Gibson Brands Forums

Any Favorite "WARM-UP" songs? (at home or with group)

animalfarm

There's a program on my Zoom (MRS8), that sounds remarkably like the bassline to "Do You Feel Like We Do", and I'll jam to that to nimble up, as it were. That, or the program for my "Long Time" tune, or perhaps "Fleabag"...ah hell, whatever the damn thing happens to on at the time!

As goofy as it sounds (and is), one of our warm up songs and also our break song was an improvised version of the "Looney Tunes" theme. :P Other than that it was usually one or two songs from whatever we had been practicing for that particular set. Seems like we played "Satisfaction", and later our own sort of "metalized" version (substituting distorted guitar for the keyboards parts) of Devo's "Whip It" quite often just to get loose as well, as I recall.

-I have the dreaded disease, A.D.O.S. Attention Deficit, Ooh Shiny syndrome. So I bounce between a couple tunes that I usually end up warming up with. I'll start of with Riviera Paradise by SRV, and end up jumping into parts of Wherever I May Roam by Metallica. And lately I've thrown a little bit of Parasite by KISS into the mix.

L8R,

Matt

And lately I've thrown a little bit of Parasite by KISS into the mix.

L8R' date='

Matt[/quote']

Oh, man. I remember when I first started playing, there were many nights I would play that song along with the record in my bedroom 'til my fingers were raw. I was a ridiculous Ace Frehley disciple there for a couple of years.

-Same here, man. Same here. KISS and Ace were the whole reason I ever picked up a guitar. Just think. When my Grandma bought me my first KISS record back in '74 for my birthday, she didn't have a clue the effects it would have on me! I don't listen to them very much anymore, but Alive and Alive II are still killer albums to listen to.

L8R,

Matt

Same here, my first album i got was a KISS album. I got the chance to see them live this summer and they still rock . Even if Ace and Peter are not there anymore , it was just like returning in the 70's. I was just 10 feet from the stage, i even cacht Paul stanley's pick . I didn't play with it, this way i know that the last one who played with it is him.

-Same here' date=' man. Same here. KISS and Ace were the whole reason I ever picked up a guitar. Just think. When my Grandma bought me my first KISS record back in '74 for my birthday, she didn't have a clue the effects it would have on me! I don't listen to them very much anymore, but Alive and Alive II are still killer albums to listen to.

L8R,

Matt[/quote']

Don't mean to drag this off topic, but we must be from about the same generation. My mom bought me "Toys in the Attic" and "Alive!" for Xmas '75, and I was done from that day on, just blown away. Up 'til then most of my musical exposure came from my older sis who was still into the mid-late '60s stuff (Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds, etc), and not to say it didn't have an impression on me, but just like you if it wasn't for Ace I'd probably never given playing guitar a second thought. I've always had a CD copy of that album since they re-issued it (most of my vinyl got left behind went I left home - long story), but I picked up an almost pristine copy of "Alive!" at an old record store in Kingman, AZ while visiting grandkids a few years ago and just about worn the grooves out of it by now. Still in love with that album after all these years. :) My youngest use to roll his eyes at that kind of music, but now that he's playing he's grown to appreciate it as much as I do.

I got the chance to see them live this summer and they still rock . Even if Ace and Peter are not there anymore ' date=' it was just like returning in the 70's.[/quote']

I know exactly what you mean, man. I caught them on the Love Gun and Dynasty tours, and then again almost 20 years from the first time I saw them in 1996 on the reunion tour at Arco Arena. I felt like I had stumbled into a time machine. It was kind of strange, because the audience was this 50/50 mix of teenagers and fat, middle aged, balding guys. Same vibe as when I saw Van Halen in December '07 in Portland. That place just freaking exploded when DLR appeared on top of the stage waving a huge flag with the VH logo, and that was a little over 26 years since I had last seen them on the Fair Warning tour too. Swore I'd never go to one of their concerts 'til DLR came back, and I didn't. Kind of a long wait, but still cool getting to relive a little bit of your youth for a couple of hours.

Lately, I've been warming up with some old Only Ones stuff .... Another Girl, another Planet, The Big sleep, Someone Who Cares, The Whole Of The Law, maybe some random Ramones or Queen ... whatever .... whatever pops into my head, I have no set "warm-up list".

Not to further the tangent that's started here' date=' I actually went and saw KISS earlier this week. I know there's only Gene and Paul, but they actually weren't as bad as I thought they'd be at this point. Really entertaining show.[/quote']

I felt the same way when I saw them in '96. I was set to be disappointed, but it was just the opposite. Gene and Paul go to great lengths to keep themselves in shape and stay sharp.

Duane V...........I KNEW we were "kindred spirits"............

My "warm up" routine is..........

Back in Black/Let me put my love into you(AC/DC)/Cold Gin(KISS) ..........to check tuning

Hey Baby(Nugent)/LaGrange(ZZ Top)/Rocky Mountain Way(Eagles)........to check overall tone & flex my fingers

Don't mean to drag this off topic' date=' but we must be from about the same generation. My mom bought me "Toys in the Attic" and "Alive!" for Xmas '75, and I was done from that day on, just blown away.[/quote']

-I'm "only" 43. But before my parents were married, my Dad dee-jayed local dances and had a nice collection of 45s. He'd play them for me all the time. When my Grandma got my that KISS record for my birthday, I was 8. She thought it was a kid's record because she thought the cover looked like a comic book.

L8R,

Matt

"Blitzkrieg Bop" - If I can keep up with Johnny Ramone, my old fingers are READY!

FWIW, there is a live vid version on youtube recorded in London one new years eve that I use - about 50% faster than the studio version.

mark

...I saw them in 1996 on the reunion tour at Arco Arena.

I was at that same concert.

I was a huge Kiss fan in Jr. High School '74-'76, but never got to see them. So that was my first time. And I thought it was great!

It's a small world after all.

I was at that same concert.

I was a huge Kiss fan in Jr. High School '74-'76' date=' but never got to see them. So that was my first time. And I thought it was great![/quote']

Get out! That was awesome, right? Original line up and everything. That's what made it even cooler.

It's a small world after all.

You ain't kiddin'' date=' man. From you're location, looks like you had a much shorter trip to get to that show than I did, drove 6 hours.

Hey Baby(Nugent)/LaGrange(ZZ Top)/Rocky Mountain Way(Eagles)........to check overall tone & flex my fingers

I remember playing a couple of those songs at one or more points in my life, and I agree, pretty good stretching tunes.

Get out! That was awesome' date=' right? Original line up and everything. That's what made it even cooler.

You ain't kiddin', man. From you're location, looks like you had a much shorter trip to get to that show than I did, drove 6 hours.[/quote']

The fact it was the original line up was THE only reason I went. I thought I had missed the opportunity to ever see them all together again.

I remeber Gene rising up (with the aid of wires of course) off the stage and flying onto his own mini-stage about 50 ft. above as he played and sang God of Thunder.

I'll never forget that concert.

And yeah, I live in Sacramento. It took be about 15 minutes to get to Arco Arena. But I probaby would have drove the 6 hours like you if I had to.

Im a big kiss and AC DC fan and got to see them 3 weeks appart this last summer. For KISS it was my second time,

i did see them at there CRAZY NIGHT TOUR back in 87 at the maple leaf garden in Toronto. Today i just bought

there brand new cd and it has a dvd with 6 songs live from the Alive 35 tour. I just finished wachting it and

it's real good. To be as close as i was, it just a dream come true.

Sorry for the poor quality of the first two,but it was taken with my cell phone. The third pics was taken from the kiss website the day after the show at Halifax N.S.

675A0157.jpg

675A0153.jpg

kissshow1.jpg

Archived