Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars you never expected to be your favorite, but now they are.

duane v

My Gretsch 5120 and Samick Artist Series SAT-650 both get a lot more playing time than I expected either to get, and I like 'em both more the more I play 'em.

G5120.jpg

SamickSAT650.jpg

But my Broadway and Joe Pass ain't goin' nowhere either!

For me it's my no name, half sized, fret worn, cat gnawed on, left out in the rain, head stock broken, glued back together, POS guitar I tried to give to my son when he was 5 years old so he would leave my stuff alone.

POS1.jpg

Just kidding. Though it does have a nice sound to it.

It's got to be my Dot. I bought it while in a nostalgic mood, but it quickly became my everyday player.

That's a tough one because my tastes haven't changed much. But the underdog that made it up high is the Byrdland. When I was a teenager, that was a old fart guitar to me. Now it fits my aged body and ears and hands. What a beautiful and easy to play instrument.

My 2004 Unsung Epiphone Les Paul. I bought it to resurrect my playing after a few years off. I expected it be adequate(for a cheap LP-clone), but it's brilliant. Bought a couple guitars after that, including 2 Gibsons but keep going back to the Epi...

Besides the Blue one, I've taken a shining to the Stratocaster (Squier Standard HSS) I grabbed recently. Just something about that guitar...weird when you consider I was never much of a strat guy.

My 2004 Unsung Epiphone Les Paul. I bought it to resurrect my playing after a few years off. I expected it be adequate(for a cheap LP-clone)' date=' but it's brilliant. Bought a couple guitars after that, including 2 Gibsons but keep going back to the Epi...[/quote']

In my world, the Samick and Unsung are the best of the recent non-Elitist Epiphones. If this Chinese thing doesn't work out, I'd be happy to see Epiphone make up with the Korean Unsung factory.

ALL my guitars are "favorites!" BUT...one that kind of surprised me' date=' was my 2001 Gibson LP "Junior Lite!"

I really have taken to it, more than I originally envisioned I would.

[img']http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/charliebrown1949/DSC_0016-2.jpg[/img]

DSC_0015-1.jpg

CB

JEEZ CB, would you please quit posting pictures of kick-*** guitars....... I gotta buy my daughter a new amp8-[

Bought the TV Yellow version' date=' about 3 1/2 years ago, when they were only about $425!

Changed the pickguard, for a multi-layered one, the TRC to a '59, and the tuners to Grover's.

The tuner change wasn't really needed, but I'm glad I did for several reasons. I like the added

weight/mass at the headstock, as it tends to add to the sustain, seemingly anyway. And, of course,

Grovers are great tuners..and they look nice, too.

[img']http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq333/charliebrown1949/DSC_0027.jpg[/img]

DSC_0028.jpg

CB

+1 for the Gretsch 5120. It's an amazingly versatile instrument both plugged asnd unplugged. So far I haven't changed anything but the pickguard (they've since stopped shipping it with that clear thing), but drop a couple of hundred for new pick-ups and a new bridge, and you have a guitar equal to one of Gretsch's pro lines. It has a great vibe to it and it looks "good" on me as I am a big guy!

HalloweenGretsch.jpg

The other would have to be my Fender '72 Thinline RI. This is one of the nicest playing/sounding guitars I have ever held in my hands. It has tele 'twang", but with a mellow jazzy-ness that you just don't expect from a Fender.

SANY0011.jpg

MIDI

My Squier 51.. I dropped a GFS Crunchy Rails in the bridge to coil tap and a Lil Killer in the neck. It's got great warm jazzy tone on the neck and arse whooping bite on the bridge in SC or HB mode. I bought it to mess around with, and now my Epi sits alone a little more...

For me it would have to be the Elitist SG. I was never an SG fan but picked up the Elitist when MF was blowing them out. Right away I took to its light weight and upper fret access. I'll always be a Les Paul guy but the Elitist made me a believer in SGs.

For me it would have to be my Am. Deluxe ash Tele. Never thought about a tele, I was always a Les Paul guy until a little voice in my head told me over and over to get a Tele. I dont play much else these days and I got it before the price increase, I'm glad I took the plunge when I did.

Archived