate had the greatest Les Paul I had ever heard. A '68 Goldtop. My heart beats that much faster just thinking of it. He also had that 25th Anniversary Les Paul Custom. Sounded great, but it had to be the heaviest thing on Earth! He got it for like $500 beans. This was back when people would have old guitars catching dust in the attic and you'd find them at yard sales at ridiculous prices 'cuz they just didn't know any better.

This probably doesn't count, but the one true regret was the opportunity to buy a Gibson Lucille for like $300 smacks. This is like, mid 90's. Just wasn't into semi-hollows back then. Sigh..O:)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The one I most regret is the '63 SG.. (I once thought that this was the model that Angus Young played' date=' but found out through this forum that his was a later model with the large pickguard).... Sooooo many war stories..........J[/quote']

Angus has owned and played a lot of SGs, Jep... chances are he has or had a '63 at some time.

Well, I can think of two offhand...mostly because of the value ($$$) they have now as opposed to what I paid for them when they were bought.

1988 Alpine White Les Paul Custom. Paid $835.00 w/ the case. Now goes for $3,399.00.

1989 Cherry Red Gibson ES-335. Paid $835.00 w/ the case. Now goes for $2,500-$3,000+.

](*,) What can I say...hindsight is 20-20.#-o . There were reasons though that I had to sell them and I got more

than what I paid for them, but nowhere's near the price that they're going for now.

Since I can't afford Gibsons at my current economic status ](*,) , I've replace them with Epiphones.

I bought my Sheraton II NA in June 2006 for $529.99 - $350.00 for an old MIM Telecaster & MIM Stratocaster, plus

the case + tax @ $291.92. In April 2008 I bought my Les Paul Standard Plain-Top VS for $399.99 plus case + taxes

@ 518.94 (no trade-in this time like with the Sheraton II previously mentioned).

Although my Epiphones did not cost as much as their Gibson counterparts at this time, I do feel that they are value

in a way far greater than the money they cost. Especially for the pleasure they bring me in playing them. I feel I can

play on a quality (though foreign made as opposed to USA) guitar and not have to take out a mortgage to afford it.

Angus has owned and played a lot of SGs' date=' Jep... chances are he has or had a '63 at some time.[/quote']

The main PAIN about this guitar is that when I bought it for 50 bucks, I didn't have a clue what it was except that it had more growl than the Tele and Martin GT75 that I was playing. Then I did some mods and then I bought a Strat and the SG went into the case and then I sold it back to guy that I bought it from and then it got stolen from his vehicle and ever since, I have an ache in my gut.......lol...........J

Here's my Epiphone custom tele-

epiphonecustomtele.jpg

Wow!

That is one beautiful guitar.

Used to hate teles.

Played a 2007 fender american telecaster in natural ash.

Wow, throw some delay, do some bluesy bends, whatever you do it SINGS, very vocal guitar IMO.

Sadly there was only a Solid state Marshall around, would've loved to have used it with my 1988 fender twin.

Very nice.

[-o<

Gibson SG-X (one 500T HB with coil tap) chocolate brown

Danelectro U3 (1999)

Gibson Lp Standard 2001 Wine Red

But I bought a 57' Goldtop Elitist that is far better than the Gibson

and picked up some other axes (Gibson Blueshawk and Line 6 Variax That cover the others

but do wish I had not sold them (at least the SG-X and the Danelectro U-3 (limo Black)

I haven't had enough guitars to have sold three (actually, I suppose you only have to have had three to sell that many...), but I do regret getting rid of my dad's guitar.

He took lessons in school, briefly, and then put the guitar in his bedroom. The only thing he learned was "Smoke On The Water." He moved out, got married, etc. and then had me. When I was around nine I remember playing his guitar, which seemed huge at the time.

My dad, being a mechanic and not a woodworker or musician, knew that the guitar had a bent neck and threw it away one day. A few years later I learned what a truss rod was. I don't know that this guitar had a truss rod, but it might have. Sometimes I imagine that it was a Gibson J-45 or something, but it was much, much, much more likely to be from Sears, or whatever brand was the dominant cheap guitar in the early 70s.

I guess I don't regret getting rid of it, since I didn't, but I wish I had it... it's the same feeling I get when I think about the Macintosh SE (my first computer) that was put in the trash when it didn't work. A few years later, I could have fixed it.

Only one, no regrets though. Bought a new SG Standard on a Friday, traded it on Monday for a new ES137 Classic. So far it's the most perfect guitar I've ever encountered. Bought a new SG Classic the next year, it's superb. Got a Floyd Rose Discovery (cheapo Strat copy) I'd like to lose...

• 3 years later...

Wow.......where to start?

How about the 1968 Gibson LP Custom I bought when I was 18 for $250, completely original, w/OHSC. traded it for a '59 Chevy Pickup (didn't know what year it was till later). Worth a few THOUSAND now!

1959 LP Jr, 1959 ES-125T, and I had a beautiful 1969 Gibson SG Standard (cherry) with maestro vibrola, OHSC, completely original, that I traded for a 4x12 cab!

Not to mention a '78 LP Custom I lost in a pawn shop for $75! Or the '65 SG Special that was stolen

Wasn't looking very far in the future back then!

MAYBE THIS THREAD WILL KEEP SOME OF THE YOUNGER PLAYERS FROM JUST SELLING OFF GUITARS

WITHOUT CONSIDERING WHAT IT MIGHT BE WORTH DOWN THE ROAD A LITTLE WAYS!

In chronological order.

#1-'66 Gibson SG. My first great guitar (everything is good after a Harmony Rocket). Took off the lyre trem and installed a Bigsby. Stolen 2 years later. My Epi Korina is a good substitute.

#2-'59 Strat. Owned and destroyed by Roger Fisher, flawlessly rebuilt by Mike Lull. Had it 3 years,then traded it to an electrician, for wiring the house I was building. I'll always have a Strat.

#3-'62 Fender Jaguar. Remodeling a house and ran across this in the basement (along with a blonde '62 Bassman piggy back, with covers). Asked the owner if he was interested in selling it/them. Got them both for $850! The short-scale Jag was the easiest playing guitar I've ever owned. Sold it to help fund my start in racing. I'll get another Jag someday. Best Fender guitar ever made, IMHO.

I once owned a Ovation CSE 245 - 12 .

Because she was so hard to play I decided to sell her. Pushing the strings was so hard, that it felt like cutting your finger tips.

But the buyer wanted me to bring her to a luthier. So I did. After 15 minutes work I got her back and she played beautiful and soft for my fingers. The luthier even didn´t wanted money for the work.

So I couldn´t turn backward and gave her to the buyer.

She now plays in a band on stage in Cologne.

IMG_6314.jpgIMG_6307.jpgIMG_6310.jpg

My biggest regret was having to sell my '67 SG Standard with maestro. (The one Angus used in the early ACDC days)

It only cost me $670 in 1980, shop owner's old axe. Had to sell 'cause of divorce and other money probs. Nearly cried having to let it go. [crying] Had it for over 20 years.

Second was my Ibanez Destroyer 2 DT555, Phil Colen model. I traded it in for a Squier Protone strat. The strat I still have and is the best strat I've ever owned.

Only payed $175 for the Ibanez. A little TLC and an SD JB pup on the bridge and she was incredible to play.

Sold my 2 Laney AOR Pro Tube 100w heads as well. Huge regrets!!(That divorce cost me dearly)

Thankfully I still have my beloved strat. [thumbup]

>

mygibsonsg67standard.jpg

Finally found a decent picture of her. [crying]

'62 Epiphone Wilshire, the best solid body I've ever owned or played in 40 years.

'61 Gibson ES 330TD

''62 Gibson ES335TD, the guitar that turned me on to my all-time favorite guitars, which has remained constant to this day..... '61-'63 Gibsons/Epiphones..... Primot combination of quality wood & construction, before the guitar boom changed everything. Many older instruments meet this criteria also, of course, but these guitars have the added benefit of possessing the perfect profile neck for me. As an added bonus, the further they get from their production date, the better they get...... I love the feel & sound of an old broken in instrument.

1. Custom parts Stratocaster....Robert Cray body, 50's reissue neck super-strat 5-way, fully shielded, OC Duff pickups, GREAT guitar. traded it because I thought I was tired of it!!!

2. Epiphone G-400 Vintage with the bound neck! It had the best tone of any humbucker guitar I have ever had. Played great.

3. Epiphone Japan SG, black with added Bigsby B-70. It played even better than the #2 above. Needed better pickups though. It is what I traded #1 for!!!

Now I have a modded Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet that I have vowed to never sell. It has something....

And I am building another Partscaster, though not a hartail. P-Rails, tele 4-way switch, 2 push pulls, and Mighty Mite neck and body.

I need to find another SG someday....Would love another Epi-Japan or Orville, maybe the bound G-400 vintage....or one of the Maestro Epi's....had one of those, too!!!

The only guitar that I regret trading was a PAN copy of a Ventures Moserite which I traded on a Hagstrom II,I didn't need to trade it I found out later because it only needed the intonation set up.That old PAN was in mint condition and sounded astounding and I had loads of money in the bank to buy the Hagstrom anyway but I didn't know the ins and outs of intonation so away the PAN went and I've been kicking my butt ever since I learned to do intonation.One guitar that disappeared wasn't traded but was stolen from my house,it was a cheap Raven copy of a small bodied Martin and it sounded fabulous for a cheap guitar and the store owner had put it aside from the rest of the shipment because it sounded so exceptional and he wanted a musician to have it because of its unique tone.That's why losing that guitar meant so much to me.

I have parted with 3 amps that I really could still kick myself for selling:1. A late 60s Traynor Custom Reverb with a 2-12 cabinet 2. A Traynor MK.111 and that was a deadly amp with gobs of power.3. Last but not least but a first year issue Peavey Deuce with tremolo as opposed to phaser which came on other amps.

One trade that I have mixed feelings about is when I traded a set of guitar practice headphones and an Electro-Harmonix Crying Tone Wah Wah Pedal for a Vox Phantom XII.The wah pedals are pretty rare now and with all originalpots etc. go for about $800 but then again the I recently saw a Vox Phantom XII on ebay for $3,000,so that's pretty good but in retrospect I'll always wonder if there could've been something besides that wah that I could've traded for.

Well if we're talking amps also, there is just one....

A Fender Deco-Tone. Basically a Fender Blues Junior in a very limited edition plastic blow molded case. Sounded great, and was super easy to carry around. Very collectable. You can see it on the shelf behing the bass in my avatar. The tube sockets went out and then I sold just the case.....should have modded it instead!

I regret getting rid of a Electra MPC(mid seventies model)lp Black Beauty,a70's UNIVOX acrlic(see-thru)and a 1986Gibson SG that had the small pickguard and cord plug in on the rim rather than on the front of the guitar.It was Heritage Cherry with PAF's.Now I'm depressed.

*Yamaha SSC-500... my first "real" electric guitar. I gave it to a girl in the hopes of getting lucky... I didn't.

*Fender MIJ 57 strat (hardtail) I bought this off a guy who worked at Musicians friend. It had a nitro finished neck... quite a rarity. Not sure if it was a special edition or what but it was a sweet guitar but needed a refret so unloaded it.

*I had a very unconventional strat that I wired up with single coil sized Duncan humbuckers... each with it's own 3 way mini toggle, and then a phase switch...it offered something like 30 some-odd tones... 27 of which I never used, but I miss it.

As far as Amps go... I've got a few of those I regret unloading as well.

* A 70's Silver face Twin Reverb... my god, that thing would blow the windows out and sounded AMAZING... needed the $$$, you guessed it. It was a short ownership... about 6 mo.

*Mesa Blue Angel... Sweetest sounding amp I've owned but it developed some problems with cutting out, took it to a tech (a good one) repeatedly and he could never sort it out. Mesa said I could send it to them but I was living in Maine at the time so didn't want to pony up the shipping from Maine to California... I crossed my fingers, took it for trade-in, it worked long enough to get a chunk of credit at the shop, and never looked back! I'd have never unloaded it if it had continued to work.

And effects... (while we're at it)

I had an Ibanez Digital Flanger...one of the silver and orange ones that go for a ton of cash these days... I had no idea it was worth anything and traded it for something with a buddy. Can't even say what it was now... he still has it but now it has stopped working.

Oh well, I'm really happy with the gear I have now... it's water (or guitars) under the bridge. [rolleyes]

An old Harmony Mars, I think it was. A closed hollobody, single-cutaway, single-pickup guitar with a three-way flip-switch that was really good. Some previous owner put some Fender bridge where the wooden one had been, and it sounded amazing. They go for a lot more than they should, now. Plus, a beautiful Sheraton I got rid of for the wrong reasons. I think I would be all right with that thin neck, now, but it bothered me then. Well, I have a DOt now, so it's ok.

Archived