Gibson Brands Forums

Finally snagged a new Elitist SG in Cherry

JefferySmith

I've been poring over ebay for a used SG Elitist ever since they were discontinued. I just picked up this one new.

8b9d_1.JPG

8b09_1.JPG

8c64_1.JPG

From Japan. They say it is new and has a lacquer finish. Also, notice the Gibson-style headstock. Apparently made for the Japanese market only. The seller has 100% positive feedback with 158 sales, and they seem to sell a lot of guitars.

I've been poring over ebay for a used SG Elitist ever since they were discontinued. I just picked up this one new.

8b9d_1.JPG

8b09_1.JPG

8c64_1.JPG

From Japan. They say it is new and has a lacquer finish. Also' date=' notice the Gibson-style headstock. Apparently made for the Japanese market only. The seller has 100% positive feedback with 158 sales, and they seem to sell a lot of guitars.[/quote']

Just Totally Sick!

Jeff, I hesitate to write this because I might be wrong but I don't think you bought an elitist. Epiphone markets a line of guitars in Japan (Epiphone Japan) that are generally considered to be one step better than the Epis we get here in the states but one step below the elitists. I think you have bought one of those (but again I could be wrong).

I didn't mean to burst your bubble & I apologize if I'm incorrect about this.

Elitists have a unique headstock (not the Gibson style) and say 'elitist' somewhere on the guitar, either on the truss rod cover or on the back of the headstock. I've got 2 elitist sgs & I'll try to post a pic of one when I get home.

Good call Tulsa! The seller has another one up using the very same pictures. I can't detect the Elitist mark on the back of the headstock. Nowhere does the seller mention it being an Elitist with this one tho. Still a very nice guitar Jeff!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-japan-by-gibson-61-SG-Lacquer-Finish-new_W0QQitemZ180262644812QQihZ008QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jeff' date=' I hesitate to write this because I might be wrong but I don't think you bought an elitist. Epiphone markets a line of guitars in Japan (Epiphone Japan) that are generally considered to be one step better than the Epis we get here in the states but one step below the elitists. I think you have bought one of those (but again I could be wrong).

Elitists have a unique headstock (not the Gibson style) and say 'elitist' somewhere on the guitar, either on the truss rod cover or on the back of the headstock. I've got 2 elitist sgs & I'll try to post a pic of one when I get home.[/quote']

No problem. As long as it is made in the Japanese factory and had decent electronics on it, I'll be happy with it. My two Sheraton Reissues aren't Elitist either and fall between the Japanese and Korean models build-wise. And I'm happy with both of them. Truth be told, I'm smitten with the Samick-made Dot I have. I would just like to avoid the Chinese-made guitars (my Ibanez looks good, from a distance). ](*,)

yes, but remember we just had that thread with the japanese elite / elitist with the gibson headstock...pictures

and descriptions indicated they were definitely elites / elitist, and not the nice MIJs w/ the gibson headstock...I wonder

if the PUs will reveal any additional info?

Jeff' date=' I hesitate to write this because I might be wrong but I don't think you bought an elitist. Epiphone markets a line of guitars in Japan (Epiphone Japan) that are generally considered to be one step better than the Epis we get here in the states but one step below the elitists. I think you have bought one of those (but again I could be wrong).

Elitists have a unique headstock (not the Gibson style) and say 'elitist' somewhere on the guitar, either on the truss rod cover or on the back of the headstock. I've got 2 elitist sgs & I'll try to post a pic of one when I get home.[/quote']

These are not sold as Elitists... they are Epiphone Japan guitars, and with the lacquer finish and open book headstock they can be considered that little bit superior to the Elitists, which are also available in Japan. These guitars are also made at the FujiGen plant using the same parts which is why one tends to think of them as 'Elitists' even though, technically, they are not; however an Elitist is the closest thing available on the North American market.

Excellent score, Jeff

I was under the same impression as Tulsa regarding the open book Japanese Epiphones. I thought they used the same woods/electronics as the standard Epiphone line here Stateside. The only difference being the Nitro finish. If Spuds is correct then Jeff you have scored bigtime!

Svet

Yes, that was my understanding too, Svet. But I've never seen the MIJ Epis so I can't say for sure. But I will say that every Fuji-Gen guitar I've ever seen (& they make several brands there) has been top-notch. These guys can hang with anybody, including Gibson, PRS, etc.

Back in the late '70's, when Fender employees bought back the company from CBS, all Fenders were made there for a couple of years until they built the factory here in the states. Some of the best Fenders I've ever played.

I have a great amount of respect for the folks at Fuji-Gen (as you can tell).

Yes' date=' that was my understanding too, Svet. But I've never seen the MIJ Epis so I can't say for sure. But I will say that every Fuji-Gen guitar I've ever seen (& they make several brands there) has been top-notch. These guys can hang with anybody, including Gibson, PRS, etc.

Back in the late '70's, when Fender employees bought back the company from CBS, all Fenders were made there for a couple of years until they built the factory here in the states. Some of the best Fenders I've ever played.

I have a great amount of respect for the folks at Fuji-Gen (as you can tell).[/quote']

Hi Tulsa, that is some interesting information regarding Fender! I had not know that! My exposure to Fugi-Gen is limited to the two Elitist LP's that I own but as you know I too have nothing but praise for those guitars. If that SG is indeed an Elitist with a Nitro finish it sure is something special. And at that price a spectacular bargain! I may get one myself. I will await for Jeff's verdict! Hey Jeff, how about some pictures from the body cavity? Perhaps remove the neck pickup so we can see the joint and innards? I've done this in the past with my Tak and the next time I do a string change on my R9, R6 and Elitist Standard plus im going to do the same. Here are some pictures of the Taks Neck PU cavity:

Picture069.jpg?t=1215532724

Picture068.jpg?t=1215532756

Archived