Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Darkfire

TWANG

well.. after the less than stellar success of the robot tuner...

apparently they've added efx to some gibson or other.

the vid and ad at gibson only shows some huge tuners.. back of headstock shot..

which was not something that made me interested particularly..

In fact, I told them it was cheezy.

the most powerful guitar in the world..

of course they must mean efx added.. that kind of power.

But.. in the tuners?

I'm generally not the kind to knock something just because it's new or different.. but

in the tuners?

sort of seemed like vox amplugs built into each string or the like..

but then, perhaps I'm wrong, maybe it was just accidental misdirection on their part.

anyone checked that out or heard more?

TWANG

Thanks for the link.

You know' date=' it's about time they did that. For years I've been saying that I could use an LED light on the back of my headstock. Now we're rocking.

[/quote']

Yup in Gibson dollars that's gotta add 3K to the price tag anyway..........COOL#-o [-( :(

Well, if the "Robot" guitar tuned itself, maybe this one PLAYS itself?! They'll technology themselves right out

of the business...the guitar player's business, that is. But, given the direction of music is going, these days...who'll

notice?! Maybe, there's a lens, on the back that projects a hologram of a guitar player, holding this guitar,

so you think someone is actually playing it, but it's really playing itself...or is that WITH itself? End of (Editorial Rant) ;>)

CB

Maybe' date=' there's a lens, on the back that projects a hologram of a guitar player, holding this guitar,

so you think someone is actually playing it, but it's really playing itself...or is that WITH itself? End of (Editorial Rant) ;>)

CB[/quote']

"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi; you're my only hope." [-(

Teaser ads like that are really lame. If you're selling something just show what you're selling. No need for the manufactured drama.

Agreed. Then again, it's great marketing, because it got all of us talking about it and who knows who else will see this thread. I for one am interested in this guitar. Maybe a new body style? Why wouldn't you want to check it out?

Agreed. Then again' date=' it's great marketing, because it got all of us talking about it and who knows who else will see this thread. I for one am interested in this guitar. Maybe a new body style? Why wouldn't you want to check it out?[/quote']

Yeah, they've "teased" us, and we already hate it! LOL! (Just kidding)

CB

From the rather sudued lighting thumbnails, it certainly looks like a lot of innovation has gone

into this design, with a new tuner stop piece, at least one active pickup with a preamp/eq, (hence

the lit up tone control for those darkened stages) and use of carbon fiber.

I saw what looks like carbon fiber on the p_ups and a tiny pattern on the fingerboard that also

looks like carbon fiber. Maybe the position markers glow slightly when the guitar is turned on?

Certainly appears to be lot of high tech innovation on the Dark Fire.

Go "green" Gibson! Use synthetic materials where possible and save those mahogany trees

for your acoustics.

Well' date=' if the "Robot" guitar tuned itself, maybe this one PLAYS itself?! They'll technology themselves right out

of the business...the guitar player's business, that is. But, given the direction of music is going, these days...who'll

notice?! Maybe, there's a lens, on the back that projects a hologram of a guitar player, holding this guitar,

CB[/quote']

Well CB..this is the new age and electronics advancement is everywhere. Why should

we still be living with designs from the 50s, like the LP Gold Top, etc. I-phones are

allowing the power of the internet at the tip of your fingers today and total mobility

anywhere you go in the world.

I'm predicting that with the advancement in microprocessor control and battery saving

technology, the day is not that far away, where you could be able to buy a high

tech Gibson LP that will play by itself from...a download of tunes into a plug in

memory stick.

The memory stick can be accessed by a keypad on the guitar and hold hundreds

of tunes. Stage performers in the future will be show people and not necessarily

good guitar players, just hold onto the neck and make strumming guess-tures

and have a unique image that the masses can identify with.

I am probably wrong, but I get the impression that Gibson tried to answer the VG Stratocaster with the robot guitars and that didn't go over too well. I am not sure what market segment the Darkfire is meant to appeal to. Guitarists have played with effects on their instruments for years - look at some of the guitars in the late 60s - Jerry Garcia also played with these. I didn't get too much out of the clip. I do know that it will probably be out of my price range!

Well CB..this is the new age and electronics advancement is everywhere. Why should

we still be living with designs from the 50s' date=' like the LP Gold Top, etc. I-phones are

allowing the power of the internet at the tip of your fingers today and total mobility

anywhere you go in the world.

I'm predicting that with the advancement in microprocessor control and battery saving

technology, the day is not that far away, where you could be able to buy a high

tech Gibson LP that will play by itself from...a download of tunes into a plug in

memory stick.

The memory stick can be accessed by a keypad on the guitar and hold hundreds

of tunes. Stage performers in the future will be show people and not necessarily

good guitar players, just hold onto the neck and make strumming guess-tures

and have a unique image that the masses can identify with.

[/quote']

Yeah, and I think it's just around the corner (if not already here), where you can have a "virtual live" (music or otherwise) experience, as audience or even a player/participant...and because of that, instruments, will become "museum pieces," and things of curiosity...or "fond memories?" LOL! Plug in "memories" of concerts past, present, future...without even leaving your easy chair, and they'll be just as vivid, as if you'd attended it in "real time/life!" I (as old fashioned an antiquated, as I fully admit to being) have always loved that line, from Jurassic Park, where Jeff Goldblum's character said: "Just because we can, doesn't mean we should!" But, progress is progress, and will march boldly on, regardless of what I, or anyone else thinks, says, screams out to the contrary, etc. ;>)

So...Go, Technology, Go! Damn the consquences! LOL!

Just having a little fun, here...

CB

I think Carverman has it! performances will have people playing guitar hero tracks and lip syncing vocals. Karaoke specials!

And, Rickenbacker can bring back the "Light Show" guitar(s), but with NO Strings! LOL!

Well, this has become a very depressing, thread, all of a sudden.... ;>)

CB

Archived