Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson LP's and SG's ... WITH MAPLE NECKS!!!

midiman56

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had my local store check with Gibson for details... all finishes will be available with gold or chrome hardware, and the suggested "street price" is right around $1150... my local guys are going to price the LPs at $999, and they have already ordered one in the blue/platinum burst finish. They expect to start shipping them by the end of this month... when they come in, I'm going to go check it out. The chambering in the body has me on the fence, but maple is heavier than mahogany, so it may balance out. If I can get one in natural with a gloss finish and chrome hardware, I will be in heaven, LOL. If not, the blue/platinum would be my second choice, that's pretty sexy too, in a first-run Robot kinda way.

It looks to me that the SG model's neck is all maple:

"And for the first time the SG is available with a three-piece solid maple neck, topped with a maple fingerboard."

The LP is mahogany with a maple fretboard:

"Their solid mahogany necks are topped with unbound maple fretboards, which are dressed with simple dot position markers, and graced with a traditional trapezoid marker at the 12th fret."

But you're right ... the descriptions a somewhat confusing ...

Jim

I am genuinely excited by these new offerings from Gibson, and can't wait to try one out! I'm a sucker for SGs, and if I can pick up one of those for less than $1K, I'd think I'd be very happy.

This idea of very plain finished guitars has worked very well for other companies:

ric_650d.jpg

I always wanted one of these, but unfortunately Ric gave them necks like half-sawn tree-trunks, and I have small hands...sad-smiley-390.gif

I hope Gibson do a good job with these new guitars...

ok if Gibson is going to make a stripped-down cheaper guitar for average joes' date=' LETS ACTUALLY MAKE IT CHEAP! i mean come on gibson why would anyone pay more than $1000 for a guitar when you can [b']get a decent one with good features for $500-$750?[/[/b]quote]

Actually, Only $329.00 and $100.00 of Upgrades!!!! (Seeing this STILL FREAKS me out!) Other

than fretboard inlays, and OBVIOUS headstock difference, It's hard to tell. I know I LOVE the way

my Studio sounds and plays....

1. "REAL" GIBSON Les Paul Mahogany Studio:

GibsonVintageMahoganyLP01.jpg

2. My EPIPHONE Les Paul Worn Brown Mahog Studio:

100_0206.jpg

3. "REAL" GIBSON Les Paul Mahogany Studio:

GibsonVintageMahoganyLP02.jpg

4. My EPIPHONE Les Paul Worn Brown Mahog Studio:

100_0205.jpg

I'm using EPI pickups from a G-400 (thanks, Gen Zero) and Gibson Deluxe Tulip tuners.

The resemblance is.... Duhhhh. Maybe Ebay some Burstbuckers later, but the point is

that you CAN get a DECENT git without paying thru the WaZooooooo......

Not exactly a new idea. I remember a guy showing up to audition for a band I played with back in '82-'83 and the ONLY thing I remember about him was his all maple Les Paul Custom (looked very much like the one wiggy posted, except his had a bound maple fingerboard). And no, he didn't get the gig.

BTW: did the old "The Paul" model from the late '70 - mid '80's become the Studio?

It looks to me that the SG model's neck is all maple:

"And for the first time the SG is available with a three-piece solid maple neck' date=' topped with a maple fingerboard."[/b']

The LP is mahogany with a maple fretboard:

"Their solid mahogany necks are topped with unbound maple fretboards, which are dressed with simple dot position markers, and graced with a traditional trapezoid marker at the 12th fret."

But you're right ... the descriptions a somewhat confusing ...

Jim

My bad, I assumed both were the same... I had only looked at the LP model's specs. Not a big SG fan, so I was distracted by the LP awesomeness, LOL!

Guest icantbuyafender

Its like the gibson guys actually asked guitar players and us loyal buyers what we really wanted....=D>

im literally just now only barely able to control my drooling .... gotta hide the credit card....

oh man... seriously... I thought the bfg was as close as theyd get ....

all the unfinished no frills attitude and big thrills to offer.

this here... these guitars are works of art and im so relieved that gibson put these out to recover from the mistake they made with the robot guitars and the darkfire nonsense.

8-[

I don't know. The black head on that sticks out like a sore thumb. If you're going to make it all maple' date=' keep it all natural.[/quote']

I see what you're saying.....

But in this case the neck is mahogany, so the headstock would have a brown hue to it, plus the wood grain on mahogany differs from maple, so I can see why Gibson went with their traditional black headstock.

I think you can balance it out by replacing the translucent pickguard with a solid black pickguard..

I see what you're saying.....

But in this case the neck is mahogany' date=' so the headstock would have a brown hue to it, plus the wood grain on mahogany differs from maple, so I can see why Gibson went with their traditional black headstock.

I think you can balance it out by replacing the translucent pickguard with a solid black pickguard..[/quote']

I agree.

The LP looks great but with all that maple should be pretty heavy even with the chambering although I didn't see chambering mentioned in the specs. Maybe the mahogany neck is a way to lighten it up a little.

I like the SG too but not crazy about the transparent pickguard. Also there is mention of a 24 fret neck on the SG ("Both guitars feature glued-in necks and are built to Gibson’s traditional 24 3/4" scale length, with a neck width of 1 11/16" at the nut, although the SG Raw Power carries 24 frets to the Les Paul Studio Raw Power’s 22") but the specs indicate 22

LPSRPNSCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

=P~

The more I look at it the more I keep wondering if Gibson would supply it unfinished so that you could give it an oil finish yourself - needs mellowing a bit for my tastes.

Guest alanhindle

They are certainly nice to look at with those maple fretboards. I like all the colour options: the white, gold or natural SG, in particular, for me. However, three points are putting me off a bit:

1. The finishes are 'satin' so, like the new version of the LP junior, they are effectively the same (nitro-wise) as a faded LP Studio or SG special faded except that there are more 'base colour' options. I wonder what they will look like 'in the flesh'.

2. I'm not an expert on woods but isn't the major arguement for buying a solid body Gibson/Epi over a Fen**r the resonant warm/fat tone afforded by the mahogany body/neck combination?

3. As has been suggested above they seem a bit overpriced. Comparing the website prices:

SG Special Faded ($1,164) vs SG Raw power ($1,664)

or

LP Studio faded ($1,379) vs LP Studio full nitro black ($1,799) vs LP Raw Power ($1,858)

Cheaper to buy a faded, upgrade the pickups (should you desire) and be left over with some equally decent pickups to put in to something else.

They are nice guitars and the colour options are good but I think they're pitching them in too high for what they are.

What would float my boat is if they brought back the 'unchambered' LP studio with the range of 'full nitro' colour options (i.e. fireburst, white and wine red). It's the only way I'd be tempted to trade in my Epiphone LP Standard Plus for any Gibson LP. I tried the chambered Gibson LP Studio and, unplugged, it just didn't have what my Epi has.

Sorry, just my twopennorth (we have that phrase too- just the currency difference). I don't mean to be negative. I do agree that they are nice lookers!

Alan

Archived