Gibson Brands Forums

Are all the Elitist series gone?

djroge1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, this is odd indeed. Let's not jump the gun and say that the Elitist series has been discontinued because Epiphone's use of its website has not been stellar. They simply could have left out some html code and the guitar tree is missing the Elitist Link. I'm at work now so I can't check my saved favorites links to see but the Google ones are turning up broken/missing pages. So perhaps they were removed from the Epi web server and the Elitists are done. I have mixed feelings about this as I wish everyone had access to these first rate guitars with their reasonable pricing. On the other hand my collection might just jump significantly in value due to the lack of supply. I don't buy my guitars as investment opportunities but it sure doesn't hurt if/when their value increases. I guess those of you who are on the fence might have to suck it up and order now if you want one.

Svet

I hope it is not true but I can understand if it is. The elitist line is a bridge in price (not quality, from what I have read!) between regular Epiphone guitars and Gibson. You have to wonder, for all the praise, how many of these are sold. It could be a matter of economics and Epiphone is considered mostly as a low price guitar line that we hope sees high volume. In a time of tight money people are either going to buy inexpensive or perceived quality, middle of the line may not fare so well.

I hope it is an overisght, or perhaps retooling as suggested, or maybe Epiphone is taking a breather and will reintroduce these at a later date.

The following two things spelled doom for the Elitist line, at least in my mind:

(1) introducing a line of less expensive Gibsons to encroach on to topside of their niche

(2) raising the price of the Chinese-made epis to encroach on the bottom side of their niche

I think that I will still hang tough with the company if the quality of the Chinese line is as good as the Korean line was. If they are smart, they will come out with a line of "custom shop" quality Chinese-made guitars to avoid losing their pro customers. I know that the Chinese CAN make Gibson quality guitars because I have one (the Eastmans).

T184SBSN3113CuFrnt.jpg

If this move is because they are pursuing the metalhead teens of the world, that niche is bursting at the seams with distortion-laden low end stuff. That would be dumping a needed niche for a packed one.

It was just a question of time. The way the colours and models were disappearing from the available options it was obviously in the cards that eventually the line would be dropped altogether. Perhaps we shall see some interesting clearance pricing as dealers and distributors divest themselves of any remaining stock.

All I can say is that I'm glad I got mine when I did.

It was just a question of time. The way the colours and models were disappearing from the available options it was obviously in the cards that eventually the line would be dropped altogether. Perhaps we shall see some interesting clearance pricing as dealers and distributors divest themselves of any remaining stock.

All I can say is that I'm glad I got mine when I did.

I bought my Elitist Casio a few months ago because I have always wanted one and because I feared their demise. The Epiphone lacquer SG also filled an Elitist niche that had already been abandoned.

Where to go from Elitist?

ESP SG types

Heritage (which are priced lower than the Gibsons)

Eastmans

PRS SC and DC

Washburn USA

The rest are Gibsonesque in price. And that's a shame. Many of us can afford $1,500 if we cut corners for 6 months and save. Most of us cannot justify $2,000 to $3,000 for a Gibson if we aren't professional players. Elitists were in the "prosumer" niche. It will now just be amateur versus pro for the Baldwin guitars.

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't keep the Elitist LPs in the LP section; AFAIK they are consistent good sellers. For example when I bought mine back in 2006 there was a six-month wait time and of the six on order five were already spoken for.

Many of us can afford $1' date='500 if we cut corners for 6 months and save. Most of us cannot justify $2,000 to $3,000 for a Gibson if we aren't professional players. Elitists were in the "prosumer" niche. It will now just be amateur versus pro for the Baldwin guitars.

[/quote']

I think you are absolutely right here, Jeffrey. You know, I played Classic Player's '60s Strat the other day, (these sell for around $800 in the US I think), and I was pretty blown away by it. If Fender can build really good quality guitars outside of the US and make them affordable (or at least sell them at a realistic purchase price for everyday people), then so can Gibson.

And so they should...with the Elitists gone, there's nothing in the 335 area between the basic Dot ($399), the basic Sheraton ($599) and then...the Gibson Memphis ES-335 (satin finish) at $2000. And you have to spend $2400 before you get a 335 that looks as appealling as the Elitist Dot...

Or alternatively, you might just prefer to pick up a Yamaha SA2200 for $1500...

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%25253D60166%252526CTID%25253D600005%252526CNTYP%25253DPRODUCT,00.html

Perhaps the custom of the middle-of-the-road guitar buyer, ought not to be taken for granted...

Hey guys , i really don't get the Elitist mind set. Now i can understand that if you want a new guitar, and would not be happy with a lightly used Gibson, fine. But for the money spent, around 1000 to 1500$, you can get pretty much have any Gibson regular production USA guitar, used in very nice condition. Now i'm the biggest Epi lover, but the value in having Gibson quality ie finish and resale out wieghts the Epiphone name on the guitar. Or do you believe the Elitists are better built guitars than Gibsons, no matter what the price? Stan.

Stan,

Gibson's quality is not what it used to be. So yes, most elitist series guitars were actually built better that the non-custom shop Gibsons. I know a lot of guitarist who switched to other brands because their quality control was better. Ibanez comes to mind, the Epi Elitist, and PRS too.

There was a time (a long time ago) when you could pick up any Gibson and it would play like butter, the finish was perfect, and of course prices were lower (but so were wages). No so anymore. I'd say the quality of the Elitist was on par with Gibson custom shop - not sure if all the materials were though.

I would be more confident buying a mid to late 70's Les Paul (or even earlier, but price goes up) vs a 2008 model.

Stan' date='

Gibson's quality is not what it used to be. So yes, most elitist series guitars were actually built better that the non-custom shop Gibsons. I know a lot of guitarist who switched to other brands because their quality control was better. Ibanez comes to mind, the Epi Elitist, and PRS too.

There was a time (a long time ago) when you could pick up any Gibson and it would play like butter, the finish was perfect, and of course prices were lower (but so were wages). No so anymore. I'd say the quality of the Elitist was on par with Gibson custom shop - not sure if all the materials were though.

I would be more confident buying a mid to late 70's Les Paul (or even earlier, but price goes up) vs a 2008 model.[/quote']

Hear hear!

Well I might be dating myself, but I was around in the 70s and Gibson quality is not one of the things that comes to mind in that era. I would take a new one any day over a 70s model. the reason Dean, Hamer, and Charvel became famous is because Gibson under Norlin were a joke in those days, I know because I had a couple. I know prices are going up on those years, but there also going up on Fenders, witch were also really poor in the 70s, Stan.

All I can say Stan is that I really like my '78 Les Paul and I've turned down numerous offers for me to sell it. And I can still remember the first LP I ever played - a 70's LP Deluxe - that's how much of an impression it made on me.

it just sad! i plan to buy elitist but they all gone.... :)

no hard feeling you guys but i think they are better than the "common" epiphone.. base on where they manufacture.. is there any chance that this product still continuing in japan?

Yes, they will be made in Japan, but NOT as "Elitist," or even Epiphone. Tarada

and FujiGen guitars will be made under their own or other's brand names. Head

stocks will be slightly different...non Elitist, Epiphone, or Gibson, due to patent

concerns. But, "Elitist" quality, is still very much alive, in Japan. We may have a

tougher time, getting them here...save the Japanese E-bay dealers, or if someone

here in the US sets up a/or more distribution center(s). With some solid marketing,

they could do well. Eastman could fill the void, too...if they'd promote thier guitars more.

I too, hope that Epiphone (China) will up it's already good QC, and create a "Custom Shop."

to fill (maybe even surpass) the "Elitist" void. But, Gibson may not want that...as it will

certainly infringe on their own "mid level" sales....if you can call 1500 to 3000 dollar guitars,

"Mid Level?" LOL!

CB

Archived