Gibson Brands Forums

question for you all...

Memphs1978

Ok so here's the question do you listen to the same music that you play... like me i love Slipknot but i have absoulty no desire to learn how to or start playing there style of music i listen to alot of " nu-metal " but i really don't want to play it i enjoy more of the green day stuff or better then ezra some SRV stuff like that the blue'ise, rock, late 80's-mid 90's rock and stuff like that... so i was wondering if that makes me a lil strange or not.. lol

Ok so here's the question do you listen to the same music that you play... like me i love Slipknot but i have absoulty no desire to learn how to or start playing there style of music i listen to alot of " nu-metal " but i really don't want to play it i enjoy more of the green day stuff or better then ezra some SRV stuff like that the blue'ise' date=' rock, late 80's-mid 90's rock and stuff like that... so i was wondering if that makes me a lil strange or not.. lol [/quote']

Nah, that doesn't make you strange at all. I think that because of the amount of music that's out there, and the ease in which to get it, you'll find that a lot of people these days have pretty wide and eclectic tastes...

(And nah, just because I like a song doesn't mean I'm always going to be inclined to want to learn it.)

I listen to both - I listen to stuff I want to play (note, didn't say I already play) - like Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Jet

I've been listening to Tom Waits the past couple of days - wouldn't have a clue on a lot of his stuff - sort of like Zappa, sort of not like Zappa (I'm referring to the instruments, not the vocals). I guess you can say it's sort of Tom Waits.

My listening tastes are very diverse --- there's no way I'd have time to study and master everything I enjoy listening to. The music I most like to play is usually the stuff I enjoy listening to most, and therefore want to incorporate in my playing. I've also spent considerable time studying different styles of music and attempting to learn to play them well enough to assimilate certain aspects into my own playing, and they've all enriched me as a musician.

Most of my favorite musicians have influences from more than one genre. For example, George Harrison's love for and study of Indian music added dimensions to his playing and songwriting even though he never became a virtuoso sitarist. That wasn't the point. B.B.King has acknowledged his love of jazz, Wes Montgomery loved the blues, Bob Marley was a huge fan of Curtis Mayfield and James Brown. That cross-fertilization of styles is one of the things that keeps music fresh, rather than just falling into predictable formulas.

You see, we are not all the same. I'm playing Blues and Classis rock....and I'm almost listening only those 2 styles. It's my favourite music to play and listen too. The only music I'm listening and don't play...is Christmas songs... and for a short period of the year...lollll

I play mostly blues, classic rock, progressive rock.

I listen to those styles of music.

I also like a few songs that I have no desire to play (I know I'm gonna get reamed for this but I like that N'Sync song "Bye bye bye", or whatever its called).

I have no or VERY LITTLE desire to listen to country, but I like playing it sometimes.

I listen to just about everything out there, and my "playlist" sort of reflects it.

As far as what I play the MOST, its definitely "pre war" style blues.

I honestly wonder if i'm not re-incarnated from a Bluesman from that period, because

it seems to just "flow" from me, naturally, and effortlessly.

We play the music that is enjoyable to play and we all listen to a much wider variety of music. A lot of the music that I listen to ranges from the old classic rock and contemporary modern blues to a narrow band of new music, including Malmsteen (mostly for the technical aspect).

When it comes around to what we learn to play for others, we generally have to learn things that we wouldn't necessarily learn on our own. To be commercial and employable, you have to build sets of music for the crowd that you are hired to play for. If you don't play their music, you don't work for them.

I remember when we were playing various gigs in the 70's and 80's we did a lot of corporate parties. Sometimes there would be 500 to 600 people at a Christmas party, some of which wanted disco, country, rock, oldies, etc. We had to learn them all to be employable. In doing that, I learned to appreciate country music, even though I wouldn't choose that on my own, We did Donna Summer, Mickey Gilley, Eagles, Doobie Brothers, beach music, Willie Nelson and 50's Be-Bop when we had to. When we jammed on our own, we played rock and blues.

You experiment with a new crowd. When the dance floor is empty, you play several genres of music until people start to dance, then you know what they want. You generally play something slow to get a few couples up out of their chair, then start the next song before they have a chance to leave. When it is full, you have an idea of what to play next.

To make money at music, you have to play it all.

Archived