Gibson Brands Forums

Learnin' to Play

Applesauced

So I'm just starting to learn guitar and I want some recommendations. I've read around the forums for about 3 or 4 hours tonight and I am impressed by how helpful everybody here is. Anyways, I want to learn on an electric and I've always loved the style and sounds of the semi-hollows. I was thinking a Dot or Sheraton II. Would these be difficult to learn to play on, and if so why? I also was interested in putting a frequensator tailpiece on whatever I get, does that make learning more difficult as well or should I put it on there from the beginning to learn with it? Lots of questions I know, I'm just getting all excited thinking about buying everything that I've been looking at. Whatever help would be great.

Applesauced

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would get what you like to look at and what feels good. Most electrics will be easier to learn on than an acoustic since the strings are a lighter gauge. But you should get what you think feels good. All the Epiphone electrics will be great to learn on. you really cant go wrong. I had a Sheraton II at one point and I did like that guitar.

good luck and when you get your new guitar post some pic's for all to see.

You don't mention your prior experience with guitars - ever played? Been taught

anything? A guitar is an easy instrument to pick up, but difficult to master,

as many gentlemen & ladies on this forum will attest to.

You like the DOT style? Musician's Friend website has a "Value Pack"

Epiphone DOT STUDIO and 15W practice amp package for $418.00,

colors are black, white, worn cherry, sunburst. Has Alnico V humbuckers.

HOWEVER, $418.00 is

some serious coin to spend if you have ANY doubts about staying with

playing. There are also OTHER Epiphone value packs, SG, LP-100, etc.

that are less expensive $260.00 + that come with amp, too. Just get

what you can afford/save for. Get what you WANT, cuz if you don't, you'll

always have a nagging doubt. If you're not sure, don't spend. If you ARE

sure and you WANT a DOT, check out MF as I mentioned.

OR, if you already have an amp, or just would like to keep mo' moolah

in your own pocket, Musicians Friend - Dean Vendetta XM - $99.00!!!

Seriously. I have one as a "beater", of course had to do the usual set up

on it, but the damn thing actually plays!!! 2 open-coil humbuckers that really

sound GOOD for cheap! Holds tune WELL. Don't buy the black unless you

like the "flat black primer" look, (yecchhh) that's what I did. No, it's NOT

a DOT, but you can work on your chops on the cheap, buy DOT when feasible!

Jes' my ignant thoughts....

Good Luck, post back your decision!!!!

Dots are GREAT guitars to learn on. But don't bother with the Frequensator. The stop tailpiece that comes on the Dot is the key to its versatility--it can sound like a hollow(ish)body, or it can sound like a solidbody.

But for the beginner I would offer three tips -

1) Use light gauge strings--9's or 10's at the most (you friendly music store salesman will know what this means). This will save your fingers. (It's also a good tip for weekend warriors.) As you grow, you can move on to heavier strings if you like.

2) Get the guitar professionally set up. I can't emphasize this enough. This will keep you from getting discouraged and giving up early on. (But beware, so setup guys will try to talk you into heavier strings. Resist!)

3) If you take lessons (and even if you don't) choose an artist you really admire and try to imitate his/her playing style. You may not be very good at it, but its in the trying that you grow. This is important because many instructors will have you playing stuff that will bore you for the sake of growing your technique. DON'T FORGET TO HAVE FUN!

Good luck and happy guitar-ing. Cheers.

Epis are very nice guitars to begin with, and quite nice for those who ain't exactly beginners I might add!

The Dot is a cool guitar, I'm interested in one myself, I don't see how you can go wrong with that. I think having a guitar you really like will motivate you to pick it up more often, that's good and will encourage you to play and learn and practice.

There are "neck" considerations. Dots have beefier necks, Sheratons have slim necks (as well as a lot more "bling"...eye candy). Either will be fine, to learn on, and progress ad infinitum. It's what feels best, and visually appeals to you, the most, really. And, your "budget," of course. If you have normal or larger hands, you may find the Dot more comfortable, but even so, lots of folks with larger hands still prefer the Sheraton. Best thing to do, it play one (or more, if possible) of each! Besides, that's half the fun...the search.

Cheers,

CB

Applesauced,

Welcome to the forum.

If you haven't already, you might want to read some of this:

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=6022

SID, one of the members, was beginning guitar a few months back. She asked about "Common Beginner Mistakes".

As now, many of the members offered up good advice. Much of it may or may not pertain to you. In any case, there is a great deal of good suggestions, tips an overall good reading in the post. (about 6 pages)

Willy

Top 'o the day Apple. Best advice I could give you is to surround yourself with people who do play, and listen to the music you want to try to play, and PRACTICE!!!!! Even if it's some dumb song, learn it 'til you can play it in your sleep, and go from there, cuz it's all relative Bro. A notes a note, and a scales a scale, no matter what context it's in...if that makes any sense.

Practice, Practice, Practice and never get discouraged :D

Never be lazy when learning something, do not cut corners :D

Its good to learn abit of everything even if you do not appreciate it

A good player can play any style even if he/she does not particularly like it =D>

And most important, play like you mean it :D/

As BlueLesPaul indicated, electrics are easier to play because you often use lighter gauge strings. Also, scale length is a factor. Most Epiphone electrics are short scale (less than 25" string length), which means the strings require less tension. However, some of the full-sized electrics are not short scale, and most acoustics are 25" or greater. Finally, you tend not to strum or pluck quite as hard with an electric (just turn up the amp), so the action can be set lower.

As far as I know, all of the semi-hollow Epiphones (except the defunct Elitist Country model) are short scale, as are the Les Paul models and the SG models. So there's a lot to choose from. I like Sheratons because of the sleeker neck.

Regardless of whether you choose electric or acoustic (BTW, you can put light gauge strings on an acoustic)

it makes no sense to me to invest big bucks into your very first guitar, mainly because, as a beginner, one simply

doesn't know enough about guitars, amps, playing styles, etc. at the outset. I think it makes more sense to start

out on a budget, and while you're learning to play, learn about the myriad of equipment out there. Haunt music

stores and play everything you can get your hands on. Play your friends' guitars. Visit websites. etc. etc. Then,

after a while, you'll be in a much better place to make an informed decision.

This topic has come up several times, and I wanted to mention what I feel is one of the most important pieces of equiment for a new player: A GUITAR STAND!

A stand will ensure that your guitar is always ready and available. You will find yourself grabbing it for quick strum or two at all hours of the day ... and all of those short bursts of playing add up, my friend. If you keep it in a case under the bed or in the closet, then your practice times are going to me much more "formal" and, therefore, much easier to reschedule or put off until you have enough time to bother taking it out.

Believe me ... this is important during those first few "I got blisters on my fingers" weeks!

So get yourself an inexpensive stand or wall hanger a keep it handy (do not lean it up in a corner ... that's just a disaster waiting to happen)! Best of luck to you buddy!

Man lots of great stuff here thanks for all the recommendations. Sorry I've taken so long to respond to everybody I had class this morning. Ron G I wanted to buy a nicer guitar because I'm 21 and I wanted to get something that would last and I would be happy with ten or fifteen years from now. To answer a question early on, I never have taken lessons and do intend on taking formal lessons to at least pick up the basics. One more question from me, I listen to blues, garage rock and indie rock mostly, do the Dot and Sheraton both play these styles well? Wish me luck I'm going to Guitar Center later on today to get my hands on some stuff to really figure out what I like.

Oh I also forgot to ask' date=' whats the difference between the Dot and the Dot Studio. What makes the studio cheaper?[/quote']

Open-coil humbuckers, hot bridge pickup. Single volume/tone controls. Different

finishes. No fingerboard inlays. A bargain - I have one.

Applesauced asked:

Oh I also forgot to ask, whats the difference between the Dot and the Dot Studio. What makes the studio cheaper?

The Dot Studio has only a master volume and tone control instead of individual knobs for each pickup, so there's less wiring and components. They also have very little ornamentation and are made of cheaper woods. They do sound good and play well, though, so they are perfectly functional guitars for players who just want a good basic instrument on a budget.

sexygibson wrote:

LHC, Jr. wrote:

This has been my experience as well. Does anyone know why setup guys always recommend heavier strings?

I think that they do this because the set-up is easier to do with heavier string gauges.

Tone, tone, tone! Especially on hollow bodies, heavier strings produce a fuller, richer, more complex tone because they transfer more energy to the body. On guitars with floating bridges, the increased string tension also keeps the bridge position more stable. On my Gretsch, Broadway, Joe Pass and Sorrento (and some others), I use .011's, and the improvement in tone is dramatic. They are stiffer to play, though, and I'd agree with the other folks here who recommended using lighter strings when starting out.

Howdy fellow Texan, Applesauced.

I am always learning something new. But, when I was really starting I fell victim to GAS, when what I needed was to play, play, play, play.....oh and play some more. Whatever gear you have, play it as much as you can. In time you will develop the sound you wanna go for, and the answers will reveal.

We are all here to review gear, sound, tips, techinques, but remember real guitar playing is a fingertip away.........

Yall like the philosophical Figstrum???!!

The name "studio" attached to a guitar implies that maybe it's not quite attractive enough to play in public. So they have fewer attractive appointments like binding around the body, f-holes, and fingerboard. As I recall, the Dot Studio doesn't even have dots on the fingerboard.

These days, people don't seem to have an issue with playing a really ugly guitar in public, so now you have to pay MORE for a new guitar that looks like it has been to hell and back.

The name "studio" attached to a guitar implies that maybe it's not quite attractive enough to play in public. So they have fewer attractive appointments like binding around the body' date=' f-holes, and fingerboard. As I recall, the Dot Studio doesn't even have dots on the fingerboard.

These days, people don't seem to have an issue with playing a really ugly guitar in public, so now you have to pay MORE for a new guitar that looks like it has been to hell and back.[/quote']

Hey!!! Have I ever insulted your guitar???!!![-X

Don't be swayed by anyone, including us as to what kind of guitar for whatever kind of music. You can play what you like on just about ANYTHING, the end result will come from you. I've heard people play pretty kool Blues stuff on a frikkin' mandolin, so, again, any guitar will do any kind of music. You could give Duane Allman an LP100, and he'd still sound the same as he would with a '59 (Les Paul), if he were still alive. Be your own judge.

Archived