Gibson Brands Forums

Is Their One Guitarist We All Can Agree On?

Rocky4

I was just wondering if we can find one guitar player that all forum members agree is solid. I'll start eliminating the easy ones.

Jimmy Page - Although he's the greatest rock guitarists ever and few people here have a clue what rock is about, I agree he is sloppy. This doesn't bother me, but I know a lot of you have a problem with that, so I'll toss him out.

Eric Clapton - Peaked in the 60s. I think he still has it, he just doesn't show it.

Stevie Ray Vaughn. To me, he's nothing but an Albert King rip off

Gary Moore - Too heavy handed

Ok, these guitarists are out.

Submitted for your approval......

Brian May

Joe Bonamassa

Jimi Hendrix

Johnny Winter

Ritchie Blackmore

You can knock these off, or add your own.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there anyone out there who would deny that Warren Haynes is a "solid" guitar player?

:-k

And even if Page is sloppy, so what?!? Yup, his book is too expensive, but he's still the mind behind Led Zeppelin.

For me that's enough...

[biggrin]

Almost forgot: Put Duane Allman on that list...

I'll suggest three that I find both faultless and peerless in their respective disciplines.

Andres Segovia.

Django Reinhardt.

Joe Pass.

II think the guitar player should be one we're all familiar with. Outside of Rheinhardt, I've heard little of the other two. I actually thought Joe Pass was a bassist.

Hey, before I joined this forum I had never heard of Randy Rhoads, Warren Haynes, Joe Bonamassa, Zakk Wylde, etc...etc...etc...etc...

I'm not the slightest bit embarrassed by my prior lack-of-knowledge and I'm glad I know them now.

No-one is born knowing the list of 'The Greatest Guitarists of All Time' !

It's through media such as this forum we learn.

Segovia and Pass?

Check them out.

They're rather good.

I stand by my suggestions.

Hey, before I joined this forum I had never heard of Randy Rhoads, Warren Haynes, Joe Bonamassa, Zakk Wylde, etc...etc...etc...etc...

I'm not the slightest bit embarrassed by that and I'm glad I know them now.

No-one is born knowing the list of 'The Greatest Guitarists of All Time!'

It's through media such as this forum we learn.

Quite true.

It is on this very forum that I first learned about Billy Joe Armstrong!

I'm still trying to get over that one...

:blink:

WOW

I can;t believe no one thought of the OL'GUVONER MR JEFF BECK !!!!!!

I was lucky enough to be invited to the LES PAUL GOOD BYE/TRIBUTE show at the IRRIDIUM where JEFF played some of the nicest Gibon's I ever saw.

His tribute to LES was second to NONE...

IMO for guy who claims to NEVER PRACTICE my GOD I would give my left nut to play half as good as JEFF.

Though I am mostly into the BLUES it was odd for me to even see someone say I never heard of BONAMASSA, or the other BLUESMEN that were mentioned, HECK it was THOSE guys that help evolve BLUES into ROCK N ROLL!!!

ALSO ANOTHER 10 GUITARIST"S we can ADD TO THAT LIST are...

1.....ALBERT KING

2.....FREDDIE KING

3.....CARLOS SANTANA

4.....PETER GREEN

5.....BUDDY GUY

6.....MAJIC SLIM

7.....CHET ATKINS

8.....MICK TAYLOR

9.....MAJIC SLIM

10....ERIC CLAPTON ...... and there has to be at least another 20 !!!!

So I guess the answer to the question can we agree on ONE GUITARIST.....NO WAY !!!

TO MANY GREAT GUTARISTS OUT THERE, TO MANY LEFT OFF THAT LIST

IT MIGHT BE EASIER TO PICK ONE FROM EACH GENRE OF MUSIC

ALTHOUGH WE DID COME UP WITH SOME GREAT GUITARISTS

For you guys who aren't to familiar with the BLUES or the contemporary blues artists as well as the elder spokesman of the BLUES...

Go to WWW.ALLIGATOR.COM this site is for Alligator records...a blues ONLY label and they have a constantly running radio with all there artists on it playing all the time,you can purchase anything off the website usually a couple bucks ceaper than at the store.

You'll get to hear some great guitar playin, and be amazed at how many DOORS, LED ZEP, FLEETWOOD MAC, and so many bands who had hits but you'll find a lot of these songs were done in the 40's-60's by BLUESMEN.

REMEMBER it was the BLUES that FATHERED ROCK N ROLL !!!!

CREAM , LED ZEP, STONES, BEATLES, FACES, JOHN MAYALL,HENDRIX, JANIS JOPLIN, CLAPTON..ALL WERE COPING THE OLD BLUEMEN FROM THE SOUTH.

What I found ver interesting about the BLUES is that IT IS REAL......it has it all emotion, soul, funk, rock, the use so man great instruments us ROCKERS let go, like harp, sax, honky tonk piano.

Seem,s liked it was more of a GOOD TIME MUSIC !!!

Sorry for rambling this is a good thread but one that will never be answered with one name or agreed upon by two people !!!

That is a GOOD THING FOR US !!!

St James

This got confusing a lot faster than I thought it would. Too many genres. A lot of guitarists I'm not to keen on simply because of my taste in music. I'm sure this will be the case for a lot of us.

meanwhile let me add Billy Gibbons and Eric Johnson for consideration.

Here is a master list. If you like, you can copy edit, and repost. You can add a guitarist. You can delete a guitarist but give an explanation

Brian May

Joe Bonamassa

Jimi Hendrix

Johnny Winter

Ritchie Blackmore

Rory Gallagher

Warren Haynes

Steve Vai

Billy Gibbons

Eric Johnson

Jeff Beck

Albert King

Freddie King

Carlos Santana

Peter Green

Buddy Guy

Chet Atkins

Mick Taylor

Tony Iommi - The most underated guitar player in history.

Derek Trucks - I can't even explain what it is about him, he's great beyond words

B.B. King - The KING of the blues, no player I know can say so much with one note.

Duane Allman - See Derek Trucks, I think Derek could be Duane reincarnated.

PS How do we not know what rock is about, please explain [confused]

One look at the "Live At Ronnie Scotts" DVD and I realized that Jeff Beck is probably the most technically proficient electric guitarist alive today. He does so many things that other guitarists cannot do.

Of course there is not one guitarist we can all agree on. But even though Jeff isn't my favorite to listen to, he is number one in my mind.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Wow, this old chestnut again..

If we're going for straight up R&R guitarists...

In no particular order of importance..

Page (saw him with The Firm)

Clapton (same night/show with SRV)

Beck

Hendrix

Moore

SRV (saw him the night before he died :( )

Hendrix

Duane Allman

Derek Trucks (saw him last year, I've never seen anything like it since SRV)

Townshend

Going to the Jazz/Rock side of life

Zappa - above all else, by a very wide margin

Fripp

Belew

Hackett

Howe

One look at the "Live At Ronnie Scotts" DVD and I realized that Jeff Beck is probably the most technically proficient electric guitarist alive today. He does so many things that other guitarists cannot do.

Of course there is not one guitarist we can all agree on. But even though Jeff isn't my favorite to listen to, he is number one in my mind.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Absolutely agree 100%. He's pulling tones out of that strat that are surreal. A great DVD, I'm gonna give it another go this weekend. Thanks Notes!

Archived