Gibson Brands Forums

The 11th Commandment

gibplayer

It seems the vast majority of people who are members of the epiphone electrics community are either actual or prospective owners of Chinese epiphones.

Unfortunately, and I include myself here, we are all deluded in to thinking the products we own or seek to own are handsome, highly playable instruments that offer good value for money for our purposes.

Now hear ye:

The 11th Commandment

If it pleaseth the two divine beings who grace this forum with their presence, hence forth let it be a sin to make any reference to the procurement, enjoyment, bangeth-for-shekel or modification of any Chinese made epiphone on this holy forum.

Sinners who breaketh this commandment shall be punsihed with an almighty fire of personal insults and they shall be held in public disgrace for their deluded state.

To clarifyeth: No reference to any epiphones in current production shall be made....oh....except for that USA made reissue.

Oh.....I forgot. They don't liketh that one either.

Tell you whateth, nobody post anything about any epiphone electric guitars from now on unless it's about an olde rust bucket.

Doubting Epiplayer

The converted disciple of the Holy Nelson and St. Marx Bros who siteth at his side

Stand by for the predictable insult directed at their disciple, probably with one word of Olde English at the end.

Red china!

hmm...

i think i would like an older epiphone... korean one? found an ebony sheriton on craigslist... i want it... no $ though...

EDIT: but this is the epiphone forum, and you can't stop people from talking about communist made guitars.

you can, however, refer to God by name in your commandment. 2 beings? HA! you might as well make it the first commandment of a new religion!

though i do hate seeing the "made in P.R. china" on the back of my amp, i couldn't afford a "made in usa" amp of the same caliber for that price barely used.

i DID put an american speaker in my amp and 2 american pickups in my guitar [*waves tiny flag*]

Well, they don't make them in Canada or the U.S. Unfortunate too. The things are made by robotic wood cutters and then finished up by hand. There's a little bit of wood in North America and plenty of folks who'd be willing to work at a decent wage to make the guitars here. I would hazard to guess they could offer to open up a plant in Newfoundland, Quebec, Manitoba or even Ontario and expect to get a HUGE incentive from all levels of government. With GM possibly leaving Canada, I'm quite sure the feds and the province would set up Gibson with whatever they want cash wise to start manufacturing here. Sure, they wouldn't be union jobs, Toyota already builds here without a union, but I'm quite sure that Gibson could still earn a profit. And hey, everyone knows you can't beat the quality of a Canadian made product :0) So if someone wants to get on that...

Well' date=' they don't make them in Canada or the U.S. Unfortunate too. The things are made by robotic wood cutters and then finished up by hand. There's a little bit of wood in North America and plenty of folks who'd be willing to work at a decent wage to make the guitars here. I would hazard to guess they could offer to open up a plant in Newfoundland, Quebec, Manitoba or even Ontario and expect to get a HUGE incentive from all levels of government. With GM possibly leaving Canada, I'm quite sure the feds and the province would set up Gibson with whatever they want cash wise to start manufacturing here. Sure, they wouldn't be union jobs, Toyota already builds here without a union, but I'm quite sure that Gibson could still earn a profit. So if someone wants to get on that...[/quote']

Interesting concept there...lets see..to start a robotic production guitar plant, one would need 300 mil or more

these days. Since it's almost entirely robotic, only the final inspectors (presume guitar players here) would

touch the final product before being shipped out. So besides the CEO, shipper and final inspectors..the

guitar factory would employ only a few people....not enough tax revenue from wages, and guitars that

the gov't would be interested in.

Car assembly is different, a lot of people, besides robots are still employed, plus the subsidiary parts supply industry..

and the gov't realizes a large tax base from wages, CPP etc..and the 3 levels of gov't get as much as several thousand in taxes on a $30,000 car, for example. It's not quite the same tax revenue on guitars.

It's possible that GM might mothball the Oshawa plant, and part of it could be converted to guitar making,

but there is more at stake here..it's the lost income tax revenue, and finding jobs for the unemployed.

Ok, they might be retrained to make guitars, but then the wages would still be higher than a comparible Asian

made guitar and the resulting price increases would start to compete with Gibson USA made guitars, (as

an example).

while we're all airing our grievances:

a lot of users on here have signatures with every guitar, guitar amp, guitar pedal, cord, pick and f#cking doo-dad they own, owned, will own, or have fantasized of owning.

it gets so bad when two or three get posting on a thread, theres 4 tons of sh#t for every corn kernel

a lot of users on here have signatures with every guitar' date=' guitar amp, guitar pedal, cord, pick and f#cking doo-dad they own, owned, will own, or have fantasized of owning.

it gets so bad when two or three get posting on a thread, theres 4 tons of sh#t for every corn kernel[/quote']

HA! You think its bad now? You should have been here last year when Mataic was around. A freaking 5x7 colored glossy of his LP in his sig on every post. Nice guy, but man, that was annoying. After that, these sig pics are easy to overlook. Word.

a lot of users on here have signatures with every guitar' date=' guitar amp, guitar pedal, cord, pick and f#cking doo-dad they own, owned, will own, or have fantasized of owning.

it gets so bad when two or three get posting on a thread, theres 4 tons of sh#t for every corn kernel[/quote']

All signature lines, if they wish to include a photo, must do so with Dubya getting a shoe tossed at him.

apologies for the off-topic curveball- back on topic.

As far as chinese epi's and their detractors go:

It is plain to see why a quality USA made guitar is a pipe dream. If someone builds one here, the price goes up 5-10X - and regardless of what people will say, there is nowhere near a 5-10x increase in quality. I have a chinese wilshire and considering its measly $250 price, it compares favorably to a lot of my more expensive axes

If purists can pony up the $ for a us made axe, more power to 'em...I just think the case candy should include a pearloid, us made dunce cap.

Hey, Whitmore! That's GREAT! I got a big laugh out of that picture! I don't think I can do better.

Hmmm... Make guitars out of left-over car parts? Hmmm... Seatbelts for straps, could make a line

of Basses called "the DriveShaft"....

I find gibson and fender USA made guitars utterly dreadful. Also the chinese follow quite closely to that. I may have just opened a whole can of worms there but still, i find some geetars from usa great, like james trussarts but i like Korean,British and Japanese guitars the best, the sheer quality seems amazing.

I find gibson and fender USA made guitars utterly dreadful. Also the chinese follow quite closely to that. I may have just opened a whole can of worms there but still' date=' i find some geetars from usa great, like james trussarts but i like Korean,British and Japanese guitars the best, the sheer quality seems amazing.[/quote']

Interesting...I've never had that experience, I guess? What specifically, is "dreadful" about them,

aside from (possibly) the price? ;>)

And, by the way, I'm NOT being sarcastic or sensitive...I'd really like to hear why your think they're

"dreadful."

CB

I find them alot harder to play and un-comfy for some reason, i cant put my finger on why, i mean some of the really highend gibbos sound really good its just i dont like the attitude that tends to come with them too, they all tend to be huge jerks. I also hate strats because the're too common, it seems that everyone has them.

But thats just me, everyone else seems to think the're great =P

It seems the vast majority of people who are members of the epiphone electrics community are either actual or prospective owners of Chinese epiphones.

Unfortunately' date=' and I include myself here, we are all deluded in to thinking the products we own or seek to own are handsome, highly playable instruments that offer good value for money for our purposes.

Now hear ye:

[u']The 11th Commandment[/u]

If it pleaseth the two divine beings who grace this forum with their presence, hence forth let it be a sin to make any reference to the procurement, enjoyment, bangeth-for-shekel or modification of any Chinese made epiphone on this holy forum.

Sinners who breaketh this commandment shall be punsihed with an almighty fire of personal insults and they shall be held in public disgrace for their deluded state.

To clarifyeth: No reference to any epiphones in current production shall be made....oh....except for that USA made reissue.

Oh.....I forgot. They don't liketh that one either.

Tell you whateth, nobody post anything about any epiphone electric guitars from now on unless it's about an olde rust bucket.

Doubting Epiplayer

The converted disciple of the Holy Nelson and St. Marx Bros who siteth at his side

Stand by for the predictable insult directed at their disciple, probably with one word of Olde English at the end.

That's what I was talking about... Retalliation in kind! Great! (Can't get behind the religious aspect, personally, but I see where you are coming from, and appreciate the humor!) We should all be able to have fun with it in such a way... I applaud you, sir!

That's what I was talking about... Retalliation in kind! Great! (Can't get behind the religious aspect' date=' personally, but I see where you are coming from, and appreciate the humor!) We should all be able to have fun with it in such a way... I applaud you, sir! [/quote']

And you know what Generation.....it works! Both have largely stopped replying to my posts.

They like to dish out the public ridicule and personal insults but when they get it back they don't like it. Bullies are always the same. Like you, I've found all the recent retaliations entertaining....indeed, far more than I reckon they have.

At the end of the day, they got exactly what they deserved. If you play with fire you get burnt.

Now, nobody takes either of them seriously and everybody has seen them for what they are.

I'm sure when all this quietens down they'll be back to their old selves. If they do, I'm certain they'll get another hammering from everyone. However, if they can come back and give their opinions without being insulting, I'm equally sure the majority will welcome them.

Archived