Gibson Brands Forums

Capos

Yes: IMHO it has to be a Shubb capo. Once you get the hang of it you can adjhust it up and down the neck quickly and if you have the tension right then your strings should play in tune. I find other capos need too much fiddling to get them anywhere near right.

Make sure you get the one that suits your guitar though; e.g. I have a Fender 57 reissue Strat with a 7.5" fretboard radius and they do a specific capo for that type of neck as well as others for standard necks and wide necks. They even do ones in brass for acoustic guitars.

Yes: IMHO it has to be a Shubb capo. Once you get the hang of it you can adjhust it up and down the neck quickly and if you have the tension right then your strings should play in tune. I find other capos need too much fiddling to get them anywhere near right.

Agreed. I use Shubb. They are made a lot better than some of the

cheaper ones out there. Adjust it once and then just lock it in place behind any fret and you have good

tone. I use a flat one for the classic and a curved one for the flattop.

I use a Kyser most of the time for convenience. For recording, I use a Hamilton Fret Spanner. The Fret Spanner doesn't press the strings out of tune. It's not great for a "quick change" because you have to line it up on the frets just right, and it has a knob to tighten it down. once attached correctly, it can't be beat for accuracy.

I have at least a half dozen of various kinds in a box somewhere, and nothing works better then the ones mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

I used a kyser for a long time, until I bought a new Martin auditorium last year. The Kyser pressed down on the strings too hard to stay in tune. I bought a plant waves adjustable off of ebay for about $10 shipping and all. It has been great. It,s small and easy to use with one hand.

"I used a kyser for a long time, until I bought a new Martin auditorium last year. The Kyser pressed down on the strings too hard to stay in tune...."

Ahmmmm thats what a capo's suposed to do....if you have issues with tuning it's not the capo it's your guitar set-up.

Oops! another typo forgive me RonG the forum spelling and grammar meister! supposed.....not suposed.... should I write it a 100 times for you???

• 2 weeks later...

I love the G7th as well, but you can't clamp it on the headstock when you are not using it, although the minimalist design and mechanics are wonderful. I like the Keyser because you can clamp it on the headstock. And the Shubb is a classic that a lot of players swear by. There isn't a right answer other than to stay away from the Jim Dunlop elcheapo...

-Another vote for Shubb. I've had a Dunlop Trigger since about a month after they were first released. Just recently the spring started weakening to where I was getting some string buzz. I bought a Shubb just to try something different. Except for the fact that the Trigger is so much faster, I actually like the Shubb more. I especially like how I can adjust the thumb screw to get the right amount of pressure for my different guitars. And I can get replacement rubber sleeves for them if and when they wear out.

L8R,

Matt D.

I use a kyser, but it does press down a bit too hard and pulls the strings a bit sharp, I like to try a Shubb, I think it is adjustable. As for setup and a Kyser, if you press the strings too hard with your fingers, it will also go sharp and sound out of tune.

Dunlop capo - the one on the Sherri (i think it is a Dunlop, i have had it for about 20 years) just remember to put it on properly and not to rush like I have in the photo (crooked, did not affect the tuning though). It is very sturdy and clamps tight, just a bit of a pain to put on, have to manipulate it a little.

RLgig08_web.jpg

Archived