Gibson Brands Forums

Love it or hate it?

Guitar Chico

Not my cup of tea really. But wouldn't say hate it...would like to have a new one to trade for something more to my liking. I'd love that just fine.

I don't like the necessity for a strap mostly, though the V body shape has never been an eye pleaser for me either. I can get past looks though for a good playing guitar, but to always have to strap in would be annoying for me.

Don't think there is any guitar out there I hate. If ya can pull music out them you can have fun with 'em. But I ain't much for those EMG pickups. I love the Vs though - just prefer them with '57 Classics or something. Maybe a nice red one like the V Tom Holmes made for Albert King.

Don't think there is any guitar out there I hate. If ya can pull music out them you can have fun with 'em. But I ain't much for those EMG pickups. I love the Vs though - just prefer them with '57 Classics or something. Maybe a nice red one like the V Tom Holmes made for Albert King.

Have you seen Prince's guitar?

vi-vomit.jpg

Yeah I'm no big emg fan either but I think that theyre okay and you can always switch pickups out.

GC

Yeah I'm no big emg fan either but I think that theyre okay and you can always switch pickups out. And as far as the sitting down thing' date=' I'll go with a quote from stan58 "Flying V's weren't meant to be played sitting down and neither was rock n' roll."

GC[/quote']

whoa... thats not what i meant to do...

But I ain't much for those EMG pickups. I love the Vs though -

I don't like the EMG's either.... you can install EMG's in 2 x 4 piece of wood and it will still sound just like any other guitar with EMG's.

IMO EMG's don't allow the guitar characteristics to shine through.

you can install EMG's in 2 x 4 piece of wood and it will still sound just like any other guitar with EMG's.

I think I've hear someone say that before... Well, I agree but I think they're okay, not really great but okay. And for pohatu, I wasn't interested in buying one.

GC

This sounds like Gibson is going after the shredder market that Ibanez, Jackson and such companies seem to own with guitars that sell for 1/3 the price. The reason I don't like this guitar is not that I don't like shredder guitars (I recently bought a guitar with a Floyd Rose), I don't like this because it erodes Gibson's good name of building classic guitars that will be well regarded 50 year from now. This release makes them sound desperate to me.

This sounds like Gibson is going after the shredder market that Ibanez' date=' Jackson and such companies seem to own with guitars that sell for 1/3 the price. The reason I don't like this guitar is not that I don't like shredder guitars (I recently bought a guitar with a Floyd Rose), I don't like this because it erodes Gibson's good name of building classic guitars that will be well regarded 50 year from now. This release makes them sound desperate to me.[/quote']

In some ways, I think, Gibson is a victim of their its own success. Whenever they try to build anything outside of their traditional or "classic" model line, they run into acceptance problems. Some of their efforts to succeed within this constraint have been kind of sad. One is this "shredder" V. What is it really? It's the mods a user might perform done in the factory for you. Another is their resurrection trend--new '62 guitars, etc. If the '62 specs were the best, why aren't they used in all the models? I just throw this out to illustrate that it's tough at the top.

What Gibson desperately needs is a modern-day Loar--someone with a truly original vision. Otherwise they will continue to spend time just reissuing and playing catchup with the cheaper lines.

Archived