Gibson Brands Forums

E-bay Elitist Sheraton for $22,250.00??????????

charlie brown

I hope that's a "Typo??! LOL! Or this seller, is on some serious

"Drugs!" ;>)

CB

Item #180438471788

Buy It Now Price: $22,250.00

EPIPHONE 2006 ELITIST SHERATON MINI HUMBUCKER SEMI-HOLLOW MINT CONDITION

THIS GUITAR WAS BOUGHT A GIFT AND PUT AWAY AND IN HAS ONE HOUR OF GUITAR PLAY ON IT .

AS CLOSE TO NEW NOT EVEN SHOW ROOM BUT NEW NEW

The Epiphone Sheraton Elitist has 5-ply maple back and sides and top .

One piece mahogany neck 24-3/4 inch scale

Neck is set at the 19th fret

Rose wood fretboard 1 11/16 inch bone nut . 22 frets

60 NYR USA New York Mini Humbucker rhythm pick up

69HYR USA New York Mini Humbucker treble pickup

2 volume 2 tone 3-way toggle

Grover Imperial tuners

24k gold-plated hardware

Beautiful Pearl hand applied inlay .

In the Epiphone Sheraton Elitist Electric Guitar , Epiphone has beautifully reproduced one of the most elegant archtop guitars of all time , and a GREAT jazz classic .

Elitist series guitars approach CUSTOM SHOP PERFECTION. A special factory was devoted to the manufacture of Epiphone Elitist Guitars where they received a HIGH-DEGREE of hands on luthier attention.Elitist guitars are crafted with premium woods , fitted with American pick-ups and circuitry - even American-made toggle switches and Grover tuners. New York mini Humbuckers give this Sheraton crisp, sizzling sound, even in lower tones . Epiphone includes a hard shell case with Elitist Sheraton Guitar .

Gibson/Epiphone DOES-NOT MAKE THIS MODEL GUITAR ANYMORE !!

This guitar has been played under an hour in it's life . It is a 2006 model and a true classic guitar to cherish and own.

If you are interested in a piece of Epiphone history it will be HARD TO FIND A SHERATON like this is such EXCELLENT virtually UNPLAYED condition.

I can guarantee that. Hhere is a review by Mark Starlin

Epiphone Elitist Sheraton

Review by Mark Starlin

Epiphone was one of the first guitar builders to embrace the emerging jazz scene with a full line of hollowbody f-hole guitars in the 1930’s. They continued to refine their jazz guitars throughout the decade thanks to fierce competition from rival Gibson. Many top jazz players of the day made Epiphone their first choice. In 1957 Gibson purchased Epiphone, and in 1958 introduced a new breed of semi-hollowbody guitars. The semi-hollowbody design allowed players to play at louder volumes without the feedback that plagued hollowbody instruments. The Sheraton was the first semi-hollowbody offering from Epiphone and was well regarded.

While the Sheraton’s popularity was eventually eclipsed by the similar Gibson ES-335 introduced the same year, it still won praises from many popular players in both jazz and blues circles. The Sheraton was discontinued in 1970 and later revived in the late 1980’s as an import model. In 1994 the Sheraton II was released as a less expensive model geared for the masses. The Elitist line of guitars was introduced in 2003, designed to find a niche between the inexpensive mass-market models and the more expensive Gibson offerings. The revived Sheraton is one the Elitist line’s offerings.

The Elitist Sheraton

Semi-hollowbody guitars are common nowadays and the familiar body design of the Sheraton has become a classic, as popular now as ever. However, Epiphone has taken the Sheraton to a new level of style and quality with the Elitist version. This striking instrument is every bit a professional musician’s guitar. It comes with a deluxe hardshell case.

Quite Jazzy

While semi-hollowbodies are popular in blues and rock, the Sheraton seems designed with the jazz musician in mind. From its gold hardware and cream binding to its Abalone and Mother-of-pearl inlays to its mini humbuckers and Grover Imperial tuners, the Elitist Sheraton oozes elegance. The model I received for review has a natural finish. It also comes in a vintage sunburst finish. The only design detail I would change is the large Epiphone “E” logo stuck on the otherwise attractive marbled pickguard. Of course this purely a matter of opinion, but I think it slightly “cheapens” the appearance of the guitar.

Construction

The top, sides, and back are 5-ply Maple with striped cream binding. The neck is a one piece Mahogany neck with a Rosewood fretboard. The combination of the light, natural Maple top and dark Mahogany neck creates an unexpected “chocolate and vanilla” vibe that I wasn’t sure I liked at first but have grown to appreciate it. The historical “V-Block” neck inlays are rectangles with triangles intersecting them, and the headstock has the classic 1935 Epiphone “vine” inlay. The back of the neck has a tasteful red Epiphone Elitist logo where the headstock meets the neck. The bound neck has 22 medium size frets that are bit flatter than usual, which makes for a very fast neck. All the fretwork was smooth with no rough edges or dead spots anywhere on the neck. It has a bone nut.

The historic 1935 V-Block inlays.

All the hardware is gold plated. The tone and volume knobs are gold colored plastic with metal pointers. They are very smooth with a healthy amount of tension when you turn them. If you want to do fast, pinky volume-swells with the volume knob, you may be disappointed, but you won’t be accidentally turning your volume off when you play.

Surprising, with the otherwise flawless construction, there was excess glue, visible through the f-soundhole, along one quarter of the center block inside the guitar.

Playability

Being a semi-hollowbody, the Elitist Sheraton is reasonably light, well balanced, and comfortable to play whether sitting or standing. The action came set low and fast, still there were no string buzzes to be found. The somewhat flatter than usual frets made moving up and down the neck a breeze. It also made slides, a common jazz technique, effortless.

Tone

Acoustically, the Sheraton is not as loud as a hollowbody jazz box, but it is loud enough to practice with in a quiet room. The center block of Maple gives it plenty of sustain, allowing notes and chords to ring out nicely. Plugged-in, the USA NY mini humbuckers are clean and articulate allowing you to go from smooth, warm jazz tones with the neck pickup to biting blues tones with the bridge pickup. In fact the bridge pickup proved to be quite versatile. Even with a considerable amount of amp gain, notes and chords remained fairly well defined — quite a feat for a semi-hollowbody. Of course, with just a hint of overdrive, Beatles-like tones were easy to achieve.

While the Sheraton is not quite as fat sounding as a full size hollowbody jazz guitar, it is much fatter sounding than a solidbody and more than up to the task as a jazz box. I had no problem coaxing jazz-worthy tones from it, even with its fairly light gauge round-wound strings.

A deluxe hardshell case is included.

In Use

At home, I played the Sheraton through both of my tube amps (Mesa/Boogie Mark II, Traynor YCV20) and a PODxt with equally good results. But the real test was a two-week gig I had playing jazz arrangements of Christmas songs and originals. The group consisted of piano, bass, drums, flugelhorn/trumpet, and me on guitar. I alternated playing rhythm and lead parts along with unison parts with the flugelhorn and piano. Since it was part of a large production, we were playing on a side stage, mainly using amps. Only the piano and horns were miked and sent through the PA. The room was a large church auditorium that is usually set up with 1400 chairs, so I needed a fair amount of volume to cover the room. I was originally going to use a hollowbody jazz guitar, but feedback became a problem at the required volume. Thanks to the semi-hollowbody design of the Sheraton, though, I was able to reach the desired volume without the unwanted feedback. The Sheraton handled the gigs with ease and was a joy to play. I received many compliments on its sound and looks.

Final Thoughts

Epiphone pulled out all the stops with the Elitist Sheraton. It is a beautiful looking guitar that plays like butter. While I tested it mainly as a jazz box, it is an organic sounding axe that could probably find a home in most types of popular music — shy of metal or shred. If you are in the market for a quality semi-hollowbody, you owe it to yourself to try an Elitist Sheraton. You may be pleasantly surprised.

;>b

Hey CB, when I click on the link I get this:

This page may have moved or is no longer available. Please try one of the following:

Check the Web address you entered to make sure if it's correct.

Try to access the page directly from the eBay Home page instead of using a bookmark. If the page has moved, reset your bookmark.

Enter keywords in the Search box and click the Search button. Or, browse through the many categories available at eBay.

If you are searching for a Help

http://cgi.ebay.com/EPIPHONE-2006-ELITIST-SHERATON-VS-MINI-HUMBUCKER-MINT_W0QQitemZ180438471788QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2a02f8946c

Brad' date=' try this link.

Same here, but I've been watching this one. Thought there was something I didn't know and didn't mention here.

Sheila[/quote']

Thanks, Sheila! I...too often, have trouble with this type of thing? ;>b

At THAT price, my "Pristine" AIUSA version must be worth a "Bloody Fortune?!" LOL! (NOT!)

CB

http://cgi.ebay.com/EPIPHONE-2006-ELITIST-SHERATON-VS-MINI-HUMBUCKER-MINT_W0QQitemZ180438471788QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2a02f8946c

Brad' date=' try this link.

Same here, but I've been watching this one. Thought there was something I didn't know and didn't mention here.

Sheila[/quote']

Thanks Sheila! That worked!

And if anybody pays that much for that they are insane.

Or maybe the guy who is selling it is. :-#

Hmm will it sell for that amount? If it does I will be very happy and so should the rest of my Elitist Comrades! Perhaps the Elitists will turn out to be good investment pieces. I doubt it though. lol I paid 1199 for my brand new first quality Elitist Sheraton so..........

Try this: Think about every guitar ad from China. The english isn't very good, is it?

Now

Go back and read that ad. It is the same style english that you read on ad's from china!

here is what he said:

THIS GUITAR WAS BOUGHT A GIFT AND PUT AWAY AND IN HAS ONE HOUR OF GUITAR PLAY ON IT .

AS CLOSE TO NEW NOT EVEN SHOW ROOM BUT NEW NEW

"

If he bought it as a gift, why didn't he give it to someone?

In 2006, this guitar sold for $ 1,100.00 > $ 1,400.00.

Look at the pictures closely, does it look strange to anyone else?

I have noticed a steep increase in the value of these guitars recently, but not like this.

Archived