Gibson Brands Forums

It's finally out of layaway... HNGD to me!!!!!

generation zero

Don't tell the wife... [-o<

Yes, I may actually get away with hiding a $2200 purchase from my new better half... between tax refunds and bonuses at work she didn't know about, I was barely able to sneak this one in the back door. Now I have to convince her it's another fake I bought for $300, LOL... Blasphemy, I know... but if she knew how much I really paid for it, either it or I would be for sale on Ebay right now, LOL.

Anyway, here she is... my brand new 2008 Gibson Les Paul Traditional in Iced Tea Burst. I already took the liberty of removing the ugly slab of cream plastic from the face of the guitar, and replaced the strap buttons with straplocks. Other than those few small mods, I think she will remain stock for the forseeable future. I'll try to get better daylight pics tomorrow, the flash makes it look a little darker than it really is... but the flame shows up beautifully. It really is just as vivid in person, which shocked me as most of the others on the wall didn't even come close. I lucked out on that, I'm sure...

66491047lk5.jpg

80974503ua6.jpg

92874530ho1.jpg

48261536hg2.jpg

Guest icantbuyafender

I'm diggin the iced T burst. good luck convincing someone that kinda quality was only 300 hah

cheers my friend, play her loud and proud

I'm diggin the iced T burst. good luck convincing someone that kinda quality was only 300 hah

cheers my friend' date=' play her loud and proud[/quote']

Luckily, she's not a player, and couldn't tell the difference between a Gibson and a Danelectro if they were labeled in neon, LOL... She already questions why I need more than two... She thinks I should keep the "green one with the dragon on it" (the fake Gibby) and "the one like it, but with just the plain wood color" (the Epi honeyburst plain top standard) and get rid of the rest, because they aren't "as pretty". I've convinced her that I use different tunings on all of them, and each one is needed for particular songs live. So, generally, I cart at least 4 or 5 of them to each gig, and leave all but two in their cases... unless we decide to put all of them on the rack at the side of the stage to make us look like big shots, LOL...

But you are right, the quality vs. the fake, and even the Epi, is quite obvious. I'm still not 100% convinced it was worth THAT much extra cash, but you only live once. Besides, I haven't even had a chance to plug it in yet... I'm sure as it grows on me, my affection for my fake will start to dwindle. Still I love each of my guitars for thier individuality, not thier price tag.

Thanks for the compliments! I'd stick around, but I think I'm going to put headphones on and try not to wake the wife while test driving the new addition to the family!

beavisnbutthead.gif

Congratulations on one fantastic guitar … and kudos to you for your impressive financial acumen (fancy talk for “How the F**K do you hide $2200 from the old lady?”).

MIDI

One of the main factors is a LOT of skipped lunches, coupled with bonus checks from work that I "forget" to mention... (Since she gets all of my "regular" checks anyway...) And the big helper was the fact that my old cabinetmaker partner was originally going to 1099 me on taxes, but he decided last minute not to claim me because his accountant didn't get the paperwork done in time. So, I was able to tell her that I only got $240 back, which is what she was expecting, when I actually got about $1100 back. That was a big chunk of it right there, LOL.

Of course, now that we're married, such deceptions must come to an end. I'll be letting her handle ALL the finances from now on, so any future purchases will have to be authorized. I'm pretty sure this will be the last HNGD for me for a LOOOOOOOONG time, LOL. At least I made the best of it! [-o<

Conrats man, shes a beauty for sure. Loving the flame on it! I got the 08 Standard in Iced Tea a few months back.

Might seem a silly question, but how do you like it? It took me a while to settle into mine. The bigger frets really threw me at first, but I am completely in love now...!

Really pleased for you.

I haven't had much play time with it yet, but so far I really like it. I took the pickup selector washer thing off, and had to put a metal washer on the switch (inside the cavity) because without the washer, the top was too thin to let the nut hold the switch in place. Aside from that, and the fact that they pre-install the damn pickguard instead of shipping it separate like with the standard, I have no complaints. I'm pretty sure those two little screw holes are going to bug me for the next 40 years though...

A selfish thing to do but isn't it important to look after number one first then the rest. All i can say is hats off to you in this economic turmoil to have enough money to get that guitar. Good luck to you.

Regards

Wrighty2012

Call it selfish if you want, I've worked months and months worth of 75 to 80 hour work weeks to be able to buy it. I have also done my fair share of contributing to our bills, so I am not neglecting any responsibilities in this purchase either. The only reason for being sneaky about it is that even though it was my money, made by me, before we were married, I know I would never be able to convince her that ANY guitar was worth this much money... I may eventually buy more guitars with her permission, but they will likely be Epis or equivalently priced guitars... I seriously doubt I will ever be allowed to spend this kind of money on a guitar now that I have WILLINGLY submitted control of all my finances to her. Forgive me if I wanted one last hurrah here at the end of my single life. I'm sure there were smarter ways to spend 2 grand right now, but I saw this opportunity and took it.

And while I may play games in hiding it from her, if she were to come out and ask where I got it, how much I paid for it, and where the money came from, I would tell her without hesitation. I just don't plan on walking into the living room with it and saying "hey honey, look what I just spent two month's pay on!" So, I would appreciate it if you would not be so judgemental. You sent me a pm a while back asking me to show respect for you in your threads, and since then I have, along with an apology... Please show me the same courtesy.

As for the pick guard, I don't like them on transparent finishes, because they obstruct the beauty of the wood beneath. I prefer a pickguard on solid color Les Pauls, like the ebony or goldtop finishes... it breaks the monotony of the solid color and gives the overall design depth and character. But on a woodgrain finish, I like to see as much of the beautiful wood as possible. Plenty of iconic players over the past 40 years or so have shared my opinion... And as for the holes, I will probably end up filling them with a matching wood touch-up stick... I was just saying that for this kind of investment, it would be nice if Gibson made it the buyer's choice to install the guard like they do on the Standard, so that those like myself who prefer the Traditional's features but do not want the guard installed wouldn't have to "deal with" two holes in an otherwise perfect instrument.

By the way $2200 Dollars is equivalent to £2200 at this very moment. My 15 year old cousin got the very same Guitar for Equivalent to $1300 in the UK through an authorized dealer.

Wrighty2012

That's good to know... Next time I'm passing through England on my way home from work, I'll pick up one in the rootbeer finish. Thanks for the heads up!

The original comment i posted stated that although people said it was selfish i said that you have to look after number one and that the purchase you made was a worthwhile one and that its always nice to treat yourself. I understand there was some confusion in my post so my sincerierest apologies generation zero the investment youve made is a very good one and a beautiful instrument aswell. So please enjoy the guitar you have. I too have played these and the neck is just amazing.

I understand what you are saying about the pickguard so why not raise this issue with Gibson USA and see if they can do something to aid this minor issue.

My aplogies for the confusion.

Regards

Wrighty2012

Wow GZ, they don't get much nicer than that. Now take it to the Iridium and have Lester sign it before it's too late.

PS: Just hide it in with all the others, she'll never notice. That's what I do. ;-)

PSS: You might consider editing your comments about the tax thing, the walls have ears....

:) very sexy guitar GZ my dad found a brand new '05 Standard in Root Beer back in '07 and this past weekend i think he might have given it to me.. lol OH back on topic his did not come with the PG installed on it.. and about the only thing i dont like about yours.. is the TRC if i remember you your self was talking about finding a " Standard " that my friend would be the only change i would do to that badass guitar

Archived