Gibson Brands Forums

I FOUND IT. Now help me convince my wife

mbrooks0711

Okay folks, I need your help with this one. The stars have aligned today to form the perfect storm for me. Long story short, here it goes.

1. I sell a drum set today. +$250

2. My wife still hasn't bought my anniversary present and wants to spend about $50.

3. I check the town where we are going this weekend for our mini anniversary vacation and find a 2001 Unsung Korea Epi LP Standard Plus top in honeyburst with case for $300.

But I need your help. Please post responses telling my wife that the older Korean LP's are highly sought after, well worth the money, and a steal for $300 with a case. Thank you all.

Okay' date=' mbrooks0711's wife; the older Korean LP's are highly sought after, well worth the money, and a steal for $300 with a case. Thank you all.[/quote']

[biggrin]

Dear Mrs. Brooks

Your Husband really really needs this git.

He has an LP Standard, but not with a plus top, and another in pieces, so this Honeyburst with case included, will provide some harmony and waves of contentment for your man.

And Happy Anniversary!

Dear Mrs. Brooks:

It has come to my attention that your beloved "M" has come across a rare and highly sought after instrument. This specific example is a particularly desirable and prestigious acquistion and is guaranteed to relieve his chronic GAS syndrome for a minimum of six (fill in the blank)_______________ (hours/days/weeks/months - depending on severity). In addition, the requested price of this item is remarkably low and sure to increase in monetary value as well as to contribute to maritial harmony. Examples of this fine specimen are included forthwith (special thanks to forum member Rob-in-Ottowa):

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

To Whom it May Concern:

1) There are no bad reasons to buy a new guitar.

2) If your husband purchases said guitar, he hereby waives his right to complain about your purchases of new pairs of shoes for a period of at least one year from date of purchase.

#1 is the truth, but #2 I think is the kicker.

Good luck!

This might appeal to Mrs.Brook's practical side:

At $300 thus is less than I can buy the guitar for WHOLESALE ... and mind you, this would be for a Chinese model without a case!

A deal like this is practically like printing your own money! [biggrin]

(It's such a cool guitar too!)

Jim

Dear Mrs. 0711,

As a guitar is an investment, and could be considered a

Capital Gain acqusition, your Husband should be commended for

having the foresight to show concern for your family's financial

wellbeing by taking the steps necessary to provide saleable investment

property. We all must eventually consider the future should the unfortunate

circumstance arrive that we are no longer there.

This outstanding concern for the wellbeing of your family should by all means

be heartily encoureaged.

(How's that?) [biggrin]

Dear MIK Mrs EPI Brooks LP,

Your MIK husband EPI loves LP you MIK sooooo EPI much LP...

I just thought you should know of his subliminal emotions for you!

eggmuffins

Dear Mrs Brooks' date=' your husband really should buy this lovely instrument. And it's totally OK if he decides he needs to upgrade the pickups as well.[/quote']

I have several models of Epis from different decades, and all of the p'ups are OK with me...........a LOT of what gets labeled off as "muddy" or "weak" p'ups is in truth caused by either a cheap, or incorrectly EQ'd amp.........and/or a less than stellar amp speaker.

Well, I should be picking it up tomorrow afternoon when we arrive in that city for our mini-trip. She didn't understand WHY I wanted another guitar, but one analogy got through to her. I had that old drum set just laying around it sold for almost the exact price the seller wanted for the Les Paul. So I asked her, if she could take all of the clothes that she doesn't wear and doesn't like out of her closet and take them into her favorite store and trade the old stuff she doesn't like in for the same exact amount of NEW clothes, shoes, jeans, etc., that she really wanted, would she do it? She said she of course would and i explained that this is EXACTLY what I'm doing with this guitar. It's not me putting a dent in the bank account, but rather me transforming something gathering dust into something that I actually want. I got pics from the seller (would post but they're on my phone and I can't get them off) and it seems to be darker than the new honeyburst of RobinOttawa's that we have all been drooling about. I wont know for sure until I see it in person, but it is closer to resembling the honeyburst in the far left of this picture.

E09-ENSHBCH1.jpg

Could this be because of variables like different factories, 9 years since this one was made, etc? It won't sway my decision one way or another, I was just wondering.

BTW, sorry Duane if this thread made you mad, it was just supposed to be a joke.

BTW' date=' sorry Duane if this thread made you mad, it was just supposed to be a joke.[/quote']

I was joking[biggrin] ...... I was trying to intimidate your Misses[biggrin] .............. However if your Misses is anything like mine, only thing that scares her is a big hairy spider[biggrin]

I was joking[biggrin] ...... I was trying to intimidate your Misses[biggrin] .............. However if your Misses is anything like mine' date=' only thing that scares her is a big hairy spider[biggrin']

Spiders ARE my wife's one fear. I'm pretty sure she would be able to beat up an attacker, stare down a charging bull, or lift a car off our future children, but a spider on the ceiling brings life to a complete halt. I had to "kill" a cobweb the other day because it looked like a spider

LOL!!!!

We had the water-bug scare of 2010[blink] . It found refuge on the ceiling as well, and I must admit I was a bit apprehensive, due to its size...... It looked like something that was left over from the Cretaceous period... I just grabbed the old shop-vac and slurped that bad-boy away[biggrin]

Okay folks' date=' I need your help with this one. The stars have aligned today to form the perfect storm for me. Long story short, here it goes.

1. I sell a drum set today. +$250

2. My wife still hasn't bought my anniversary present and wants to spend about $50.

3. I check the town where we are going this weekend for our mini anniversary vacation and find a [b']2001 Unsung Korea Epi LP Standard Plus top in honeyburst with case for $300.[/b]

But I need your help. Please post responses telling my wife that the older Korean LP's are highly sought after, well worth the money, and a steal for $300 with a case. Thank you all.

Hate to tell you this but I recently bought a nearly pristine '92 Samick LP Standard w/HSC for $150 off a local Craigslist. It ain't Honeyburst though, its flame cherry. There's a pix of it somewhere on the list. I wondered if it was a good deal[confused] . Turned out that it was.

Hate to tell you this but I recently bought a nearly pristine '92 Samick LP Standard w/HSC for $150 off a local Craigslist. It ain't Honeyburst though' date=' its flame cherry. There's a pix of it somewhere on the list. I wondered if it was a good deal[confused'] . Turned out that it was.

A lot of what is considered a "good deal" is basis by basis. I live in a rural part of east texas which is practically void of Epiphone guitars. There is ONE epiphone dealer in a 150 mile radius. I mean the supply is just not here (although the deamnd seems to be among the people I know). The supply of Fender products is unbelievable and you can find deals everywhere. Recently I've seen a mexican strat for $160 and a genuine American strat for $500. Congrats on yours, but I still think the one I'm going after is a good deal considering that I only see around 5 Epi LP Standards for sale per year. I even called around and to buy a NEW Standard in honeyburst I would have to order it in Dallas or Houston and spend $50+ in gas getting there to try it out. There are always BETTER deals to find, but I'll be happy with this one.

Archived