Gibson Brands Forums

Is Their One Guitarist We All Can Agree On?

Rocky4

Jeff Beck, IS techically proficient, at what he does. Is the the MOST

technically proficient guitarist alive (today)??? As I have not see all

guitars alive, I can't answer that. To agree on any ONE guitarist, is..

IMHO, an impossible endeavor. Too much diversity, in personal tastes, styles,

etc. Beck's great, no doubt! But, there is a plethora, of excellent guitarists,

out there. And...I'm quite sure, a lot of them, we'll never know, or hear about.

CB

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Though I am mostly into the BLUES it was odd for me to even see someone say I never heard of BONAMASSA, or the other BLUESMEN that were mentioned, HECK it was THOSE guys that help evolve BLUES into ROCK N ROLL!!!

St James

That would have been me, then!

Yup. I admit it. Right up until the very moment I heard of him I had never heard of him. Odd, huh?

I also admit I was playing the blues (albeit badly) before Joe Bonamassa, sorry, BONAMASSA was even born.

I guess I must have been listening to a whole different bunch of guys "that help evolve BLUES into ROCK N ROLL".

Ah well. My loss.

I'm not sure why we all have to agree. I can't even pick a favorite to be honest. There's lots of good players out there. I respect many of them for different reasons.

How about Jeff Healey?

mr healey? now were talking! [thumbup]

Tony Iommi - The most underated guitar player in history.

Derek Trucks - I can't even explain what it is about him, he's great beyond words

B.B. King - The KING of the blues, no player I know can say so much with one note.

Duane Allman - See Derek Trucks, I think Derek could be Duane reincarnated.

PS How do we not know what rock is about, please explain [confused]

Someone's never heard of Jim McCarty... [biggrin]

Iommi's fantastic, but he has an indelible and prominent mark in heavy metal history, and after all, he's mentioned rather frequently in metal fandom...

So far, I haven't seen...

-Alex Lifeson

-Arlen Roth

-Hubert Sumlin

-Charlie Christian

-Jimmy McCarty

-Paul Gilbert

-Marty Friedman

-Herb Ellis

-Tal Farlow

-Kim Thayil

-Ralph Macchio ( [lol] )

-Chris Poland

-Keb' Mo'

-"Fast" Eddie Clark

-Robert Nighthawk

-Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown

BUT...I'm not sure how many of you know of how many of them. I do like most of the guys on the master list, but my favorites out of them so far are Brian May, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Winter, Duane Allman, Ritchie Blackmore, Rory Gallagher, Albert and Freddie King, Buddy Guy and Chet Atkins. Atkins, though, is the one I think of most prominently in terms of technique, taste, versatility and creativity--and such a shame it is that he's no longer with us, but he has left humanity with the great gift of some of the most incredible guitar music ever recorded.

Oh also, I like Jimmy Page, and his sloppiness doesn't bother me at all.

I know quite few folk who regard Chet Atkins as just about the most complete guitarist ever AS WELL as being an absolute Gentleman of the very highest order.

It's nice to think that 'Chester and Lester' may be collaborating on a new album even as I type this!

Les Paul: Already on the list, but I had to scroll down a lot until I found he was added. Can't believe it took so long on a Gibson Forum. [confused]

Alex Lifeson: One of the most under-rated guitarists.

i think that les paul is more remembered for "creating" the model rather than being a great player =;

Tony Iommi - The most underated guitar player in history.

Derek Trucks - I can't even explain what it is about him, he's great beyond words

B.B. King - The KING of the blues, no player I know can say so much with one note.

Duane Allman - See Derek Trucks, I think Derek could be Duane reincarnated.

PS How do we not know what rock is about, please explain [confused]

Id say that Buddy Guy is just as good as BB King.

I know quite few folk who regard Chet Atkins as just about the most complete guitarist ever AS WELL as being an absolute Gentleman of the very highest order.

steve vai and brian may also fall into that catagory...i know...iv'e met them both [smile]

Let's nip this in bud straight away.

Asking two guitar players to agree on any best/worst scenario, is like trying to get two people to agree on "God".

Not going to happen, except for nickleback. but they don't count.dry.gif

P.S.

Page was a thief, and a plagiarist IMHO

Archived