Gibson Brands Forums

Have I outgrown Epiphone?

JefferySmith

In the US' date=' the old fart car was a Rambler. They petered out in the 1970's when the old farts driving them all died out. But even today in the states, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord are invariably driven by people at high risk for poopie accidents.[/quote']

Hmmm, well...I guess I qualify, for that! I have a Honda Accord Coupe, and...it's the best car

I've ever owned!

CB

I think the young Epi folks around here are just fantastic. Me being an old guy can completely relate to where and what these young musicians are going through, because I was once there. And I certainly don't expect them to relate to where I'm currently at in my life.

I pray I never become one of those old bitter farts that resents youth.... Life's too short to be a bitter old man.

Hey Jeff ... wanna feel like a young man again?

Come spend some time with me over at The Gretsch Pages. There are some GENUINE GEEZERS over there!

As far as Epi's bid to cash in on the shredders matket, I wish them luck ... but they are really coming late to the party IMHO. Ibanez, Jackson, Dean, LTD, Washburn are all pretty dominant in that arena. I just don't know how the metal crowd is going to take to Epiphones. The Aparition and these Zakk things make the Prophecy guitars seem prett tame by comparison!

MIDI

Hey Jeff ... wanna feel like a young man again?

As far as Epi's bid to cash in on the shredders matket' date=' I wish them luck ... but they are really coming late to the party IMHO. Ibanez, Jackson, Dean, LTD, Washburn are all pretty dominant in that arena. I just don't know how the metal crowd is going to take to Epiphones. The Aparition and these Zakk things make the Prophecy guitars seem prett tame by comparison!

MIDI[/quote']

Totally agree, I think epi have missed the boat as far as DESIRABLE metal guitars go, they've started too late to overhaul the big players. I'm praying for an about turn, a focus back on vintage style instruments, a ramping up of the beatles/60s connection and an announcement that the Elitist Sheratons, Rivieras etc are all going back into production.

Ultimately, the company are trying to target a demographic with the least disposable income. One of these metal monstrosities might be cheap but you have to deliver a lot of newspapers to save up for one. These young players also have pre-conceptions about the Epiphone brand that are not going to be cancelled out by six months of heavy advertising. Their heroes don't play Epiphone, their heroes play Jackson and Ibanez et al, therefore they won't aspire to buy Epiphone.

Epiphone has a legendary reputation and a place in musical history that most brands would absoultely die to have access to - that kind of heritage is worth millions in itself. Surely the company has worked for years to climb this particular mountain and now they're throwing it all away to climb a new mountain that their competitors are already halway up.

Well I guess I didn't win the Willshire, as I didn't get an e-mail from Epi.

The new contest is this:

EpiContest0309.jpg

I don't know about you but I think:

1) That is one fugly guitar

2) Having a bulls-eye on a guitar in some clubs could be considered a challenge to the audience and a dangerous thing for the musician.

Notes

LOL ...... here (at least where I live) a LOT of drivers of (older) Hondas are young "ricers' date='" for lack of a better word. Bolt on a park bench wing, slap on a fart can, maybe try to fit an unpainted bodykit, and drive like a freakin' anal pore.....bless their hearts:-" [/quote']

It kills me how they put rear airfoils on a front wheel drive car. Keep that traction on the rear and lighten up on the front end... It's all eye candy. Don't drive that thing over 100, it'll float (grin).

I guess that guitar makers are trying to appeal to the younger crowd who are looking for good guitars at a lower price. After all, once you spend $5000 putting eye candy and tunes on a rice-burner you can't afford a Gibson Slash LP. You have to buy the Epi Slash model.

Smart marketing to me.

Totally agree' date=' I think epi have missed the boat as far as DESIRABLE metal guitars go, they've started too late to overhaul the big players. I'm praying for an about turn, a focus back on vintage style instruments, a ramping up of the beatles/60s connection and an announcement that the Elitist Sheratons, Rivieras etc are all going back into production.

Ultimately, the company are trying to target a demographic with the least disposable income. One of these metal monstrosities might be cheap but you have to deliver a lot of newspapers to save up for one. These young players also have pre-conceptions about the Epiphone brand that are not going to be cancelled out by six months of heavy advertising. Their heroes don't play Epiphone, their heroes play Jackson and Ibanez et al, therefore they won't aspire to buy Epiphone.

Epiphone has a legendary reputation and a place in musical history that most brands would absoultely die to have access to - that kind of heritage is worth millions in itself. Surely the company has worked for years to climb this particular mountain and now they're throwing it all away to climb a new mountain that their competitors are already halway up.

[/quote']

Don't forget the Wildkat/Alleykat types. This is a direction I think Epi would be wise to follow.

Meanwhile, that Genesis...ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Well I guess I didn't win the Willshire' date=' as I didn't get an e-mail from Epi.

The new contest is this:

[img']http://www.epiphone.com/images/EpiContest0309.jpg[/img]

I don't know about you but I think:

1) That is one fugly guitar

2) Having a bulls-eye on a guitar in some clubs could be considered a challenge to the audience and a dangerous thing for the musician.

Notes

Who died and made Epi BC Rich?

Hmmm' date=' well...I guess I qualify, for that! I have a Honda Accord Coupe, and...it's the best car

I've ever owned!

CB[/quote']

Well, here's where I reveal my advanced age...through the '60s I rode British bikes (BSA, Royal Enfield) then got into road racing and started out on a Bultaco, to be replaced by a sponsored Suzuki production bike and a self-built Honda GP bike.

Tell ya what, after riding Brits, that Honda was bullet-proof. It'd run up to 14K rpm and pull 130 mph on the front straight at Willow Springs...

...sigh...

...just because our youth is mostly past doesn't mean that we're to be buried under a pile of "happenin'" ads. I happily play in the Summer String Band [on Dobro] and the Baptist Blues Band [acoustic slide, harmonica, electric, sometimes bass] in the other seasons at church, blew the harp in a local state U production of Big River, recently had a long-term gig playing bass with a local honky tonk band, and I tell you what, I don't get out and play with guys who have skulls tattooed on their private parts, and I don't miss it.

We all see our mortality in the latest fad ads with grimacing tattooed teenagers and that's inevitable. But for my part, I look ahead, not behind.

And the reason I don't have a photo of myself as my avatar is so that I don't terrify the newbies.

I'm definitely a little older then their target marketing group at 39...but I'm open minded about other Epiphone gear. However-the models I want have been discontinued! So, that's a strike. Then the price increase...that's another strike...

I don't understand the logic of the push for metal either. They are a classic company-they should be focusing on that and make the shredder stuff a side line. I agree with all said-their competition in that field is too well entrenched. Epiphone should be focusing on their elitists again and try to give Heritage a run for it's money. I think I've read other posters make the same case.

I'm pretty much into it for the semi hollows and full hollowbodies. If I never have another from Epi-ok...I have 2 that I love now...I am open minded about it though...depends on Epi....I've had total satisfaction w/ my Epi BC 30 combo amp too-so amps are another place Epi can still try to hook me. I would have bought a Valve Senior for sure a year ago...when they were supposed to be out.

As far as Epi's bid to cash in on the shredders matket' date=' I wish them luck ... but they are really coming late to the party IMHO. Ibanez, Jackson, Dean, LTD, Washburn are all pretty dominant in that arena. I just don't know how the metal crowd is going to take to Epiphones. The Aparition and these Zakk things make the Prophecy guitars seem prett tame by comparison!

MIDI[/quote']

Also too, the Epi name is unique in the marketing of guitars as Gibson seems to deliberately differentiate it from the Gibson brand whereas it doesn't matter what level Ibanez, Jackson, Dean, LTD, Washburn (or Fender Squier) guitar you buy, you have Ibanez, Jackson, Dean, LTD, Washburn, Fender on the headstock.

Have you outgrown Epiphone, Jeffrey? Yeah...I think as soon as the "Elitist" line disappeared, you outgrew Epi's.

Don't you?! The P-93LE was just that, a limited edition...and a great one, IMHO! But, from what I've seen of your

collection, or at least the guitars you seem to gravitate toward (Eastmans, etc.)...I'd say those, Gibson, maybe PRS

are more you style, these days. But, maybe that's just my impression?

I feel like I have the "Epi's" I want, and certainly more than I need, now. UNLESS, they reintroduce the "Elitist" or something AS good, or better. Then...we'll see.

CB

(snip)

I feel like I have the "Epi's" I want' date=' and certainly more than I need, now. UNLESS, they reintroduce the "Elitist" or something AS good, or better. Then...we'll see.

CB[/quote']

That is pretty much where I am. I gassed for an Elitist SG, and the Japanese model showed up. I gassed for an Elitist Sheraton and popped for one when I heard that they were going the way of the dodo bird. I had gassed for a Zephyr with 3 P90s, and the Riviera showed up. I sort of ran out of GAS. Then my retirement monies tanked by 80%, so it is time to gas for guitar picks.

To be frank, you havent outgrown anything, i mean i like jazz, the old stuff back in the 50s, so have i outgrown epi's? no, and im 17.

Epi's are my favorites because epiphone owners are not selfish, they dont take the piss out of people with certain types of gear, and most are not stuck up their own asses.

so yeah, ive outgrown gibsons and fenders.

however the modern music scene sucks. It really does. its all about the money it seems nowadays and being able to play the easiest chords and sing with the worst voices.

on the metal side it seems that whoever has the most "BR00TAL" screamo voice and most outrageously coloured hair with the biggest fringe seems to be the "Best" about.

im staying clear of these and being my own person and making music in a band with people who feel that music should appeal to peoples emotions and make them feel something inside.

To some it all up, you've not outgrown anything, you just have a better taste in music then most people.

Archived