Gibson Brands Forums

Which do you guys think is more important? Learning leads or learning rhythms

alcorn429

Yeah, I'm actually trying to work on my rhythm playing, a lot more! It has a tendency

be be a bit "spastic" at times. LOL! I've always prefered more melodic soloing, and

the "Blues" type solos, too. Was never into "Shredding" per se...so I never learned

too much, of that. I think it might be good to know how, but with the music I tend to gravitate towards,

it would be, basically, useless. However, in short doses, it can be quite impressive. Again,

this is only MY "personal opinion" or prefence.

CB

Initially, I'm in favor of the "both" answer. But since you used the word "important", I think rhythm is arguably

more important due to the sheer necessity in accompanying vocals and/or other instruments. And I think it's safe

to say that rhythm is easier; that's why so many players can strum but not play solo one.

Yeah, John Lennon was a great rhythm player! I think people tend to forget that, at times.

His triplets on "All My Loving" (for just one example, among so many) are SO smooth, and sound effortless.

So, he was one of the great "Rhythmer's" as he called himself, IMHO.

CB

Both. Absolutely.

It's like asking' date=' which is more important: Melody or Beat/time sig.?

Lyrics or Music?

Bass or Treble?

Food or Water?

Crazy question if you ask me.

You need both.[/quote']

You don't need lyrics.

You don't need teble or bass both all the time.

You don't need lyrics.

You don't need teble or bass both all the time.

#1- I was talking about songs which have lyrics along with the music. I think everyone else understood that.

#2 - That's just ignorant. You DO need a certain amount of both or it will sound like crap, usually.

#3 - Why did you find it necessary to have to try and make me look bad, when all you did is make you look bad?

I was just trying to give an analogy.

What was your point?

8-[O:)

My answer is of course both.....but with an additional comment for some players who just see it as an either or situation. Learn some Jazz technique where you lead through the changes as opposed to playing box patterns or pentatonic scales over rock progressions. It will take your playing to a much higher level.

Rhythm! Got to have that! Leads..as fun as they are' date=' are totally optional.

Too many soloists play solos WAY too long. Especially younger, more inexperienced

players. It may be "kick" for the player, but the audience soon tires of excessive,

and/or unstructured leads...guitar, sax, trumpet, anything. It's often, not what you play,

but what you don't play...knowing when NOT to play, and using "leads" judiciously.

Otherwise, it seems way too much like "musical masturbation!" Rhythm drives a song,

and allows the singing, and forms it's "groove!" "Leads" are like punctuation, or should be, anyway...

IMHO. Also, as has been previously stated, great guitar players are equally edept, at BOTH...

often blurring the line, even.

CB[/quote']

Charlie Brown, you dee man with the wisdom, bro...and as brother 71Dee-Luxe said, ""whaddaya play,

lead or rhythm." I simply replied "Neither. I play guitar." I think what both of you said puts it in a nutshell.8-[

a wise old music teacher/friend told me that a musician should be able to play on his own just using chords and the voice. therefore' date=' rhythm and vocal structure are important in order to get a feel and understanding of music's overall structure. lead and soloing is not essential but, can be very tasty. like icing on cake.[/quote']

I can dig that cunkhead. That's how I first started playing guitar. I was first a singer and later learned how to play

guitar and accompany my vocal. As I wrote in one of my own song lyrics when struggling to make my first wife understand how important it was to me "I was just a singer and I loved to sing my songs. I was learnin' how to play guitar so when I sang I could play along. I had such a hopeful outlook. I played in bands and paid my dues.

Now I'm just my only fan and all I play's the blues."

Speaking of rhythm player, I have to agree with Charlie Brown, a lot of what John Lennon contributed with the

Beatles was great and often underrated. Another one of my favorites in that area is Keith Richards from the Stones,

IMHO.

Yeah' date=' John Lennon was a great rhythm player! I think people tend to forget that, at times.

His triplets on "All My Loving" (for just one example, among so many) are SO smooth, and sound effortless.

So, he was one of the great "Rhythmer's" as he called himself, IMHO.

CB[/quote']

Another one Charlie Brown is David Crosby. Listen to some of his Rhythm work with the Byrds, CSN&Y, or

Crosby-Nash stuff.

Another one Charlie Brown is David Crosby. Listen to some of his Rhythm work with the Byrds' date=' CSN&Y, or

Crosby-Nash stuff.[/quote']

Oh, absolutely...and alot of that kind of playing, goes back to what was said earlier, about

working with, but differently, than the other guitarist...complimenting, as opposed to copying

or even competing! I know it seems like a "Duh," but...oh so many don't do that...at least in

the beginning. Another good example..."Buffalo Springfield" had an amazing texture, to all their playing...

even with that many guitarists.

CB

Thanks for the answers guys... My thing is when I think of some of my favorite bands GNR, Aerosmith, Zepplin, Hendrix, Velvet Revolver, Pearl Jam, and ACDC. Almost all of what I remembe3r about their songs are the riffs and very rarely (with exception to some GNR songs) do I remember only the solo .

Yeah, for me...and I only speak for me, here..."Shredding leaves me cold, most of the time." Too many notes,

way too fast. There is a technique prowess that has a "Gee Whiz" factor, for sure. But, I've had B.B. King,

in his wonderful minimalist approach, send the hair on the back of neck up, chills, and all that, with a single note,

or small, well placed, riff. Clapton does that, to me, too. I once heard a "Live"version of his "Wonderful Tonight," that

had a solo that started with a bent, and highly sustained single note...that brought tears to your eyes! No

"Shedder" has ever done that....not to me, anyway. But, again...to each his own.

CB

“Learning?” If this key word is the focus of your question, then rhythm is more important. And, since rhythm (the basics at least) is easiest for most beginners, then focus on that to start out. Like building a house. First, lay a good, solid foundation, then add any frills you want later.

Every great rock/blues song I can think of has a memorable rhythm and most have an almost immediate effect upon a listener’s ability to recognize the song. Rhythm is likely what attracted you to the music you like best.

As a player/songwriter, rhythm most usually is where the song begins to take shape in my head, so I work the key/chords from there, then I add the spices of riffs, fills, solos. Doot, do do, do, dooda, dooda, do do. (Just like that…, well that’s not mine of course, that’s Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Oh, Suzie Q” -- but you see how it works.)

Speaking of CCR – at the pinnacle of rhythm based rock/blues playing yet so overlooked by all those who write about “best” bands of the 60’s & 70’s. Tom and John (like Malcom and Angus) had that selfless “now you shine on, brother” approach that truly worked!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on :D

After reading all these responses, I have to agree....To a degree.

Best thing to learn is THEORY!

Rhythm is VERY important. It may not necessarily be chords, maybe just a riff. Look at a lot of the Led Zeppelin stuff. A lot of riff based rhythms there.

If you understand and get the real feel of the rhythm in a song, pulling a lead out of your *** (or wherever :D ), is much easier.

Theory is a good idea as well to lead playing.

A few examples here...

Lets say the rhythm is in the key of E, some 3 chord rhythm, E A D or something. Playing lead, sometimes, you can simply play the pentatonic blues entirely in E and make it work, other times (this is where theory can come in handy), during the chord changes, you may need to change the key from E to A or D in your solo (in this example). Depends on the how the rhythm is constructed.

Most of my lead playing is BASED on the pentatonic blues scale, but I go all over the place. Sometimes it sounds like crap, other times, I hear the recording and go "Holy crap, did I do that?"

Some of the bands I have been in in the past, I was the lead player (although most often the only guitar).

One band I was in we had 3 guitars, one was strictly rhythm (he was also the singer, also played mostly acoustic).

The other guitar player and I would switch lead duties. Some things he did better, some thing I did better. We struck a balance.

I think it your case that would be a good idea.

I bet you Stevie Ray never asked this question. He just played the frickin' guitar already. Why try to put it into compartments? Where do you draw the line? Play what you feel like playing at any particular moment. Just play it like you mean it.

"Shut up and play yer guitar" - F. Zappa

Think back to your first time playing the guitar i bet we all didn't just pick up our guitars and go in to a Hendrix or Van Halen type solo did we? So yeah Rythym to me is and always still be important.

Look at Metallicas James Hetfield Best Rythym guitar player in the world or what need i say more.....BOOM.

Hmm....Let me put it this way...

Without a good sense of rhythm' date=' your leads are going to suck.

You can use rhythm as lead (ala Chuck Berry or Scotty Moore)

And a wanker is still a wanker......

[/quote']

Oh so very true. However you are talking about a rhythmic feel, which IMO you need to learn, or develope, regardless what you play. That's what seperates a great musician, or guitarist, from just a good one...again IMO.

I belive however the original poster is asking about rhythm guitar as in chords, or backing, rather than just learning single note licks instead...at least the way my knot head interprets it.

IMO I'd say both. I belive it's more of a question which way to go first rather than just learning one style....for me I'd say rhythm first. Again just my opinion, but you'll definitely play out more....or at the very least sooner if that might be what you want.

Anyhow, just one hackers opinion here.

I bet you Stevie Ray never asked this question. He just played the frickin' guitar already. Why try to put it into compartments? Where do you draw the line? Play what you feel like playing at any particular moment. Just play it like you mean it.

"Shut up and play yer guitar" - F. Zappa

There's a story floating that when Stevie was first learning to play guitar, he wanted to play with his brother Jimmy and their friends, but being the "big guys", they didn't want little brother hanging out with them. So, Stevie would stay in his room and play along with the records of the day and try to learn them. He didn't realize that there were two guitar players in the record. He thought one guy was doing it all, so he learned how to play rhythm and lead at the same time. You'll hear him maintain the boogie walking notes and the chunk the chords in between notes. In doing that, he developed a unique style.

Another story that I read in a Legends mag from GW, tells how ZZ Top was playing in a Texas night club and Stevie walked up and asked to sit in. Billy Gibbons knew Jimmy Vaughn, who was standing in the wings and knew that Stevie was Jimmy's brother, but had never heard Stevie play. Billy looked over at Jimmy in a "What do you think?" sort of way. Jimmy just shrugged his shoulders. Billy let him sit in and Stevie bought the house down with his playing. This was one of Stevie's first public appearances and Billy was blown away with his style and expertise.

Archived