Gibson Brands Forums

Classic Sci Fi Poll

Artie Owl

May the force be with you? Or live long and prosper?

You do not know the power of the dark side? Or you will be assimilated; resistance is futile.

"Your tauntaun will freeze before you hit the first check point! Then I'll see you in HELL!" or "It's continuing mission, to seek out and explore new life, and new civilizations. To boldy go where no man has gone before."

Personally? I enjoyed Star Trek TNG the most, but I will always be a Star Wars fan first and foremost.

What about you guys?

Who? B)

Star Wars, I did like the new Star Trek movie though.

Edit: Although I was not a fan at all of the latest 3 Star Wars movies, the romance was so strained and unemotional between Anakin and Padme (I think they were horrible choices for the roles), and JarJar made me want to go punch Lucas in the face.

I actually like both, but I couldn't vote for both. I used to watch the Star Trek series when I was a kid. A little slow at first with TNG, but after watching for a while, I started to like it better than the series. Then came the movies and I found myself tearing between Kirk & Jean Luc.

Stars Wars is awesome and I really love the way they went back in time with the latest movies... really explained a lot.

I liked the early Star Trek with Kirk, and couldn't stand the later ones. The early actors had character and when they got into a fight they could actually act and their clothes got dirty! The new generation ones the actors were always pristine, serious and boring!.

Can't choose--they're different, and not mutually exclusive. At one point in my life I'd obsessively tune in for Star Trek reruns (or record them on VHS--no DVR in this household,) and I loved the original series, TNG and DS9. I couldn't get into Voyager or Enterprise, though.

Star Wars also holds a special place in me ol' heart ( [lol] ), as the originals are three of my all-time favorite movies. However, there were more problems than I can name with the prequels, most of which involved casting and direction.

I dunno...

Looking at various versions, neither really hit "it." I've fallen asleep or taken off to play guitar during reruns of both, which doesn't happen with a lotta other sorts of movies. <grin>

Don't get me wrong, I tend to be something of a sci fi fan ever since I was a little kid and they were still putting on old Flash Gordon serials at the local summer Saturday afternoon 10-cent movie matinees that in retrospect were awfully "camp."

If anything recent, I've tended to rather like the Matrix series - but then I figure it's also more or less a matter of allegory I may or may not tend to agree with.

So... when I read sci fi it tends to be of the more or less military variety that's more cultural speculative fiction than real "science." Read some David Drake stuff and you'll get the picture.

m

I dunno...

Looking at various versions, neither really hit "it." I've fallen asleep or taken off to play guitar during reruns of both, which doesn't happen with a lotta other sorts of movies. <grin>

Don't get me wrong, I tend to be something of a sci fi fan ever since I was a little kid and they were still putting on old Flash Gordon serials at the local summer Saturday afternoon 10-cent movie matinees that in retrospect were awfully "camp."

If anything recent, I've tended to rather like the Matrix series - but then I figure it's also more or less a matter of allegory I may or may not tend to agree with.

So... when I read sci fi it tends to be of the more or less military variety that's more cultural speculative fiction than real "science." Read some David Drake stuff and you'll get the picture.

m

Have you ever read Frank Herbert's Dune, Milod? I thoroughly enjoyed the original, not so much the ones written afterwards by his son and some other guy.

Artillery Owl...

Yupper, I read Dune some years (decades) ago. <grin>

I found it a bit ponderous.

One reason I like David Drake and some of that bunch that writes for Baen books is that in ways they're putting historical circumstances into a speculative sort of fiction that is a good, one or two night read. I'll admit I'm kinda a fast reader.

Drake, btw, is a classical scholar as well as a Vietnam vet and you can find some of that sorta thing reflected in his stuff, too. I'm not a Viet vet but I've read a little along the classical stuff. (It's been said you're not truly educated until you've read Plutarch at least three times. I've only gone through him once and that was years ago.)

Give Baen Free Library on line a shot and check out "with the lightnings" by Drake as a good read that - if you've studied much of the era of the original Queen Liz of England - is a lot of extra fun to relate to. You can download and read at leisure.

http://baen.org/library/

m

Star Wars 4 life yo.

Word. Somehow Trek is too nerdy for me. I'm a SW geek. I own lightsabers n all. I'd love to save up for the super awesome Vader costume but it's close to $1000 and I know as soon as I had all that cash saved, I'd buy another guitar.

Archived