Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V transformation.... what do you think??

JRizZ

I think this would also suit an Explorer - in fact I might keep an eye out for an Explorer to try it on in the future - the two together would look awesome!!

Well, I'd love to give it to you to try, but the $200 dollar(with HSC) explorer is in florida.

SO I guess I'll be doing the work myself.

I rechecked your wiring, I'm not sure how the person I was talking with did it, but on a single pickup single pot EVH rig, they put a push-pull pot in to control volume or (pull) tone. Not sure how (well) it worked, but if I personally did a guitar where I wanted individual volume(which I ALWAYS do) and individual tone, I'd do that. Great way to sculpt sound, plus, the killswitch function with the pickup selector and vol. at 0 on one.

I rechecked your wiring' date=' I'm not sure how the person I was talking with did it, but on a single pickup single pot EVH rig, they put a push-pull pot in to control volume or (pull) tone. Not sure how (well) it worked, but if I personally did a guitar where I wanted individual volume(which I ALWAYS do) and individual tone, I'd do that. Great way to sculpt sound, plus, the killswitch function with the pickup selector and vol. at 0 on one.[/quote']

Hmm, that push/pull pot idea is a good one, I might look into doing that pretty soon!

Hmm' date=' that push/pull pot idea is a good one, I might look into doing that pretty soon![/quote']

Yeah, I can't STAND not having individual volume pots.

I can take no tone controls better than individual volume, since bright can be cut out from the amp or an EQ pedal, but not being able to sufficiently balance the dominance of each is practically torturous to me. Especially in a very different set (i.e, 57 classic plus and a 490R, or a P-90 and a PAF-style humbucker), I can't live without them.

But that's just my style, really.

JRizZ, What a transformation!!!! Someone else commented on the shielding job, too, I see. Yeh, that'll stop

the noise.:) LOL!!! Looks like a Supersonic Rocketship.

10...........9........................8-7-6-.....................5................................4-3

"Ground Control to Major Tom...Commencing countdown; engines on.

2.............1......................0............................Liftoff!..........

Check ignition and may God's love be with you."

JRizZ' date=' What a transformation!!!! Someone else commented on the shielding job, too, I see. Yeh, that'll stop

the noise.;) LOL!!! Looks like a Supersonic Rocketship.

10...........9........................8-7-6-.....................5................................4-3

"Ground Control to Major Tom...Commencing countdown; engines on.

2.............1......................0............................Liftoff!..........

Check ignition and may God's love be with you."[/quote']

Doing that copper shielding was quite fun - and it definitely makes the inside look a bit more interesting!

Supersonic Rocketship ready for lift off!!

Your "V" is definitely a head turner. Never cared for this version of the guitar (much prefer the '58 style), but the black PG givers her some serious attitude. Very sharp.

IIRC, RotcanX did the black on Korina conversion on his Explorer. Unusual enough to make you look twice and a major cause of GAS.

Nice job. Enjoy it...

• 3 weeks later...
Hey JRizZ' date=' I've just bought a '99 model and it will be arriving on Tuesday next week, Not copping you BUT, can you send me the specs on what you did as I would love to give my new one a makeover.

Thanks

RR[/quote']

Hey man,

Ok - here are the changes I made:

Gibson 496R & 500T pickups (with chrome covers) same as on Gibson Flying Vs

CTS pots

Sprague Orange Drop capacitor

Switchcraft switch (with chrome toggle)

Switchcraft jack

Chrome top dials

Custom pickguard - made by myself by buying a blank piece of 5 ply pickguard plastic, screwing it onto some MDF (so that it was stronger when using the jigsaw to cut it out), cutting it out very carefully. I used a scraper to get the bevelled edge.

Also I completely (and probably unneccesarily) lined the inner compartment with copper shielding - at least it looks more interesting in there now!

I made a very quick demo video of it so you can hear how it sounds. Although I am playing very poorly in it! Also I should have had my amp up louder. Please excuse the awful playing - I was having an off day!! (not that I am Jimi Hendrix on my "on" days either!)

To view it click --------------->

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know #-o

I'm in the group with Ron G when it comes to V's (more of a traditional guy), but I have to admit you did a nice job with the V and I find it attractive. I most likely wouldn't buy a V, but if I was working a trade and that was a possible option, I would make sure it was thrown in. I mean, everyone should have one of everything and it should be classy - nice job.

Excellent work; a real 'tour de force' as they say. You might want to add a little piece of copper tape to the shielded cavity that folds out onto the upper surface of the guitar to make sure that the foil on the pickguard makes a good electrical contact with it. There was a really good newsletter from Stew-Mac about doing this kind of thing and they recommended that you let the tape bleed out of the cavity a tiny bit all around for this purpose but a couple of 'tabs' added after the fact will work just as well:

ts0052d.jpg

That is one kickass-looking V and I bet she sounds as good as she looks.

Nice work JRizZ! I think V's look over the top, but that's what I like about them (think Rudolph Schenker in concert holding one of his 50+ by the "tail" and raising it above his head, with a big goofy grin as the crowd goes wild).

And I don't think anyone mentioned this: 2008 is the 50th anniversary of the Flying V. Way to celebrate!! :D/

Archived