Gibson Brands Forums

Forgot I had this thing

duane v

[confused]

I was diggin through the old storage shed outside looking for a spare guitar case, (I need to ship a guitar to a friend).... And I came across this old Del Oro I forgot I had...

Anywhoo, I brought her into my man cave and I'm thinking of having her restored. She has no cracks or structural issues. The fretboard is friggin wide, so I'm thinking this may have been a nylon string instrument, but you don't see many f-hole, floating bridge , trapeze nylon string guitars. [confused]

deloro.jpg

You should just restore it and put each type of string on there and see which one sounds the best. msp_biggrin.gif

I don't know [confused]

The top is pretty thin, and I'm not sure it can handle the down-force of steel strings... Plus I need a nylon string guitar anyhow to play Ricky Ricardo songs

It does look like the kinda thing that would have used silk and steels. In the pre-war era such were kinda common as parlor types of playing.

I'm not certain, but I think the tension on such would not be much more than some nylons. With a trapeze and such there's not all that much pressure on the top anyway compared to a pin bridge.

Someplace when I was googling such things I found a site that had actual tensions of various strings... that might be an interesting part of the project too.

m

Duane, keep the nylon strings!!... Man, my friend would have a mild heart attack if he had that guitar. He's a classical guitar only player and not very, um, rich? Don't mess it up if it's meant to have nylon. Some Virtuoso polish should make it look increadible. Nice find!

Could it have been a 'Silk and steel'?

Here's my 1940's f-hole archtop for a comparison...

AidiMaurallfour-1.jpg

Wrong strings and threading in the snap, however!

Yep, seems to me it was made for both... look at the tailpiece( seems more for steel strings with ball end) and the headstock is more close to the manouche guitar than the classic guitar. BTW duane, nice shed you have [thumbup]

... The fretboard is friggin wide, so I'm thinking this may have been a nylon string instrument, but you don't see many f-hole, floating bridge , trapeze nylon string guitars.

deloro.jpg

Cool lookin' slot head.

With the trapeze and floating bridge, I think Pippy hit it - silk and steel.

BTW Pippy -

Your slot head archtop really looks great. B)

AidiMaurallfour-1.jpg

"Del Oro" A Harmony make? Harmony "f" hole guitars have that same type of 3 piece hole. The tail piece looks like Harmony issue.

The tuner spindle could be the key to string selection. The take up spindles appear to be small like a steel string, un-slotted, head, approx 1/4" - 3/16". "Real" nylon slot heads have bigger spindles / spools close to 1/2" diameter for two reasons: 1 more take-up per revolution, because nylons stretch and stretch and stretch. You need that take-up line capacity to avoid filling up the spool to where it starts to wrap a second layer. 2. A steel strung guitar's take-up spindles need more leverage against the greater pull of the steel strings, therefore they are smaller.

I'm guessing this was originally strung with steel. At one time conventional wisdom was: greater break angle above the nut meant louder. This arrangement makes for greater break angle, and true to Harmony philosophy, sell the folks what they want.

However, given the age, string at your own risk. I'd go ultra lights to lights.

[confused]

I was diggin through the old storage shed outside looking for a spare guitar case, (I need to ship a guitar to a friend).... And I came across this old Del Oro I forgot I had...

Anywhoo, I brought her into my man cave and I'm thinking of having her restored. She has no cracks or structural issues. The fretboard is friggin wide, so I'm thinking this may have been a nylon string instrument, but you don't see many f-hole, floating bridge , trapeze nylon string guitars. [confused]

deloro.jpg

Another "I didn't know I had this", Duane?!?!? Seriously? We so need to talk! [flapper] So, are you shipping me a Gibson? [-o<

This latest one is beautiful! I don't know how you could have packed her away!!

Sheila

Archived