Gibson Brands Forums

Most Bang for the Buck Epiphone Electric

JefferySmith

One of the other threads got me wondering about which Epiphone electric would be the best guitar for the money. If someone came to you and said "I want to surprise my son with an electric guitar, and I want to get him one that he won't outgrow immediately". If cost *were* an object (forget the amp for now...that is another issue), what would you recommend?

Another way of wording this question might be "If you were in a minimum security prison and made only $3 a day, which Epiphone would you be saving up for?"

What say you?

If cost *were* an object ' date='what would you recommend?

Another way of wording this question might be "If you were in a minimum security prison and made only $3 a day, which Epiphone would you be saving up for?"

[/quote']

Let's see now..$3 a day (that's about what I make on my retirement income :-) ),

x 365 days..so no smokes?..(can't smoke in Canadian prisons anymore as of this

month anyways), no "skin" books, no snacks...just pressing those licence plates

and saving..why that would be $1095 (US or Canadian..all the same now)..and

that could buy a nice Epiphone SheratonII.. ($600) and a decent tube amp..maybe

an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 ($549)..ok so it's a bit over what's been saved

in the sock up to now.. $1149....but maybe the warden can call MFor some other

online store and cut a better deal, if the instruments are going to be used in a

local band inside the prison.

If they get good enough, they could cut a cd similar to Folsom Prison Blues,

the warden could be a their business manager and that Sherri would be famous!

I just have to say- this same question comes up about every 2-8 weeks.

Someone asked the exact same thing about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

It's probably THE most repeated topic of all.

Ok, I feel better now. ](*,)

Jeffery,

FloyDZeD covered it. Don't know about the vintage thing.

IMO the G-400 is the most money concious bang for the buck guitar out there.

You can get a new faded for three bills or you can spend an extra 50 and get a poly finish.

You can use it as it is and have a well built good guitar or you can mod it to your heart's content.

Great guitar for the money...and it won't cost you an arm and a whatever.

I just have to say- this same question comes up about every 2-8 weeks.

Someone asked the exact same thing about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

It's probably THE most repeated topic of all.

Ok' date=' I feel better now. default_eusa_wall.gif

Even the part about the prison? Yikes, I'm gonna have to start wording my questions so bizarrely that the chances for repeats is virtually impossible. At least I didn't say anything about a desert island.

By the way, what was your answer 2-8 weeks ago? :D

Let's see now..$3 a day (that's about what I make on my retirement income :-) )' date='

x 365 days..so no smokes?..(can't smoke in Canadian prisons anymore as of this

month anyways), no "skin" books, no snacks...just pressing those licence plates

and saving..why that would be $1095 (US or Canadian..all the same now)..and

that could buy a nice Epiphone SheratonII.. ($600) and a decent tube amp..maybe

an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 ($549)..ok so it's a bit over what's been saved

in the sock up to now.. $1149....but maybe the warden can call MFor some other

online store and cut a better deal, if the instruments are going to be used in a

local band inside the prison.

If they get good enough, they could cut a cd similar to Folsom Prison Blues,

the warden could be a their business manager and that Sherri would be famous! [/quote']

Good thing you checked this forum before "lights out".

Jeffery' date='

FloyDZeD covered it. Don't know about the vintage thing.

IMO the G-400 is the most money concious bang for the buck guitar out there.

You can get a new faded for three bills or you can spend an extra 50 and get a poly finish.

You can use it as it is and have a well built good guitar or you can mod it to your heart's content.

Great guitar for the money...and it won't cost you an arm and a whatever.[/quote']

Sure, but can you play it in a prison while learnin' the blues?..you need a amp and

stuff like that. Then there's lights out. A Sheraton II isn't that much more in dollars and

it can be played acoustically...so while you're saving for the amp..you can still

play it "quietly"...the "screws" (prison guards) and the other cons may not appreciate

that " harsh racous F*nder sound" resonating off the cement walls too..that could

get you "30 days in the hole".nevermind the warden confiscating the Sherri....ok..too

much "Shawshank Redemption"...sorry...

Another way of wording this question might be "If you were in a minimum security prison and made only $3 a day' date=' which Epiphone would you be saving up for?"

What say you?[/quote']

How long's my sentence?

If I'm a short timer (and short of funds), a good Dot Studio is the way to go. I know there's been a recent post about them being poor quailty, but a good one is an outrageous bang for the buck.

If I'm a lifer, I'm saving for in an Elitist Dot. It's the most versatile of the Elitists, and all the bling on the Sheraton will get me into fights in the yard.

Red 333

I know there's been a recent post about them being poor quailty' date=' but a good one is an outrageous bang for the buck.[/quote']

...uh, that would probably be me.......BUT.... QC issues aside, I totally agree that the Dot Studio has a great bang-for-buck quotient, especially for a semi-hollow. Hey, that's why I chose it. Just no more sight unseen purchases for me. And ultimately, Epiphone is honoring their warranty - and that has a bang-for-buck aspect, too - and Epiphone is one of the few lower-priced brands to offer a lifetime (or life sentence) warranty..

Carverman' date='

Like the attitude. I can tell you are a practical man. How about the dot studio?

[/quote']

Yes, the Dot, (not familiar with the Dot Studio) is an excellent choice as well,

and good value. We picked up a DoT in cherry at the Gibson Nashville Showcase last year,

(for my friend's son who has a few already including a Gibson LP Studio).

Paid a tad bit more for it, but it was set up, and the case and some other freebies were tossed

in. It played beautifully acoustically..not as loud as some of my jazz archtops,

but you can practice without an amp and still hear it, and he likes the p_ups

enough that he hasn't changed them out (yet).

Although I am not in prison, I am married and have two kids in college so I too can save only about $2-3 a day and I picked the DOT Deluxe. found it on sale for $399 and have loved it every day while I play the blues in my own little prison....

How long's my sentence?

I'm a short timer (and short of funds)' date=' a good Dot Studio is the way to go.

If I'm a lifer, I'm saving for in an Elitist Dot. It's the most versatile of the Elitists, and all the bling on the Sheraton will get me into fights in the yard. [/quote']

Didnya "k*ll a man in Reno jus to watch him die?

So now your "stuck in Folsom Prison and time keeps draggin' on...

and you hear the train a-coming, coming down the track..

Better learn to play your gee-tar..and they don't pay well in the prison

laundry...license plates are now made in Korea...but if you impress the warden

with your bougie-woogie blues on your hard earned Elitist Dot..which is

almost as good as an Epi Sheraton, the warden might let you do some

of his book keepin':-" :-({|=

My first inclination was to pick the LS Studio. Among the Gibson family, I think the Gibson LP Studio is the best bang for the buck. But prices on the Epiphones are so close to one another, it's a matter of $100 one way or the other, not $1,000 one way or the other.

Leaving the Elitists out of the running, I'd have to vote for the Dot Studio. Ridiculously low price ($335 Cdn) for a thinline archtop guitar of that caliber. Great sound, great player, and I'm one of those guys that thinks less knobs is a good thing. LP Studio (at $390 Cdn) a close second.

The G400 I recently bought is absolutely AMAZING!!! It plays like a dream and sounds increcible!! As well as looks incredible!!!

If it were a Gibson I would have happily paid $2000 for it.

The DOTs and DOT Studios are also great as long as you get a good one.

And the Les Paul plaintops are sweet!

I think the AlleyKats are really cool too......... but I've never played one.

Archived